Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2018, 11:58 AM   #1
cayovelez

Another Issue Leak from Skylight

So here we go again. Another issue, with my cougar. It has been raining a lot in California and I have noticed that there is a leak from my Skylight above the shower. Significant amount, about a cup of water since yesterday. I climbed on the roof this morning and the caulking seems fine. I removed the inside trim and the water just came down. It seems to be from condensation, but based on the amount that can't be condensation. This rv is driving me crazy with a lot of little things that did not seem tidy up at the factory.

Any hints on what to do?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0247 2.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	19395  
cayovelez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:59 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It may very well be condensation and not an active "skylight leak"...

What I mean is that it may be a roof leak somewhere else that is introducing moisture into the "attic" between the roof membrane and the ceiling luan panels. That "wetness" would turn to steam or vapor during the day while the sun is shining on the roof, warming things up. Then that "extremely high humidity" would collect on the coolest parts of the roof structure (like the skylight dome) once the sun sets and things start to cool down.

My guess is that if you get a good flashlight, shine it into the spaces that are seen in the rafters around your skylight, you may find that the fiberglass is wet and that you have more than "skylight condensation"....

Now, whether that will be "covered by keystone" would be determined more by how your dealer reports it to the factory than what is wet. Remember, after 90 days, roof maintenance is an owner responsibility, so if your dealer reports it as "a roof leak" chances are the factory will say "NO".... If he reports it as something that was installed incorrectly on the line, or as a component failure, then Keystone may "view the problem differently.

I'd first do my own inspection, see just what's wet with a flashlight. Once that's done, I'd go over the roof with a "fine toothed comb" to make sure that I didn't miss something during my last roof inspection/reseal. If you haven't done a roof inspection/reseal, well, then I'd guess you're vulnerable to a Keystone denial.

If I remember correctly, your trailer is a 2016 model (2-3 years old) that you bought as a used unit earlier this year??? If so, do you have any indication on previous owner maintenance? What you're facing may well not be a "Keystone issue" but a "neglect issue" or a "previous damage issue" caused by the previous owner. I'm not suggesting that it's not Keystone's fault, but rather that it may not be something that was done at the factory or even a component problem....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:14 PM   #3
cayovelez

Thanks,

I will have my hands full this weekend.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:20 PM   #4
travelin texans

If in fact it's a 2-3 year old 2nd owner rv you don't/never did have any factory warranty, so Keystone is completely out of the loop.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:26 PM   #5
cayovelez

Thanks, just what I wanted to hear.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:29 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Thinking a bit further than "skylight leak" or "roof leak", is it possible that you're not managing the humidity inside the trailer effectively? By that I mean, do you always turn on the exhaust fan when cooking or showering? Do you sleep with a roof vent "slightly open" and a window on the opposite end of the trailer also slightly open?

In the mornings, when you first get up and open the blinds, shades or pull up the window coverings, is there condensation on the windows? If there is, then what you're seeing may be a "manifestation of high humidity". Trailers are not like S&B houses. They have extremely small "interior spaces" and those spaces do not absorb the moisture well. It will condense on the walls (behind cushions on dinettes and mattress edges where pushed close to the exterior walls).

What you see on the skylight may not be "something wrong with the trailer" it may be a "self induced problem from too much moisture being released into the interior space with no ventilation"....

While this MAY NOT be your problem or even contribute to it, it could be the root of your entire issue with skylight condensation.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-23-2018, 02:04 PM   #7
cayovelez

I has been stormy here, so not I have not taken that under consideration. I will look into that as well this weekend.

Thanks,

Carlos
Old 11-25-2018, 09:55 AM   #8
cayovelez

So I finally climbed on my roof today to inspect the caulking around my skylight. My gosh what a careless workmanship. So, there are a couple of screw holes that bubble up and that was enough to break the caulking barrier, but the worse was on a corner when they lay the caulking someone stepped on it and that bubbled up. I am amazed on how sloppy they were.

So, luckily for me it is an easy fix. I am in a remote area and all I could find was this product in the picture. Is this ok?

Thanks,

Carlos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1394.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	19413  
Old 11-25-2018, 10:26 AM   #9
66joej

Self leveling Dicor is not available in your area? Not familiar with the product in the picture but I would check with the manufacturer to make sure it is compatible with the roof membrane and sealant (Dicor) already on the roof. JMO YMMV

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:38 AM   #10
cayovelez

No Dicor in my area.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:48 PM   #11
Old Mustanger

Amazon carries Dicor
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:41 PM   #12
cayovelez

Anyone knows the average cost for a dealer to replace skylight?

Thanks,

Carlos
Old 11-29-2018, 07:02 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

They would probably charge you for one to two hours labor, depending on the labor rate, that could be up to $300 plus the cost of the skylight and supplies (butyl tape, DICOR and screws). You're probably looking at $400-$500 plus the expense of towing it to the dealership, letting it sit while they order parts and schedule maintenance time.... Hopefully they'll get it done right the first time and you could get it back in less than a month.

You can order a replacement skylight, a roll of butyl tape, a tube of DICOR sealant and a handful of #2 Roberts screws from Amazon for around $60, depending on the size you need. Here is one link to an Amazon skylight "outer dome" complete with the putty tape, sealant and screws...
https://www.amazon.com/Class-Customs...hower+skylight

If you do it yourself, plan on a couple of hours on the roof of your RV with a screwdriver, a plastic putty knife and a caulking gun. It's not a difficult or challenging task, just time consuming.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-29-2018, 07:17 PM   #14
cayovelez

The problem I am having is that I am high on the mountains of California on a travel assignment, and the weather has moved in. Rainy and cold. The dicor I used over the weekend did not cure and 2 days later with the rain and snow it washed away. I am in a town of 1500 and there are no shops near me. I might get a day of sunny skies but in the 30s. Thinking on maybe using a heat gun, but not sure what would be the best option.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:23 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

I think I'd probably throw a tarp over that part of the trailer until the rain stopped, and when it's dry, put a strip of Eternabond tape over the cracked/leaking part of the skylight. That will hold until you get dry weather and can replace it properly.

It's been my experience that a heat gun, in the hands of a "less than completely expert user" can do much more damage than you'd ever imagine. I've seen everything from melted skylights to burned/melted TPO roofing. The first only means a replacement dome, the latter, a $8,000 re-roof job....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-29-2018, 07:26 PM   #16
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayovelez View Post
The problem I am having is that I am high on the mountains of California on a travel assignment, and the weather has moved in. Rainy and cold. The dicor I used over the weekend did not cure and 2 days later with the rain and snow it washed away. I am in a town of 1500 and there are no shops near me. I might get a day of sunny skies but in the 30s. Thinking on maybe using a heat gun, but not sure what would be the best option.
That is a tough situation to be in and I wish you the best of luck. I have heard good things about eternabond tape. It may be an alternate solution if you don’t have time for dicor to cure.

https://www.amazon.com/EternaBond-RS.../dp/B002RSIK4G
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:28 PM   #17
cayovelez

Thanks for the advise. Probably what I will do. Just ordered the eternalbond tape.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:44 PM   #18
Logan X

I would double check their website for cold weather application instructions. I hope it works.

http://www.eternabond.com/articles.asp?id=192
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:51 PM   #19
cayovelez

Thanks Logan,

That is very helpful. This site is amazing and the help is awesome.

Tags
leak, light