Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2019, 06:27 AM   #1
MarkEHansen

Water pressure regulators

When we purchased our trailer, we also picked up a water pressure reducer.

After reading on these forums, we now want to get a real regulator. The ones that were recommended were pretty expensive ($300-$500 range). This seems like a lot of money. Is there any reason one like this would not work?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07171VDQR...pa_dk_detail_1

It's only around $35. I could even purchase 2 so I have a spare.

Thanks,
Old 04-05-2019, 06:38 AM   #2
66joej

Purchased one of these. Looks like the same one under a different name. Works great.
"Signstek Water Pressure Regulator, Brass Lead-Free Adjustable Water Pressure Reducer with Gauge for RV, and Inlet Screened Filter,for Home Garden and Campsites
by Signstek
4.5 out of 5 stars 69 customer reviews | 4 answered questions
Amazon's Choice."

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:13 AM   #3
notanlines

Mark, that is EXACTLY what you need. Absolutely no need to go any further!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:51 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

This is the regulator I bought in 2016 (when my previous one was crushed when I ran over it). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Today, on Amazon, it's about $45. While I can't confirm that the one in the link you posted is/is not the same quality (it may be even better) I can say that the one I bought has worked flawlessly for the past 4 seasons and still looks/works like new.

The one in your link may be the same with a different branding. If so, it's a good buy at $35. On the other hand, if it has "less expensive internal parts" it may not be. I can't comment on the reliability of that regulator, but can on the one I bought. I'd buy mine again if I needed another.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:36 AM   #5
TJO

Been using one for two years works great. Price is right as well.
TJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:09 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
When we purchased our trailer, we also picked up a water pressure reducer.

After reading on these forums, we now want to get a real regulator. The ones that were recommended were pretty expensive ($300-$500 range). This seems like a lot of money. Is there any reason one like this would not work?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07171VDQR...pa_dk_detail_1

It's only around $35. I could even purchase 2 so I have a spare.

Thanks,

That is the unit I've been using for 2 seasons with no issues. It is definitely much better than the cheap "pressure reducers".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:36 AM   #7
Alpine

Yup.... been using the $35.00 one for years! You will only need one.... no sense dragging around the extra weight!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:30 PM   #8
FlyingAroundRV

We bought a Camco regulator from Walmart for around $35. They're not a stock item so you have to "click n collect". So far (1 season) it seems to be working ok.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:34 PM   #9
daveinaz

looks like the one we got.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't trust those ones without a gauge.
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:42 PM   #10
Gegrad

I have the same one John linked to above and can testify it is a good regulator and all you need. Can't say I have ever even seen one $300+, let alone that be the recommended one. The only RV accessories I have seen that pricey are voltage regulators for the electrical, not water regulators.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:13 PM   #11
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
. The only RV accessories I have seen that pricey are voltage regulators for the electrical, not water regulators.
A surge protector/ems is highly recommended as well as one the the above mentioned water regulators.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:35 AM   #12
Apalinto

Good information from all! Let me ask this, what is the recommended water pressure for these Keystone rigs? We have an "in line " regulator set at 50 psi. Appreciate your input.
Apalinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:57 AM   #13
jsb5717

Most non-adjustable regulators are set at 40-45 psi. Mine is adjustable and I keep it at 45 psi
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:04 AM   #14
pdaniel

That is the type I use. Works better than the reducers.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:04 AM   #15
Modifier

I have used a pressure regulator like this one:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Watts-Press...ulator/3309168
Plumb it in permanently (if you have room) and you will never have to think about the problem of water pressure as long as you own your RV. I have used one of these for about 40 years on several trailers and have never had a problem.
Modifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:13 AM   #16
mike and peggy

I purchased a water regulator about 5 years ago (on Amazon) and it's still working. It's still less than $30.

(Search Amazon for: Signstek Water Pressure Regulator)

I kind of cheated a bit in how I set up the regulator and how I reduce the pressure comming into our RV.
Many of the parks we stay at have high water pressure (much more than 65psi).

I like sufficient pressure in our RV for our showers and other uses so I do the following: I attached the regulator directly to the RV's water inlet and have it set at 65psi.

I connect two 50-foot high-pressure hoses together that connect directly to the campground's water spigot.
The 100-foot length that the water has to travel through reduces the pressure somewhat.
The hose then connects to my filter unit that has 3 water filters - 2 of which have a 1-micron rating
(which also reduces the pressure). At our home RV park, the hose from the filters attach to our softwater unit which is then attached to the pressure regulator. At other campgrounds, the hose from the filters are attached to the pressure regulator.

Also, years ago, I replaced our showerheads with the following:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They cost less than $8 and give nice strong showers even in low water pressure times. They worked so great, I put them in our house, also.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:42 PM   #17
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apalinto View Post

Good information from all! Let me ask this, what is the recommended water pressure for these Keystone rigs? We have an "in line " regulator set at 50 psi. Appreciate your input.
I don't know if this is the right method to set the regulator, but it's what I did.
The water pump in our Outback has a sticker that says the pump produces 2.4 Bar. I think the number is correct, but I can't verify that at the moment. I looked up the conversion in PSI and I set our regulator for a bit more than that.
The water pressure in the shower when we're on mains water is a bit whimpy, but sufficient to have a shower with.
I set the pressure as I did for two reasons
1) To reduce the likelihood of causing leaks at the joints in our plumbing, especially those that aren't easy or possible to see and check.
2) To prevent excess inlet pressure from jamming the non return valve in the pump itself. We had this happen before we got a regulator.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:21 AM   #18
jimborokz

We have used this regulator for years without issues. Don't buy two, you won't need a spare as this will last for many years. I set ours at 65psi. Most parks we stay at are less then that already. IMHO the plumbing in newer trailers with pex tubing is much stronger than older trailers with thin plastic tubes. I have tested ours at nearly 100psi w/o any leaks but that much pressure is unnecessary. Shower is where you need the pressure and 55-65 should be plenty.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:28 AM   #19
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
IMHO the plumbing in newer trailers with pex tubing is much stronger than older trailers with thin plastic tubes. I have tested ours at nearly 100psi w/o any leaks but that much pressure is unnecessary. Shower is where you need the pressure and 55-65 should be plenty.
Earlier I posted that I keep mine at 45 psi. I've been camping a long time and this is the number that was recommended a long time ago and I haven't really thought much about it for years. Perhaps time to re-evaluate. The plumbing systems have improved considerably. And now, with PEX being used, which is the same as in my house, it would stand to reason that higher pressures can safely be used. The main difference between my 5er and my house is the added stress of bouncing the plumbing down the road.

Keystone is quite silent on the matter. The owners manual recommends the use of a regulator but makes no statements as to pressure. It only says to keep an eye on it for leaks...not much help.

Any pressure system is only as good as it's weakest point. I don't know where that is in my rig. Is PEX used throughout? All fittings and joints?

Since it's not likely that we will get any definitive help from Keystone on the matter it becomes an experience/common sense thing. I've seen other online conversations that would support the notion that 60-65 psi is a safe range for newer RV's. No doubt the PEX will easily handle that pressure. I wouldn't mind a little better water pressure, especially in the shower so I'm inclined to give it a try and then do what Keystone says...keep an eye on it.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:35 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
We have used this regulator for years without issues. Don't buy two, you won't need a spare as this will last for many years. I set ours at 65psi. Most parks we stay at are less then that already. IMHO the plumbing in newer trailers with pex tubing is much stronger than older trailers with thin plastic tubes. I have tested ours at nearly 100psi w/o any leaks but that much pressure is unnecessary. Shower is where you need the pressure and 55-65 should be plenty.
You're correct in stating that the PEX used in modern trailers is stronger than the PVC or ABS tubing used in older trailers. BUT: remember that the fittings are still PVC/ABS and just as weak as they were "years ago". Towing a modern trailer over the "rough roads" we all face these days, it's not uncommon to "twist and shake" the elbows, Tee and reducer fittings, causing them to either leak or weaken from being flexed. Most owners find that 40-50 PSI is enough pressure to have reasonable "shower performance" while still protecting the plumbing from excessive pressure. Of course, this is "just my opinion" and not a requirement for anyone else to follow.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pressure