Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2019, 12:38 PM   #41
bustersdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Weights are an ongoing subject of discussion and rightfully so. Discussions around the comments of "the dealer" said it would be OK; the "salesman" said it would be OK abound. As most should know, those folks are there to sell you something….not determine if you, or your vehicle, are qualified to carry a specific load.

Case in point; spent the morning/afternoon looking at various 5th wheels. Asked for a seasoned salesman I knew. Low key; very knowledgeable about the RVs, straightforward and honest. I told him that weight was a consideration because I was going to buy a new truck predicated on the trailer we chose, if any. As we discussed various units the number he threw out for weight was the dry weight...every time. I told him my current payload, what I figured for pin weight and that it would be based off of gvw - and THAT would determine what I bought for a truck....as should everyone else.

I spent several hours there and I asked, everytime, what the gvw was because he recited the dry weight every time. As we went here and there I talked to him pretty much constantly about the importance of weights and not trying to steer folks to units that were too big. I showed him the stickers, gvw and axle ratings and how that related to the tow truck ratings for payload and gvw...on the door.. He's generally their top salesman and has been there longer than the others. The conversations we had were a first for him...he was indoctrinated to sell...using a "selling" number. Super nice guy; very open to listening to what I was saying. I asked him to keep the numbers I mentioned in mind when talking to potential customers and he said he would - I think he will.

A story from today to just illustrate to anyone that thinks the "salesman" said it was OK....is OK. As well intentioned as they may be, they have "their" agenda...as a buyer you should have yours - the safety of your family. Sometimes at odds with the salesmans idea of "taking care of you". Just food for thought.
Basically do your homework
bustersdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 03:33 PM   #42
brodiegg

Yep I was a newbie, but asked dealers, Ram dealer, and Ram main office, everyone assured me my truck was fine, of course it was not. Yes, dealers are trying to sell, If they were held responsible for mismatching, the problem hundreds have experienced would most likely end, but it will not happen
brodiegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 04:53 PM   #43
guitarboy52

Vehicle Tow Weight

When we purchased our 2018 Keystone Passport 2520 RL, I owned a 2016 Silverado 1500, was assured we had plenty of truck. It wasn't to bad for local, but as we were planning a southern trip I found that wasn't true. GRV for our passport is 7000 lbs., that left little room for error. Moved up to 2500 HD Silverado, which almost doubled our pull behind capacity. We are now in the market for a 1/2 ton 5th wheel. The 2500 HD will handle 14,000 lb. + GVW 5th wheel. Looking for 5th wheel with GVW of around 11,000 lb., that gives us a little over a 20% grace. I think this is necessary for hilly and mountain terrains.
guitarboy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:11 PM   #44
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy52 View Post
When we purchased our 2018 Keystone Passport 2520 RL, I owned a 2016 Silverado 1500, was assured we had plenty of truck. It wasn't to bad for local, but as we were planning a southern trip I found that wasn't true. GRV for our passport is 7000 lbs., that left little room for error. Moved up to 2500 HD Silverado, which almost doubled our pull behind capacity. We are now in the market for a 1/2 ton 5th wheel. The 2500 HD will handle 14,000 lb. + GVW 5th wheel. Looking for 5th wheel with GVW of around 11,000 lb., that gives us a little over a 20% grace. I think this is necessary for hilly and mountain terrains.
The pin weight on fifth wheels is usually pretty heavy and can eat up the payload capacity in a 2500 truck pretty quickly. If you haven’t checked it, the payload capacity for your truck is listed on a sticker in the drivers side door. “The total weight of occupants and cargo shall not exceed xxxxlbs.” For planning, the hitch weight of your fifth wheel is 20% of the trailers GVWR. Or for an 11000 lb trailer the hitch weight is about 2200lbs. Sorry if you knew all of this already, I would hate to see you get in another situation where you have too much trailer and not enough truck.

Good luck!
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, tow vehicle