Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2019, 05:08 AM   #1
bmcvazquez

Void Warranty?

Greetings to all,

I purchased a new 2019 Cougar Half-ton 29bhs in January. I purchased an extended warranty for the peace of mind. I would like to install two side cameras for increased safety and parking ability. Would drilling a 1/2" hole on the sides of my travel trailer void the manufacturer's or extended warranty? Of course, I would make the necessary weather sealing for this application. Thank you in advance for your time and guidance.

Sincerely,
Jay
bmcvazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:14 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Void Warranty?

You can bypass the drilling by using Furrions kit that includes 2 side cameras. The side cameras replace the front clearance lights so no drilling is required.

I’m not sure what drilling a hole would do to the warranty.

https://furrion.com/collections/came...-marker-lights
7” monitor also available

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:39 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm NOT a "warranty expert" but here's the way I interpret the Keystone warranty:

If you modify the trailer "IN ANY WAY" and then claim a warranty repair "ON THAT COMPONENT" Keystone will likely refuse the repair.

If you modify "ANY COMPONENT" of the trailer and an "UNRELATED COMPONENT" fails, then Keystone will likely honor the repair.

As examples, if you "drill a small hole in the FILON sidewall and have a problem with the refrigerator or the furnace or a window on the sidewall, there wouldn't be a problem with the repairs (assuming nothing was done "by you to them".... On the other hand, if you "drill a small hole in the FILON sidewall and have an issue with "FILON delamination about 6" from that hole, you can almost bet your last dollar that Keystone will refuse to even discuss any responsibility for the repair. (that said, if the delamination is on the other end of the FILON panel, well, chances are they'll never even consider your mod as a cause).....

Now as for extended warranties, they are a "horse of a different color" and some of the "less than up front and honorable ones" do look for any reason to "keep your money and run" while others operate more on the lines of "level headed decisions." Which is "your extended warranty?" Read the warranty document (it's really an insurance policy) with the understanding that "the large print giveth and the small print taketh away" so "read between the lines" as to what their intent is in the obscure, small print......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:04 AM   #4
bmcvazquez

Thank you for the information.
bmcvazquez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty