Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Notices

Old 04-17-2019, 03:40 AM   #21
jsm180

Reese is not owned by Lippert. I thought the same thing but a phone call to Lippert set me straight. They approve the use of the Goose Box but do not manufacture it. A huge plus in my book for the Goose Box.

Horizon Global Corporation owns Reese.

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

http://www.reeseprod.com/

Old 04-17-2019, 06:39 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Reese is NOT owned by Lippert and as far as I know, there is no connection between the two companies.

As for the Andersen "million dollar guarantee". Do a quick search on this forum and you'll find at least one owner with damage that was "attributed to the Andersen hitch" and the company's response: We'll do our internal investigation and let you know if we believe your damage was caused by our hitch. Until then, he always believed that if Keystone/Lippert refused the warranty, the Andersen "guarantee" would cover it. Turns out it's only the beginning and unless their "internal review" approves, you'd best hope you have good insurance to cover damages, otherwise, it's an expensive lesson in reading the fine print buried deep in that "million dollar guarantee"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:26 PM   #23
John&Genny

John: I think I know what post you are referring to, and as I recall, Keystone/LCI “claimed” the crack was caused by the Andersen hitch, when most likely it was caused by a faulty weld in the structure. It was just a way for them to get out of the warranty work. Now, I will agree that Andersen should step up to cover the repairs even if it wasn’t the actual fault of the hitch, but in reality, they are under no obligation to do so.

What I would like to see is Andersen work with LCI and get their hitch certified so this becomes a non-issue.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:55 AM   #24
5J's

Thanks for setting me straight guys. You are absolutely correct a quick net search shows Reese is a Horizon Global brand. When I was in the market I was seriously considering the Anderson hitch. I made a call to Lippert to ask about the use of the Anderson and I was told the Goosebox was the only goose neck they would endorse. I shared that with my dealer who then told me about the Reese/LCI connection. I should've known to question what he said. Just goes to show the ole dealer ain't on top of the game.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

1997 F-350 7.3L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:11 AM   #25
jsb5717

Ditto on Andersen. Since the config of the hitch maintains the designed stress point of the 5er I don't see how an Andersen hitch could cause damage any more than any standard 5th wheel hitch. In fact, depending on the standard hitch used, the Andersen would provide less stress since there would be no pin binding at extreme angles.

Manufacturer is just dodging responsibility for faulty build quality given the haste with which many of the coaches are built. One bad day on the line and someone will have a broken weld. Any one can end up with a lemon. I know...that's what I got with my previous rig.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:33 PM   #26
MustBeNice

Not to hijack, but I see the OP has already ordered his B&W Slider.....

So, I have a very similar situation..... 2016 Cougar X-Lite 28DBI & 2015 RAM 3500 CCSB and look for the right hitch. Was thinking the standard B&W Companion for RAM mounts.... and just configuring head uprights to rear-most position. Now after reading this, I'm on the fence (still).

The only difference / adder I have from the OP is that I occasionally "tandem tow", but ~14-15K is just that on either a 20K or 24K rated hitch & 17K rated truck.

So I ask.... Does anyone have experience with the B&W Slider (RVK3670) ? Is it solid in the forward (high speed) locked position? As I always associate moving parts to wear, which = rattles and noise?!

NOTES: I've pulled this same camper with my past truck (a 2009 Chevy 2500HD CCSB w/ rail mounted Reese 15K Pro series hitch) for 3+ years no issue and no slider. Couldn't quite get to 90° (maybe 80+°) when tested on flat ground, but still no issue.

Any & All thoughts would be great.....
MustBeNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 04:48 PM   #27
drew999999

I have the Ford version of the Companion slider and I’ve had zero play when locked in the forward (towing) position. When hooked the entire rig feels very tight and quiet. No doubt you’d be happy with that hitch.
drew999999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:12 PM   #28
MustBeNice

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew999999 View Post
I have the Ford version of the Companion slider and I’ve had zero play when locked in the forward (towing) position. When hooked the entire rig feels very tight and quiet. No doubt you’d be happy with that hitch.
Drew, thanks for your input on the companion sliders quality! May I ask how many times or how often you’ve needed or used it in the rear maneuvering position??
Old 04-19-2019, 09:44 AM   #29
drew999999

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustBeNice View Post
Drew, thanks for your input on the companion sliders quality! May I ask how many times or how often you’ve needed or used it in the rear maneuvering position??
So far I haven't needed to use it other than testing to make sure I knew how it worked if needed. When I was going through the decision making process as to whether to get the slider or not, I decided that saving money to go without the slider would cost more in the long run if I ended up needed to switch. I will admit that I was able to get my 5er cut pretty sharp before I got close to the cab, and probably could have gotten really close to a true 90 degree turn. But this was on a perfectly level parking lot. Once I got to looking at it and thinking what would happen if I were on unlevel ground, I definitely see how I could make contact very easily with a less tight turn. For me, the option to slide is worth the extra cost and weight. My FW is a 2019 Sprinter model, so it has a pretty well designed front cap with short beds in mind.
drew999999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:32 PM   #30
MustBeNice

Thanks for the additional input..... I completely understand the logic of pay a little extra now instead of a lot later. Which makes me lean towards the slider. But it seems like 95% of those with a slider say the only time they’ve used it is to check how it works and the ones that have had issues (read about a u-turn), it wouldn’t have helped anyways. So that makes me lean back towards the standard.... and just adjust it fully back and just watch what I’m doing?!

Tags
5th wheel, hitch, slide