Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
chartrand

Roof on the Premier, I'm so confused

Ok, I thought the Premier had a rubber roof, but while checking out my antenna head I noticed my roof did not appear to be rubber at all... Instead is was a hard plastic, sort of like a cap that would be placed on top? Anyone know what this is, or is it really what everyone calls a rubber roof?

-Pat

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Keystone's website only gives specs up to 2013 models and for those it says
"One Piece Seamless Rubber Roof
Durable rubber roof to last the life time of the trailer"

Most ( if not all ) Keystone trailers have EPDM rubber roofs unless this is something new for '14.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
chartrand

I contacted Keystone and the 2014 Keystone Bullet Premier is not using EPDM, it's using an alpha-ply product now. Here is a link to the product where you can find out more about it. There are two pretty good videos that talk about the product and how to install it.... enjoy...

http://www.alphasystemsinc.com/Produ...roducttypeid=1

-Pat

Propride P3 Hitch
Old 04-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
MISailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrand View Post
I contacted Keystone and the 2014 Keystone Bullet Premier is not using EPDM, it's using an alpha-ply product now.
Jealous (I think). My 200 Cub had a similar "plastic" roof and I think it was much more durable than the EPDM rubber that is on my 2013 Premier.
2023 Ford F150 SuperCrew 5.0L V8, 3.73 Rear Axle (Photo to be updated)
MISailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
therink

Cool. Are these going on all models or just Premier?

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
davidjsimons

I believe the alpha-ply is more of a weight saving effort. It is supposed to be 1/3 lighter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
86GT2r

I hope it holds up better then the plastic roofs on the Fleetwood (Coleman) pop-up campers.
---------------------
86GT2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
f6bits

So…is it as walkable as the EPDM? I imagine it's a lot easier to clean.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
chartrand

I think the material is walk-able as long as the roof is built for it, but I'm not sure the roof on the Premier is really designed to be walked on. Today I swapped out my antenna for a Jack antenna and just used a ladder. When I pushed on the roof there was some give between the beams.

I do not know for sure but after taking a factory tour and seeing them running Bullets and Premiers on the same line, my guess is that the 2014 Bullet will also have the new roof.

Easier to clean... Well you just spray it off, no need to treat it with anything once every so often. It doesn't create the black streaks on the trailer either so that helps keep the rig clean.

I read it holds up better with UV rays, which is good since I'm storing it outside and not under any type of cover.

-Pat

Propride P3 Hitch
Old 02-21-2014, 09:28 PM   #10
Shogunles

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrand View Post
I think the material is walk-able as long as the roof is built for it, but I'm not sure the roof on the Premier is really designed to be walked on. Today I swapped out my antenna for a Jack antenna and just used a ladder. When I pushed on the roof there was some give between the beams.

I do not know for sure but after taking a factory tour and seeing them running Bullets and Premiers on the same line, my guess is that the 2014 Bullet will also have the new roof.

Easier to clean... Well you just spray it off, no need to treat it with anything once every so often. It doesn't create the black streaks on the trailer either so that helps keep the rig clean.

I read it holds up better with UV rays, which is good since I'm storing it outside and not under any type of cover.

-Pat
I called Keystone on this roof as it is a first for me. According to them, it is walkable. However, they do not recommend it of course. I will not be the one to test it out.

Thanks for adding the bit about swapping out your antenna for the Jack Antenna. I wanted to upgrade the antenna as well. And I could not remember which antenna it came with. I only used my Bullet Premier once before winterizing it. I did not have a chance to give the antenna a good look, among other things. And it is up in Upstate NY 150 miles from me at Camping World, getting some issues worked out. So I cannot go out an look at it.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:48 AM   #11
EcoBullet

Very interesting, since I just dragged home a new Premier yesterday. I guess I'll have to get out a ladder and check it out today.
EcoBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:01 AM   #12
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoBullet View Post
Very interesting, since I just dragged home a new Premier yesterday. I guess I'll have to get out a ladder and check it out today.
Congrats! Bought from Deans in Tulsa?
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:09 AM   #13
EcoBullet

I bought it at Jamatt, in Poteau. I live in Broken Bow,all the way in the SE corner.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:23 AM   #14
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
I bought it at Jamatt, in Poteau. I live in Broken Bow,all the way in the SE corner.
Cool.... Have you owned an RV before? Or this your first?

Where will you be camping? Wifey and I mostly camp around Skiatook lake or Grand (south side so we have access to lake and ATV areas)...

Have also taken trips to Tenkiller, Tallequah, Waynoka, Siloam Springs, Western AR, etc....
Old 02-22-2014, 08:12 AM   #15
chartrand

Quote:
Congrats on the new RIG, Its a really nice model and looks very sharp.

Propride P3 Hitch
Old 02-22-2014, 09:13 AM   #16
PT RV`er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogunles View Post
Thanks for adding the bit about swapping out your antenna for the Jack Antenna. I wanted to upgrade the antenna as well. And I could not remember which antenna it came with. I only used my Bullet Premier once before winterizing it. I did not have a chance to give the antenna a good look, among other things. And it is up in Upstate NY 150 miles from me at Camping World, getting some issues worked out. So I cannot go out an look at it.
Believe me, the factory installs the cheapest antenna they have. Before I swapped mine out for the Jack antenna I couldn`t get but one channel. I right away I knew I needed to change it out. Same thing as on my old Dutchman. The Jack antenna works great, I get upwards of 25 channels in my area.

PT RV`er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #17
EcoBullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
Cool.... Have you owned an RV before? Or this your first?

Where will you be camping? Wifey and I mostly camp around Skiatook lake or Grand (south side so we have access to lake and ATV areas)...

Have also taken trips to Tenkiller, Tallequah, Waynoka, Siloam Springs, Western AR, etc....
Thanks SAD, and you too Chartrand!

It is our 3rd TT, and we've only been at it since 2008. I hope we keep this one much longer. I just figured up that we spent about 55 nights in our 2011 model and, with the depreciation hit, taxes, insurance, and maintenance, it cost about $10,000. That comes out to about $182/night - some pretty expensive lodging, and that doesn't even count campground fees or the extra gas burned towing it 7,000 miles.

But, I just retired and my dreams are to take it on several 2 week to 2 month trips a year. We just got back from a 23 day trip to Florida. We have firm plans for a 2-3 week trip to the Missouri Ozarks in April and are still undecided between Kentucky and West Virginia, or Colorado and New Mexico for the summer.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #18
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Thanks SAD, and you too Chartrand!

It is our 3rd TT, and we've only been at it since 2008. I hope we keep this one much longer. I just figured up that we spent about 55 nights in our 2011 model and, with the depreciation hit, taxes, insurance, and maintenance, it cost about $10,000. That comes out to about $182/night - some pretty expensive lodging, and that doesn't even count campground fees or the extra gas burned towing it 7,000 miles.

But, I just retired and my dreams are to take it on several 2 week to 2 month trips a year. We just got back from a 23 day trip to Florida. We have firm plans for a 2-3 week trip to the Missouri Ozarks in April and are still undecided between Kentucky and West Virginia, or Colorado and New Mexico for the summer.
I envy you. I'll be 43 this year... Hoping to retire at 55. Trying to figure out how to make that happen.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:40 AM   #19
EcoBullet

Don't wish your life away. Have fun while you can, and SeaDoos are fun!
Old 02-22-2014, 11:50 AM   #20
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Don't wish your life away. Have fun while you can, and SeaDoos are fun!
Considering selling the skis. Pontoon/tritoon in our future. First grand kid due this summer. Skis don't don't work so well for "family friendly" weekend trips. Bad part is I doubt I could fit it in my shop where the skis currently park. Would have to park outside (in the elements) or figure something else out.