Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2018, 08:23 AM   #21
gzrglide

Larryi, I pulled a sierra 371REBH with a Andersen Ultimate Hitch using an F-250 CCSB Lariat 4x4 for over 5000 miles since November of 2016. I put the B&W flip over gooseneck ball in the bed of the truck to make it easy to have a clean bed when everything was removed. It worked great. My only issue was the amount of porpoising I got from the F250 being somewhat overloaded. I added air bags, and upgraded the shocks to attempt to address this. Ultimately I went to an F350 Lariat Dually Crew Cab 4x4. I still use the same Andersen Hitch and have had no problems with it or with maneuvering in the short bed f250 or the long bed f350. My method of addressing Jowen's problem was to install the release handle for the pin in the coupler on the drivers side of my 5er where I can see it in the drivers side rearview mirror and can readily see if the handle is pushed in to lock the pin in place or if the handle is pulled out any at all. I did have one time that I got in the truck getting ready to take off and as always checked my mirrors and saw the handle sticking out, so I immediately remedied the problem.

With all that said, I am considering changing to the Reese Goose Box in an attempt to smooth the ride in the 5th wheel and keep from bouncing things around so badly on rough roads. On youtube, Big Truck Big RV has reviewed both the Andersen and also the Goose box if you want to see video's of both, his reviews are usually pretty straight forward and informative.

Hope you enjoy the 5er when you get it.
A wife, A Daughter, A Granddaughter, and two Great Danes that all love to camp.
gzrglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:32 AM   #22
gkainz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie Waterman View Post
I have B&W standard rails and their Patriot 18k hitch, cut my Ram rubber bedliner for the rails and they don't stick up above it. The Anderson looks like the best if you want to install and remove a hitch a lot though, but one question: How do you remove the ball that sticks up into the bed after you remove the Anderson? Just a pin? Also the Anderson doesn't offer height adjustment.
B&W or other turnover ball in the bed gives you a completely clean bed (regardless of which goose neck ball to 5th wheel system you choose).

Andersen does offer height adjustment, as the (upper) ball has 3 height adjustments: 16-3/4" lower position, 17-7/8" middle position and 19-1/8" upper position (from bed of truck to top of ball mount)
https://andersenhitches.com/Products...k-version.aspx

I see that Andersen now offers 2 different height Ultimate Hitches as well.
https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/...onnection.aspx
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:18 PM   #23
SC Dreamer

The ball in my bed releases inside wheel well then flip it over. The Andersen actually does allow height adjustment. The aluminum ball on top has three hole positions for that.
SC Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:03 PM   #24
Howie

There are setups that allow you to actually flip or "lye down" the ball without getting into the bed of the truck, others allow you to release the pins holding it from the outside of the bed and then you just lift out and put a cap over hole. You are incorrect about the Anderson concerning height adjustment, mine has 3 different heights you can choose.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:53 AM   #25
2Savages

The Pullrite 20K Hitch for 5ers is a convenient system to return my truck back to a normal use for hauling other things such as lumber. It disassembles in minutes with 3 major pieces weighing 25 to 50 lbs a piece. I have 4 holes in the bed surface the size of a coffee cup and the support frame is mounted underneath the bed.
Attached Images

2Savages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:59 AM   #26
beaglething

If you go with a Gooseneck, be sure to check with Lippert that the model hitch you choose does not void the warranty. We went with Reese, which I believe is the only model that Lippert allows. We love the Gooseneck and it's a simple push of a ring around the ball to remove, and then we have a flat bed.
beaglething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:30 PM   #27
RLo

If I didn’t pull a boat behind the camper I would run the Reese goose box. But since I do I went with a b&w companion, huge upgrade from the noisy Reese on rails I was running previously.
RLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:29 PM   #28
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
The Aluminum Anderson actually tested better than the original steel version.
See the video I posted earlier in this thread.
No problems in over 20k miles.
Real men save a few bucks and get the Anderson STEEL which will help build strength and muscles; in other words, I regret not stepping up and getting the aluminum hitch. The steel one weighs quite a bit and discourages me from popping it off when I need to put something in the bed of my F250.

A welded a 3/4" plate to the across the frame and threaded a hole for a gooseneck ball was on my truck when I got it. The person welded the huge nut to the plate and the welds were very well penetrated and super strong. To get the ball off my truck involves unscrewing the ball and it is a chore.

I drilled and tapped two smaller holes (7/8") for safety chain eye bolts. Not sure if they are needed but Andersen sells a kit with safety chains and eyebolts that attach to your hitch on the 5ver where the long bolts that retain it go through. I have some doubt that safety chains provide any safety or are legally needed but I didn't want to chance it.

The Andersen set up is easy to get the hitch lined up with the adapter which is cupped so it sort of grabs the Andersen ball if you are not perfectly lined up. You can also use the Andersen set up at three heights. I found pulling at the top position caused a tiny bit of bucking on rough roads but the middle position eliminated the bucking and there is no improvement on the lower position. Truck beds come in varying heights so being able to easily change the Andersen height is a plus.

If I had to do it again, I would buy the aluminum version!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:40 PM   #29
Rangerj

The Anderson took out bucking and chucking.
Cost less than other hitches.
With my Ram short bed can make 90 degree turn and still have clearance.
Mine attaches to my existing rails.
Easy to install.
Easy to hook up.
I highly recommend it.

Johnnie, Suzanne and Dixie Blue
2018 336fbok Jayco
2011 3500 Ram DRW 6.7 Cummins
Rangerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:28 PM   #30
mcomeaux

Ok how many of users of the Ultimate Hitch actually use safety chain setup?
I've been told it's a gray area and was recently at a RV Site where a couple
of guys approached me with questions on how it performed and pulled. During
our conversation one gentleman introduced himself as a State Trooper and indicated
he would flag an issue like this if he was presented with it. I plan on towing through
the southern states this winter and will more an likely install before departure. I contacted Andersen and requested something in print and they are not able to provide anything other than it's a gray area with DOT....
mcomeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:05 PM   #31
tech740

I use the safety chains. I have a few friends that are dressed in blue. They said if a gooseneck needs them then the Andersen needs them. Granted that is their interpretation, but I figure for the extra 2 seconds it takes to connect them it saves time on the side of the road if I am ever stopped. It is a ball and coupler connection, no way to argue that. I have also read it is certified as a fifth wheel connection but that doesn't make it a pin connection is what I was told. Right or wrong I will just use them and not have to worry about the headache. Slit a pool noodle and place them in that and the noise goes away also.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:15 PM   #32
mcomeaux

Pool Noodle

Great Idea I'm going that direction myself...
mcomeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:32 AM   #33
SC Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
I use the safety chains. I have a few friends that are dressed in blue. They said if a gooseneck needs them then the Andersen needs them. Granted that is their interpretation, but I figure for the extra 2 seconds it takes to connect them it saves time on the side of the road if I am ever stopped. It is a ball and coupler connection, no way to argue that. I have also read it is certified as a fifth wheel connection but that doesn't make it a pin connection is what I was told. Right or wrong I will just use them and not have to worry about the headache. Slit a pool noodle and place them in that and the noise goes away also.
I agree completely and even wrote a review on Amazon stating as much. Andersen needs to step up and include chains with this hitch! Laws very state to state, but most require safety chains on all ball set ups!
SC Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:55 AM   #34
RLo

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=169.82

I would run them, mn statute above. Isn’t worth the hassle on the side of the road.
RLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:25 AM   #35
wiredgeorge

From the Andersen website:
Do I need safety chains with my Ultimate 5th Wheel hitch?

If you plan on traveling cross country and you want to make sure you are in compliance with state laws that vary from one to the other then you should install safety chains.

We know that California, Indiana and Texas have safety chain requirements. Indiana safety chain laws are usually only enforced for commercial applications, but they informed us that if the hitch was a ball type, chains were required. Many states do not require the safety chains, which is why they are not included in the initial package (cutting out extra cost for the majority of customers).

We do sell a Safety Chain kit –part # 3230 $59.99– that includes the chains and bracket hardware necessary for installation.

Attaching safety chains: Each vehicle is different but all gooseneck hitches when installed will also have a spring loaded bracket or 'ears' by the gooseneck ball that the safety chains can attach to.

Attaching the breakaway cable: On the pyramid shaped base of our hitch there is 1/8" bars welded in between each leg and the breakaway should be clipped to it.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:13 PM   #36
tech740

Everyone does stuff their own way. That said I use the chains and I will not attach the breakaway to the hitch. If its the goose neck ball that fails (I know not likely) The entire hitch would separate and take the breakaway attachment with it. I run one of the breakaway cables that coils itself up and hook to a bed tie down loop with a simple carribeaner clip.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:38 AM   #37
gearhead

I chose the PullRite 2600 mostly because it has detachable "rails" that run perpendicular to the truck bed corrugations. I think that provides more support over a bigger area. Otherwise I would have gotten Andersen.
PullRite has no provisions for chains. I talked to the company and they said it is considered a 5th hitch. I'm not so sure. I may look into replacing the trailer ball pins with eye bolts for chains.
It works great. Just towed to Richmond Virginia and back.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:48 AM   #38
Dave W

As said earlier, make sure that you check with the RV manufacturer about a potential frame problem with an Anderson. Since most Keystone RV frames are built by Lippert, and several lines have had significant frame flex and some failures, you may not have any factory help if yours has a problem. On our last and SOB, I was told that anything that looked like a gooseneck would put me on my own - and an early Anderson was one that they cautioned against.

Your choice of course, but be informed by a phone call to Keystone not by hearsay on an RV forum before you spend your hard earned bucks.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:35 PM   #39
Howie

My Keystone dealer was the one that recommended the Andersen over everything else which was part of my decision factor.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:22 AM   #40
opienva1

So if an Andersen hitch requires safety chains due to it being a ball hitch. Doesn't all the other 5th wheel hitches that attach to the goose ball also require them? They are on a ball also.
opienva1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, hitch