Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2023, 12:14 PM   #1
agiesey

Picking up my first Travel Trailer Saturday!

Hi everyone, my name is Adam and my wife and I purchased a 2022 Keystone Passport 219BH that we pick up on Saturday. I'll be towing it with a '22 Chevy Silvarado 1500. I bought a weight distribution hitch for towing.
agiesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 01:06 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by agiesey View Post
Hi everyone, my name is Adam and my wife and I purchased a 2022 Keystone Passport 219BH that we pick up on Saturday. I'll be towing it with a '22 Chevy Silvarado 1500. I bought a weight distribution hitch for towing.
Great. It really helps to read the instructions for setting up the hitch and there are likely youtube videos that will add even more. Keep in mind that the hitch weight often listed for ANY camper is a fiction as it is derived as it came off the assembly line and not how it will be in the real world. If you use all your loading capacity in your camper and I suspect since you bought a bunkhouse you have kiddo(s) along you will be north of 800 lbs loaded hitch weight. You will probably be fine towing with your truck but the hitch will need some tweeking as you prepare to head out the first time. There are folks who have a lot of experience on this site with setting up hitches so don't hesitate to ask. Last tip is to use RV toilet paper or some that is rated for septic systems. RV black tanks don't like Charmin type stuff bwhahahaha
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 01:55 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new trailer! I'm sure y'all are excited to get it all set up and put to use. Lots of good folks with lots of knowledge here so fire away with questions as they come. Are the folks at the dealer installing the weight distribution hitch, does it have sway control?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 02:10 PM   #4
dutchmensport

Congrats on getting your Passport. The hardest part about becoming an RV owner is that waiting period from the time you decide to "seal the deal" and the time you actually take delivery of the camper! The wait is horrible! It's the most awful part of the experience. BUT, it will go quickly and then you'll be floating on a cloud! So, be patient, GREAT times are just around the corner!

Welcome to the forums and again, Congrats! Happy Camping.
Old 06-12-2023, 02:33 PM   #5
Chris P

Welcome to the family! As already mentioned, There are a lot of helpful people here.
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 03:36 PM   #6
agiesey

Yes they are installing it. I've watched youtube videos so I know how, but why not let them? It has a sway bar. It's a Curt. My neighbor is also letting me borrow his Curt weigh distribution thing that plugs into my truck and tells me if it's right.
Old 06-12-2023, 03:37 PM   #7
agiesey

Thank you, and thanks for the advice! It's funny we still have RV safe TP my wife bought on Amazon when there was no TP available in 2020 haha
Old 06-12-2023, 03:39 PM   #8
agiesey

Oh, I've lost a lot of sleep over the last few nights! It'll be ok tho, it's a great trailer for us; I've done my research; We can afford it (I'm pretty sure...). You're absolutely right - it's purgatory.
Old 06-12-2023, 03:56 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Yes they are installing it. I've watched youtube videos so I know how, but why not let them? It has a sway bar. It's a Curt. My neighbor is also letting me borrow his Curt weigh distribution thing that plugs into my truck and tells me if it's right.
Keep in mind they will set up the hitch on an empty trailer and once you get it loaded down, adjustment may be needed. Thanks was my point in the original post I sent. It is good you know how to adjust it.
Old 06-12-2023, 04:00 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Oh, I've lost a lot of sleep over the last few nights! It'll be ok tho, it's a great trailer for us; I've done my research; We can afford it (I'm pretty sure...). You're absolutely right - it's purgatory.
You will surely have questions so it will help if you add a signature with year, make and model of your camper and same for tow vehicle. this will allow for contextual responses to those questions without having to ask about your camper or tow vehicle. UserCP; upper left each page. Make sure you save this info.
Old 06-12-2023, 06:14 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Don't lose sleep over any of it. You have a great resource right here that can either give you the answers to your situation or guide you in the right direction. We can't however assist in the "affordability" . My first trailer I was sleepless thinking about where we could go and what we could do....and not get soaked, wake up unable to walk, no 2 hr. setup for a tent; fabulous, and it has been since 1982. Get her set up like you want, get the stuff you need (lots of stuff come to mind you don't need) then head to the hills (or ?) and fine tune. Have fun and good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 08:06 PM   #12
Balvar24

We've enjoyed our 219BH.
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 03:38 AM   #13
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.

Tags
travel trailer