Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2018, 07:08 AM   #1
Braysgrandpa

Airbags

I am towing a 2018 Montana HC 340BH with a 2017 F350. While more than rated for my trailer, whenever I tow it bottoms out my rear suspension, making for a rough ride. 1. Should I get airbags for my suspension or those blocks that you put in your leaf springs?
2. Should I get a Trailair type pin box?
3. If #1, would that void my Ford warranty?
Thanks!
Braysgrandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:29 AM   #2
travelin texans

I'm not a Ford owner, but from traveling across the country the Ford's sagging in the rear when any trailer is added is very common. Adding air bags won't add payload but are a great way to level up your truck & most likely improve the loaded/unloaded ride & should not affect your warranty.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:36 AM   #3
ChuckS

The airbags will definitely level out and prevent you from bottoming out your truck.. I’ve had a set on my 2007 since day one..

I’d also opt for the onboard air compressor and gauge kit..this way you can adjust 9n the fly...

Link to airlift bags for your year truck.....

https://www.airliftcompany.com/vehic...wheel-drive/#l
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:31 AM   #4
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I'm not a Ford owner, but from traveling across the country the Ford's sagging in the rear when any trailer is added is very common. Adding air bags won't add payload but are a great way to level up your truck & most likely improve the loaded/unloaded ride & should not affect your warranty.

???? I'm pulling a 370br with 2 batteries, full basement, and washer on right, dryer on left with a 2016 F350 srw. The Patriot slider in the bed is 220#. Tows level without bottoming and no bags or other help. Now, Tams are a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:03 PM   #5
E Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braysgrandpa View Post
I am towing a 2018 Montana HC 340BH with a 2017 F350. While more than rated for my trailer, whenever I tow it bottoms out my rear suspension, making for a rough ride. 1. Should I get airbags for my suspension or those blocks that you put in your leaf springs?
2. Should I get a Trailair type pin box?
3. If #1, would that void my Ford warranty?
Thanks!
I have a 2016 F350 LB,4X4,SRW PLATINUM. pulling a 2017 40' Alpine with 6 slideouts. I installed airbags however I don't air them up as the truck only drops about 1 1/4" . Not enough to make difference other than truck levels out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160423_100040(1).jpg
Views:	139
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	15899   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170715_095319.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	15900  
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:42 AM   #6
Braysgrandpa

It sounds like I need to look again. Definitely sagging some, but maybe not bottoming out. Thanks all! (Would still like to get airbags, though. Gotta talk DW into it.)
Braysgrandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:54 AM   #7
1jeep

when you say bottoming out, is it hitting the overloads? when I load my trailer doesn't touch the overloads yet, so if we hit rough holes it will clank on them. I installed some timbrens to help that out.

Fords don't sag anymore than other brands, my fathers Dmax DRW squats quite a bit when loaded also. Some of the DRW fords may look like they are sagging because there are no spacer blocks like the SRW trucks have.

Air bags will allow you to level it out, I had them on my previous F250 for that reason.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:45 PM   #8
notanlines

Grandpa, while Traveling Texans may be a knowledgeable RV'er, there is a hitch in his giddyup where Fords are concerned. We believe his first wife ran off with a Ford salesman and his mom drove Chevys. Fords don't sag any more than any other of the top three brands. And if you don't think a GMC is a Chevrolet, then tell me what diesel is in both.....
Measure the sag and get back with us.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:59 PM   #9
travelin texans

I drove Ford's for approximately 5k miles per month for 30+ years at work & I'll say this about all those driving miles, the only hitch in my giddyup was the Ford & there will NEVER be a Ford in my driveway.
I don't have to measure the sag, mine doesn't & don't have air bags.
With the years of proven reliability for the Duramax/Allison I don't care what they call it in the Chevy or GMC as long as it's not Powerstroke.
When Ford finally gets the proven experience to match the Cummins or even the Duramax, maybe it's the 6.7 only 10-15 more years will tell, then start bragging.
From here on if you want to talk trucks (yea, we'll count Ford's as a truck) or rvs just skip the wife/mother b.s. from your smart a## comments!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:40 AM   #10
jsmith948

All of the currently available power plants in pick ups sold in the U.S. are great.

Cummins - of course - wrote the book on diesels. I drove them for years as an over-the-road trucker.

Ford's new generation 6.7L V8 is was engineered by Ford. The previous Powerstroke diesels were built by Navistar (the old International Harvester Company)

The Izusu motors have been around for a while - don't know much about them - but I did own an Izusu once - never again

added on edit: It never pays to take any of this personally. We all have our likes and dislikes. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:24 PM   #11
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
All of the currently available power plants in pick ups sold in the U.S. are great.

Cummins - of course - wrote the book on diesels. I drove them for years as an over-the-road trucker.

Ford's new generation 6.7L V8 is was engineered by Ford. The previous Powerstroke diesels were built by Navistar (the old International Harvester Company)

The Izusu motors have been around for a while - don't know much about them - but I did own an Izusu once - never again

added on edit: It never pays to take any of this personally. We all have our likes and dislikes. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla.
Oops...spelling error. Those Japanese motors are made by Isuzu...not Uzis. My apologies.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:08 PM   #12
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Rod View Post
I have a 2016 F350 LB,4X4,SRW PLATINUM. pulling a 2017 40' Alpine with 6 slideouts. I installed airbags however I don't air them up as the truck only drops about 1 1/4" . Not enough to make difference other than truck levels out.
Your air bags are doing more than you think, Empty at 5psi will go to 20 to 30psi with your Alpine hooked up.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:38 AM   #13
Laredo Tugger

I am having these installed on my F250 next week in place of airbags or Timbrens.

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Sus.../RAS4611.html?
gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjv-C5rWr2gIVWDZpCh1wowcFEAAYASAAEgJywvD_BwE

Design is to enhance the trucks suspension as engineered through the leaf spring system.
The jury is still out on performance.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #14
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
I am having these installed on my F250 next week in place of airbags or Timbrens.

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Sus.../RAS4611.html?
gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjv-C5rWr2gIVWDZpCh1wowcFEAAYASAAEgJywvD_BwE

Design is to enhance the trucks suspension as engineered through the leaf spring system.
The jury is still out on performance.
RMc
That is an interesting choice, Roadmaster products have been around for some time, I had some front end Roadmaster products on a Class A we had. Good luck and let us know how they work out for you.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote