Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2018, 11:34 AM   #1
jmlocklin

Service

I was just wondering how long it takes for most service centers to fix problems with travel trailers. Took my 2017 Sprinter 29BH in for a couple of minor service issues covered under warranty. That was 6 weeks ago and was told yesterday they could not give me a completion date. Is this normal? I am not a happy camper at this point. Should I expect this? This is my first camper, and want to know if others have experienced similar situations. I would have thought Camping World would do better.
jmlocklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:13 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It depends (in part) on whether it's a warranty issue and the dealer has to wait for approval from the manufacturer, whether parts are required and if they are available from the manufacturer, a supplier or whether they are back-ordered, awaiting arrival from China... Then it depends on how busy the dealer's service department is, whether the repairs are "in house" or "out-sourced to another repair facility" (paint shop, welding shop, alignment shop, fiberglass repair shop, etc).

The only way you're going to get a "real answer" is to provide the forum with significantly more detailed information about the situation, or discuss the problem with the dealer, find out from the service manager (not the service writer) or from the dealership general manager what's really going on.

You're correct, "minor" repairs shouldn't take 6 weeks or longer without an explanation from the dealer giving you the information you need to understand "why"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:36 PM   #3
travelin texans

Most dealers service teams are required to memorize these two excuses, or I mean, phrases;
"We're waiting on manufacturer authorization" & "We're waiting on parts"!
You're question to them should be "have you bothered to call for authorization yet?" or "has anyone even ordered the parts yet?"
Then call the manufacturers customer service number & ask them if the dealer has done either yet, usually they won't have a clue what you're talking about as they've heard nothing from your dealer.
Yes most service departments are overwhelmed with work, but for me I'd prefer one honest answer as opposed to 10 excuses.
If they're minor repairs you'll be ahead to just repair yourself, if able, at your expense & avoid a boat load of excuses & aggravation & probably do a better job.
Nothing personal chuckster!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:51 PM   #4
maccam1

As far as camping world I've called my local one for service,and they don't even return calls.called them Monday they said they would check when I could take the unit in,today is Wednesday still no call back
maccam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:52 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Most dealers service teams are required to memorize these two excuses, or I mean, phrases;
"We're waiting on manufacturer authorization" & "We're waiting on parts"!
You're question to them should be "have you bothered to call for authorization yet?" or "has anyone even ordered the parts yet?"
Then call the manufacturers customer service number & ask them if the dealer has done either yet, usually they won't have a clue what you're talking about as they've heard nothing from your dealer.
Yes most service departments are overwhelmed with work, but for me I'd prefer one honest answer as opposed to 10 excuses.
If they're minor repairs you'll be ahead to just repair yourself, if able, at your expense & avoid a boat load of excuses & aggravation & probably do a better job.
Nothing personal chuckster!

Glad you added that last line! I will say there are more lousy dealerships than good ones. The warranty process is painfully slow, and just as frustrating for us techs. It’s getting more difficult by the day to get authorization, and I believe it’s in part due to fraudulent claims by dealers.

Yes we are overwhelmed. The other issue is a lack of QUALIFIED techs.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:53 PM   #6
jmlocklin

Here were the issues and what I was told. 1) possible short in the running lights, since a fuse was blown in my new 2016 F-150. Traded that truck for a 2017 F-250 but wanted the wiring checked before I turned on the running lights. They found no short, which is good. 2) gray water drain valve leaked and would not close completely, so removing the cap was a real dumping experience. Thankfully only soapy water from kitchen sink spilled out. After the first time I purchased external valves. They said they did not find the problem. 3) When connecting a hose to the black water flush connection no water entered the tank. They found a leak and were ordering a part to fix it, but the last person I talked to, a lady, said she did not know how they were going to fix it. None of these problems prevented using the camper. It would seem that I could be using it until they notified me the part was available.
jmlocklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:10 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

You are dealing with the wrong people. If they can't get it done or keep you updated forget the clerks and service advisors. You need to be on an eyeball to eyeball level with the service manager and/or the general manager at CW.

These places ARE slammed with work. I was in my CW today picking up my trailer (offered same day service and pick up when I wanted). I spent an hour visiting with the service advisor (SM was on vacation) about "stuff". It's amazing how much work there is.....and what some people ask of them. BUT, being busy, I don't care how busy, isn't an excuse to fail to keep you informed.

In your case I don't know what parts they would be waiting for but they should be able to tell you - someone there actually ordered them. Get in the middle of the service manager, escalate to GM if needed. Ask the questions you want answered. Expect, and demand, a reasonable repair time with explanations for any delays. Demand they give the trailer back, get the parts and set a day for you to bring it in at which time they will have a bay set aside and be ready to jump on it when you get there.

Something is wrong with the way your communication is going. And remember, one of the best things about CW is there is a chain of command.....and none of them want you to climb up that ladder.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:03 PM   #8
notanlines

We are assuming that you bought at CW Anniston. John, I don't know if you looked at the reviews online, but their service department reviews rate lower than whale garbanzo. Sales yes, service no. The dealership was bought by CW a short while back and things don't seem to be in line with common standards.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote