Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2018, 02:23 PM   #1
datasponge

2016/2017 Cougar 326 RDS living room & bedroom outlets don't work

Hello<
I've spent all day trying to track down a new issue with the outlets in the bedroom and living room.

Specifically, the ceiling outlet and nightstand outlet in the bed room don't have power. Also the 3 outlets around the entertainment center don't have power.

The outlet in the dinette slide out does have power.

All outlets labeled GFCI (2 in kitchen, 1 in bathroom, 1 in front storage and 1 outside ) have power.

I've tested the circuit breaker. I've opened up every outlet except for the outside GFCI that is siliconed, and have found nothing that would explain the loss of power to these outlets.

I pulled out the circuit panel. Nothing wrong there.
I only know of 1 GFCI outlet, and that's in the bathroom. That is working.

I can only think that somewhere behind a wall there is a junction that all of these outlets are electrically connected to that has come apart/failed in some way.

I'm curious if anyone is familiar with this floor plan and has any other suggestions on what to look for. Maybe some secret panel that can be removed by design and find wiring connections.

Thank you,
Mike
datasponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:43 PM   #2
Canonman

Hi Mike,
What has likely happened is a wire from one of the outlets has come loose. There is not usually a junction where wires from the different outlets come together. Rather they are "daisy chained" from one to another. Worse, the manufacturer's have started using a friction connector on the outlets rather than securing the wire under a screw. I'd suggest start with the outlet closest to the distribution panel. Pull it out from the wall and give the wires a good tug. Loose ones will pull out. Keep going until you find the one that is causing your problem. You might pull a couple of loose ones before you find the actual one causing the problem so keep your tester handy.
Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0009.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	17515  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:03 PM   #3
datasponge

Thanks for the tip. I'm just baffled, as I've opened up every outlet and confirmed that the wires were securely in the friction connectors as you called them. I did find one that was loose and thought for sure that would be the fix, but sadly it wasn't.

I think the next step will be to pull the wires out and put them back in just to verify, or replace them I guess with 'real' outlets.

I keep thinking there must be one more outlet I just haven't found yet.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:03 PM   #4
Ken / Claudia

I bet the last sentence is the problem, been there. Took hours to find it. Different RV the outlet was a GFI, it was on the inside (leg area) at a booth. Never used it, never seen it until I was on hands and knees. I would not rule out a loose wire until all have been checked. Did you check under the cabinets in bath and kitchen area.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:23 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Hi Mike. You stated that you checked the circuit breaker. Not knowing what your level of electrical experience is can you tell me how you checked it and did you check all of the breakers?
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:56 AM   #6
datasponge

Fixed!!

Thank you, folks for the help.

My instincts were correct. There was one more outlet. Your encouragement that I was probably on the right track motivated me to open up a few more areas...and voila, found it.

The culprit outlet was actually behind the fridge service door. I'm still not sure what circuit that is on, but I'll figure that out later.

Thank you all so much for the input!!

Old 07-17-2018, 01:45 PM   #7
Canonman

HOORAYYYY!!
Those sneaky buggers at the plant can't outsmart this group!
Thanks for the follow up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_8530.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	17533  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:04 PM   #8
louielouieohoh

Sheesh! I didn't even know I had an outlet in the kitchen slide on my 326RDS! Got on my hands and knees and there it was!

Glad you got it fixed!

Louie and Evelyn
2016 Ford SuperDuty 6.7L-D
2017 Keystone Cougar 326RDS Polar pkg.
louielouieohoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:12 PM   #9
datasponge

lol. I hear ya! And thanks.

I learned a lot about the wiring on this thing over the past 2 days. I took out the electrical box, the control panel, the roof vents, a/c ceiling, vents, 12v ceiling lights, some of the paneling in the storage areas, head board cubby in bedroom...basically anything that had screws that looked like it might expose where some of the wiring was going, I took it down. Lol.

Go figure, it was the outlet in the most hidden place. But literally just take the outside vent panel off of the fridge, and it was that outlet back there.

Tags
bed, bedroom, cougar, outlets