Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2012, 08:23 PM   #41
chris199

Anyone know who makes the end cap? Keystone or some plastics molder?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:13 AM   #42
CampJKL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death1 View Post
Just got off the phone with Beckley's Camping center. They have sent my pics along with several others to Keystone for warranty. Keystone is now talking about painting the front cap to solve this issue. So it seems that Keystone is starting to step up to the plate here.
Really? What's the status? Have they truly admitted fault? I want mine redone but of course even though it's a 2012 I'm out of the original warranty.
CampJKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #43
bandit403

2011 / 2012 End Cap Fade

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampJKL View Post
Really? What's the status? Have they truly admitted fault? I want mine redone but of course even though it's a 2012 I'm out of the original warranty.
I have a 2011 Cougar, purchased April 2011, and at first loved the 'silver edition' with the painted Silver front cap, in 2011 these were really rare, and made it stand out a bit more then the usual RV. People would comment on the grey and how it stood out from the norm. However, my end cap is really starting to fade now, to be REALLY noticable.

I hope some sort of organized effort can occur to show the vendor how concerning this is.

The biggest point in my mind is marketing, looking at a cougar (or any) trailer with a front Cap half faded, is going to look absolutely inferior to another product that isn't. I guarantee you that people that see this, will automatically start to discount and question the quality of a trailer, workmanship, and/or build materials. We are not talking about a small component of the trailer, the front cap is an attention getting brand display.

I hope they consider a solution to this, - Cosmetic yes, sure, I have no doubt of this, but as more and more of these hit the road, if they all look like this, will build a reputation in my view.

I just called my local dealer where we purchased this from and the service person I talked to was dumbfounded, had absolutly no idea what to say and have never heard of this before, - but said she wanted pictures and will contact keystone...

I also had (hang head here) opted for the sealant/protectant finish they ask if you want on purchase, this may have very short-term helped but a year into owning the RV it's fading more by the week....
bandit403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #44
Death1

WOW!!!!!! So Beckley Camping Center in Thurmont, MD just called me and Keystone is going to repair the cap!!!!!!!!! Their fix is to scuff the front gel coat, repaint the front cap and apply a new clear gel coat. It seems that the existing gel coat is the issue. I am glad that Keystone is stepping up on this issue.
Death1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #45
Camp I am

Good to hear. I havnt noticed any fading yet but I'll be watching for it.

2012 Keystone Cougar 327RES

2006 Chevy Silverado 3500, LT3 CC/LB 4WD SRW LBZ Duramax/Allison Equiped with Curt Q5 20K hitch, Prodigy Brake control, Air Lift Load Lifter 5000, & 100 gallon in-bed fuel tank
Camp I am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:04 AM   #46
CampJKL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death1 View Post
WOW!!!!!! So Beckley Camping Center in Thurmont, MD just called me and Keystone is going to repair the cap!!!!!!!!! Their fix is to scuff the front gel coat, repaint the front cap and apply a new clear gel coat. It seems that the existing gel coat is the issue. I am glad that Keystone is stepping up on this issue.
Sent you a PM
CampJKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #47
Kenworth

I just bought a new 2012 293SAB 2 weeks ago, and noticed it when we picked it up. I just figured it was lime dust, as the dealer has a dust lot, but when I got home and washed, and scrubbed, then applied a heavy coat of wax...it doesn't look any better than before...guess I will contact my dealer and try to get this resolved also...
Kenworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:02 AM   #48
Bushman512000

Fix to the fade and peal

This is how I fixed My end cap that looked like crap...just made a swell bug landing pad...LOL...Bushman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1316.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1790   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1317.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1791   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1318.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1792  
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #49
highrider

Bushman, sorry if this has been covered already but what did you use to clean your front cap so well? The unit I just bought had lost the sticker completely and all that is left is the dirty sticky residue part. It looks pretty bad and I figure having it clean like yours is the best option.

I would love to know what products you used and the steps/ process. Might do this tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.
-Who knows what's more to come...
highrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #50
highrider

So, after seeing bushman's efforts and how good his cap looks without the decal, I decided that was the way to go. Thanks for the advise, bushman.

Before:

After:
-Who knows what's more to come...
highrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #51
Bushman512000

well done

great job, nice to help out. I always said if the Man wants to do some thing the Man will have a plan...What is Your next Mod.?there are menny to keep You hopping our trailers look the same on drivers side But You have a 2nd slide NICE..Have a great day John..The Bushman see You down the road lolthis is also now on the Cougar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	1817  
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:00 AM   #52
mismith

Hello, we just joined and found this forum when looking for "end cap fade". We too have the end cap fade. We just bought a brand new 2011 Cougar 318 SAB a couple weeks ago from Campers INN in Mocksville, NC. They had a couple left over from last year and we got a deal on it. The cap was faded on the lot and we asked about it before we bought it. The salesman assured us that they would polish it out and it would be good. Boy that was a joke! It did look when we went to pick it up on delivery however it did not last. It was faded out terrible again within a week. I need all the help I can get to make sure Keystone takes care of this. I don't care what the warranty says, this is a Defect and they need to take care of it. We took it on our first trip this past week at Ocean Lakes near Myrtle Beach. It got a lot of attention but Keystone got some very bad advertising with that nose cap. It looks 10 years old and neglected and the rest shines like new money. It was a turn off to many potential buyers. There was one other Cougar like ours there from PA and it had the same fade. We had the local pressure washer detailer guy who works in there to look at it. He said he did not want to touch it and we need to contact Keystone for this Defect. He said no other RV he has detailed looks that bad for no older than it is. I am going to contact Keystone today and see what they say. It looks like from earlier posts that they will re-paint it but might depend on who you talk to. Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks,
Mike
mismith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:44 AM   #53
greende

I have been following this thread since the beginning. We have a 2012 293SAB that is just about a year old now. So far no fade but I will update if there is any change.
greende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:06 AM   #54
Death1

OK so people are asking who I talked to at Keystone about getting my fadding cap repaired. I did not talk to anyone at Keystone, other then to tell them how unhappy I was with it and their lack of response to repairing it. Now Pam and Keith at Beckleys Camping Center in Thurmount, MD are the ones who called and went to bat for not just me but 4 other people with the same issue. Who they talked to at Keystone they will not say. However here is what Keystone is going to do; they will scratch off the old gel coat, paint with like color, clear coat and new decals. Beckleys can not get me in till NOV 5th and it will take about a week or 2 to finish. I did ask what if this does not work?? They are still working on that answer with Keystone.
Death1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #55
mismith

UPDATE!! Good News for me too! I submitted pictures of my end cap fade on my 2011 318 SAB to our Dealer Campers Inn of Mocksville. They sent the pictures in to Keystone for review. I got an email saying that Keystone has agreed to strip and re-paint our end cap. All we have to do is call them to set up an appointment with the paint shop. Awesome! What a blessing! Keystone is doing right by fixing this. I hope everyone else gets theirs fixed too.
Mike
mismith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #56
Festus2
Site Team

Mike -
It might be worthwhile submitting a brief post about this service in the Keystone RV Service/Support Kudos section of the forum.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #57
dakingsella

My 2012 Cougar does not seem to have any fading, though luckily I face the north when in storage. Another thing is that I had Duratain applied when I purchased it. Have always sort of regretted that one, but maybe it was worth the cost.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #58
mrghan

Have same problem on my Cougar High Country. Dealer told me common and Keystone will repaint covered under the manafactures warrentee

Glenn
mrghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #59
dakingsella

If I'm not mistaking, the mfg Warranty is only for one year.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #60
Azdryheat

Sun damage? I'm not surprised. Rarely in my travels do I ever see an RV, of any kind, with a cover while in storage. I saw a Montana, a year older than my Everest, with the decals peeling off. Does the owner not care? And how many owners keep wax on their rig to ward off the sun while on the road?

I keep my Everest waxed and it is kept out of the AZ sun with an ADCO Designer Cover. I simply refuse to let my rig sit out in the damaging sun and rot.

2008 Everest 305T
2009 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote