Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2018, 05:57 PM   #21
CarGuy

I will not do it for the same reason given to not use empty freon tanks for air tanks. These bottles are not strong enough to refill. Every time a tank is pressurized it expands a little then when pressure is released it contracts. This causes the metal to flex and continued flexing of metal causes it to weaken. It may work most of the time but it only takes one failure to cause a bad day/month/year/life.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:52 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

So here's the deal to me, to the folks that are going to "cheat the curve" and save $1 on a disposable bottle....really? And refill it when it is fully understood that it is 1) illegal, and 2) extremely dangerous. Doing stupid things don't always result in the terrible ways they should. Some times you just get lucky and things just play out....until, stuff happens, and you get what you should have got for being dumb. In the example Jim gave it wasn't the idiot paying the price while filling the little bottle...it was his wife. I, and any of you, should not condone, or have time for, folks that would skimp out, go cheap, look for excuses to reuse these bottles; they may be camped next to you. You can either afford to have an RV and do it full tilt, or..get a tent. Cheap, is for those that shouldn't be RVing. JMO
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:18 PM   #23
travelin texans

For those "that have been doing it for years" if you take anything away from this thread make that #1 - never do your refill indoors, #2 - do it as far away from me, & everyone else, that I'd just barely see the smoke.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:21 PM   #24
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
For those "that have been doing it for years" if you take anything away from this thread make that #1 - never do your refill indoors, #2 - do it as far away from me, & everyone else, that I'd just barely see the smoke.

Then how could we record it for Live Leak??
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:13 AM   #25
WNY Bullet

I do not refill them. Actually I stopped using them altogether. I bought a fillable 5lb tank that I use strictly for my grill. Where I get my propane filled, they charge by the gallon, so it is the same price per gallon as I pay for my 30lb tanks. The tank itself was not cheap, but for the convenience it was worth it for me.
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:30 PM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

Big dollar truck, big dollar trailrt, big dollar grill, all that plus personal safety on the line for a couple of dollars saved? To me this just does not compute. In years past before the on board quick disconnects I to used a 5 lb. tank. It took very little space and typically lasted a full season.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:15 AM   #27
larryflew

Although it is MUCH cheaper to refill at near $1 it is a bit of a pita. Did it for years but recently converted 3 things to use larger bottles. Still do it for 2 torches but that doesnt happen often. Very easy and safe to do. I would recommend you use soap bubbles after filling to make sure everything reset and there are no leaks. Have had 2 leakers out of maybe 100 (which equals approx $400 savings). Doesnt matter if stored in open area but could if stored in closed in spaces.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:21 AM   #28
SkiSmuggs

You can buy refillable 1lb bottles. They pay for themselves quickly. But a hose from a 20 gal tank is my favorite for using my Blackstone. I use the small ones in case I need Mr Heater.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:56 AM   #29
MrEnto

I bought a little 1 gal propane cylinder a long time ago and love it for the grill. Initial cost was a bit pricey but it’s easy to handle and rarely needs refill. Stores well in my 5th wheels propane tank compartment with the dual 30’s.
MrEnto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:09 AM   #30
NHcamper

Simple solution and no need to recycle. Get a small refillable propane tank. can get ones that are 1 Lb., 5 Lb etc. easy to fill, safe and LIGHT. example. https://www.amazon.com/Worthington-2...l+propane+tank
NHcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:25 AM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

A few years ago I bought a disposable canister refill adapter on one of the Amazon Lightening Sales for $2. When it arrived, I read the instructions and thought, "No way am I going to turn a 20 pound propane tank upside down over a hole between 2 cinder blocks with a 1 pound disposable bottle hanging off of the adapter.... It all sounded good on the description, but reviewing the instructions, it just didn't seem like something I wanted to do in my back yard. So, I put it in the "junk drawer" in the trailer, thinking that if I ever ran into an emergency in the woods, I'd try it. So far, it's still in the "junk drawer" in the aged, yellow bag that it came in. I suppose when I do my next "trailer weight reduction survey" it'll probably get moved to the "seldom used tool box" in the pole barn......

Some things just don't add up to a savings when I can count the disposable propane bottles I've bought in the past 5 years on my fingers (without taking off my shoes)........

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:20 AM   #32
Uncle Dougie

2019 Passport Elite 19RB/$20,000, 2009 F15 lariat/$15000, Your Life/priceless! To risk all of these to save $2 on a bottle of propane just does not make sense. Our hardware store refills propane cylinders and I sometimes shutter at the risk some people will take. If you must save a few bucks, please, PLEASE invest in a refillable 1lb cylinder and let someone properly trained refill it for you.
Uncle Dougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:52 AM   #33
yubacamper

You can fill them but you take a chance on wasting propane if they leak. I went with reusable bottles by FlameKing. I don't use their refilling adapter, I made my own. Takes about five refills to pay for themselves.
yubacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:12 PM   #34
mcomeaux

I adapted my Weber Q1200 to hook up to my external LP fitting outside my trailer.
Not sure as mentioned earlier make it so you can use a larger bottle at home use.
Those little bottles are a pain in the A@@ and costly....
mcomeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:22 PM   #35
rdemore

I gave also refilled for years with the freezer method with no issues. I always store them outside (back of truck) and discard when they start to look bad. It takes about 5 minutes to do several. I think the cost to refill is about $.50.
rdemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:16 PM   #36
captcolour

The Flame King's had a recall about a year ago. Better check what you are using.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:25 AM   #37
HammerToe

There is no such thing as ‘SAFE’. There are only DEGREES of ‘safety’ and its inverse ‘risk’. In the context of this specific issue - is it ‘SAFE’ to refill and use small 1 pound propane cylinders, the ‘short answer’ is ‘YES’ - it is ACCEPTABLY ‘safe’ as long as you use the gift that God gave you encased in your skull and located between your ears. You have to understand the risks and how to take precautions to minimize them and if you do, it will be (almost universally agreed by people who understand this) as ‘SAFE ENOUGH’.
Rules and tips:
• Do all the work outdoors.
• Use only ‘Good’, ‘Undamaged’ and ‘Not Too Old’ propane cylinders. (When you acquire any, you might want to write the date – YYYY-MM-DD - on it with a black marking pen and discard it when it is, say, over 5 years old. ‘Me’ - I do this but maintain a current stock of newer ones by picking up new and discarded ones at campgrounds left behind by departing campers).
• Have a brand-new and full 1 pound cylinder around for reference, OR at least know the weight of a brand-new and full 1 pound cylinder, ideally in grams. (For this purpose I own and use one of several digital, high precision kitchen scales that way in grams).
• Obtain the weight in grams of a full, new 1 pound cylinder from ‘somewhere’, weighing one if necessary.
• Before using any adapter/connector warm up the 20 pound tank and ‘really cool off’/you can even ‘freeze’ the cylinders you want to fill.
• Take the small cylinder out of the fridge/freezer after (say) ½ hour or so, connected up to the adapter connected to the big tank, invert the tank (if it isn’t already inverted), open whatever valves may need to be opened and ‘let ‘er rip’. (You won’t blow up the small tank; propane will stop flowing into it once the pressures equalize between the big tank and small tank).
• Close whatever/any valves you may need to close, disconnect the small tank from the adapter, WEIGH IT and, if it weighs more than a brand-new and full 1 pound cylinder, bleed off some excess propane by depressing the Schrader valve pin. Basically, get its weight down to no more than the weight of a new and full 1 pound cylinder.
• THEN: carefully test the refilled 1 pound cylinder by submerging it in more or less room temperature water and watch for leaks/BUBBLES emerging from either the main connector or the Schrader valve.
• If you don’t got no bubbles/signs of leakage, you are okay to go.
Note: always store propane tanks of any size in a well ventilated area. Even if they might have leaks, almost invariably they are so small that as long as there is adequate ventilation, particularly on/at/THROUGH the bottom of the storage container/compartment, it will disperse and you will not have any problems.
Why should you go through the trouble of refilling small 1 pound propane containers?
Well, I’m with those folks who don’t like paying 4 or $5 for a single cylinder AND I don’t like the idea of all of these things winding up in landfills. Plus, I ‘go through’ a fair number of them. I own and use a ‘Big Buddy’ catalytic heater and while I could, I suppose, connected up to an external (say) 20 pound propane tank or even ‘plumb it in’ to the low pressure side of my trailers propane distribution system, I prefer to just swap in refilled one pounders as necessary. ‘No big deal’.
Again – bottom line – use your head. Learn HOW to do it safely/learn and follow the right procedures RELIGIOUSLY. And the risk of anything going wrong is EXTREMELY SMALL. And I mean ‘EXTREMELY’.
There is no such thing as ‘Safe’.
HammerToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:34 AM   #38
Hodgy

HammerToe spoken like a true Toban.

A year a go I bought brass screw on caps for my 1 pounders, I could not find the exact ones but here are some the same.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pack-of-10p...sid=m570.l1313

They are better than the black plastic ones the the bottles come with. They seal with the rubber gasket and protect the thread on the bottle.

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:51 AM   #39
mfifield01

While on the topic. Is there a good quick connect to 1lb adapter? My TT has the quick connect for a grill on the back. You could just utilize the tanks you are already carrying.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:48 AM   #40
MerlinB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
While on the topic. Is there a good quick connect to 1lb adapter? My TT has the quick connect for a grill on the back. You could just utilize the tanks you are already carrying.
The problem with that idea is the gas coming from your RV's quick connector has already been regulated down to the pressure (11" w.c.) required for the burners in your stove, refrigerator, water heater, etc. Your grill has a built-in regulator where the 1 lb bottles attach and probably will not pass the low pressure gas coming from your RV. You have to bypass that regulator some way.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas