Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Have you tried just "plain ole" 303 on it? I have a Tracker boat with a dark gray plastic console. It was sun faded on one side (sits in the cradle east/west) and I tried 303 since nothing else seemed to work. The 303 "darkened" it up pretty well. Lasted about 2 months and started to dry out and get lighter, so I reapplied the 303 and it's dark again. I've been doing this for about 3 years now and the console looks even and not faded until the 303 needs to be reapplied. I rub a little on it about every 2 months or so and at storage time I put a good liberal coat which seems to last through the winter.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #22
Lack of HP

cap fade

My front cap is fading also. Bought my 6/2011. Waxed regular. I wax mine fade goes away for about 2 to 3 days and then returns. From roof line comes down about 3 ft.. I too have noticed they are all starting to fade. I guess we own them. I have extended warranty, doesn't cover that. I have used Turtle Ice and it has done better than most. Liquid. Very easy to put on and get off. HP
Lack of HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #23
Death1

So I called Keystone and talked to a woman named Kara about my brand new Cougar that is only 6 months old and is fading on the front cap from the roof line down about a foot or so. I asked her what Keystone was going to do about it. Kara said NOTHING for it is cosmetic only and does not affect the camper and that it was my issue to "wax" it. WOW, WOW, WOW!!!! So Keystone is not going to make this right. I called Beckleys Camping where I purchased the camper and was informed that I am the 5 person to complain about the cap fading on a new camper. I informed Beckleys what Kara had said and they stated that was the same answer that they were given. So everyone needs to call Keystone about this issue. I can tell you that I will NEVER buy a Keystone product ever again if this is not fixed!!! Cosmetic only !!
Death1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #24
smiller

I think on my next unit I will order the special white front cap...
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

I am NOT trying to add "insult to injury" with this statement, but am attempting to put this into perspective. We're talking about fading on the front cap of an RV and the factory is calling it "cosmetic"

If you look around at cars and trucks, you can find a number of red, gold, bronze and silver vehicles with paint peeling off the front fenders and roofs. That's also "cosmetic" and from what I understand, the manufacturers (Ford, GM and Chrysler) are standing by saying this is "cosmetic" and they are not repairing the paint flaws.

There's also a "rail dust" issue with new cars, seems iron particles get embedded in the clear coat finish during transportation and after a few months, these particles start to rust. This gives the appearance of "rusting through the panels" and the dealership/factory are calling this "cosmetic" also. My wife's Escape has this problem and her "Bright Sage Metallic Clearcoat" finish is spotted with "brown" Looks like "*&$%" to me, and Ford says, "It's cosmetic"

So, my point is, this happens in more than RV's...... Getting upset won't make the fading go away, threatening Keystone by saying, "I'll never buy again" won't fix it. Seems that the only recourse is probalby going to be keep waxing regularly, use 303 frequently, trade for a different model, or like smiller said, special order a white one next time. I'm sure that Keystone is watching this issue and plans to make changes in the product to prevent the issue, but that won't help current owners. They also "improved" the entertainment center by installing 32" TV's in place of 26" ones, but previous owners didn't get a new TV either.....

I've seen RV's from all manufacturers with faded panels (usually on the darker shades of RV) so I wouldn't say this is "keystone specific"

Additionally, anyone with white plastic fixtures on their RV will tell you that over time (as little as "at delivery") some of the plastic starts to yellow and other parts stay white. Keystone calls this cosmetic also. It looks like "crap" just like the front end cap looks like "crap" and both are being treated equally..... "it's cosmetic" and nothing is being done to repair/replace components in either situation. It's not just end caps that fade and discolor, but it's all "cosmetic" and it is happening to virtually every RV owned by members of this forum.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #26
DJ85

So what your saying is they win we lose again. Hearing that tone more and more lately. But anyway yes i agree with what your saying it is what it is like it or not. We have been through this before someone will find a way to slow it down or keep it from happening. I understand paint fades but in 6 months it is a little to fast I think. You can wet sand it you can polish it you can 303 it and all your going to do is slow it down. When they make the cap the color is placed in the mold. Its a processing problem plain and simple. There won't be any fix except to replace it with a new and improved better processing cap. Like it or not!!!!! As everyone else will tell you it's just my honest opinion... Please someone prove me wrong. Sorry for the attitude in my response but I didn't spend this much money to be told it's only cosmedic

God is great, beer is good and people are crazy
Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
DJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:49 AM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ85 View Post
So what your saying is they win we lose again. Hearing that tone more and more lately. But anyway yes i agree with what your saying it is what it is like it or not. We have been through this before someone will find a way to slow it down or keep it from happening. I understand paint fades but in 6 months it is a little to fast I think. You can wet sand it you can polish it you can 303 it and all your going to do is slow it down. When they make the cap the color is placed in the mold. Its a processing problem plain and simple. There won't be any fix except to replace it with a new and improved better processing cap. Like it or not!!!!! As everyone else will tell you it's just my honest opinion... Please someone prove me wrong. Sorry for the attitude in my response but I didn't spend this much money to be told it's only cosmedic
No, I'm not saying, "they win we lose again." What I'm saying is that all manufacturers exclude cosmetic issues in their warranty.

Here's Airstream's warranty: WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY THIS LIMITED WARRANTY
This Limited Warranty does not provide coverage for any of the following:
1. Tires, batteries, stereo, television, range/stove, furnace, refrigerator, water
heater, microwave, generator, slide-out mechanisms, and other materials,
parts and components warranted by persons or entities other than Airstream.
Please refer to the warranties of component manufacturers for terms and
conditions of coverage;
2. Any part or component of the trailer that was not manufactured or installed
by Airstream;
3. Normal deterioration due to wear or exposure, including but not limited to
rust, corrosion, oxidation, and cosmetic blemishes;

Here's Jayco's warranty: WHAT IS NOT COVERED
By way of example only, this limited warranty does not cover any of the following: defects in materials, components or parts of the RV not... normal wear, tear or usage, such as tears, punctures, soiling, mildew, fading, or discoloration of exterior plastic or fiberglass, or soft goods, such as upholstery, drapes, carpet, vinyl, screens, cushions, mattresses and fabrics; the effects of condensation or moisture from condensation inside the RV; mold or any damage caused by mold to the inside or outside of the RV; imperfections that do not affect the suitability of the RV for its intended purpose of recreational use or items that are working as designed but that you are unhappy with; problems, including water leaks, ...

Here's Ford's warranty: Damage Caused by Use and/or the Environment
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover surface rust, deterioration and damage of paint, trim, upholstery, and other appearance items that result from use and/or exposure to the elements. You, as the owner, are responsible for these items.

I could continue, but hopefully the exclusion of "deterioration and/or fading" from the warranty of nearly every RV and vehicle is understood. I can't find any manufacturer who includes fading in the warranty. Some may at their option and as a "good will gesture" repair or replace an item, but that is not an obligation on the part of any manufacturer. Good luck with your RV, but choosing to buy another brand next time most likely won't assure you any better warranty from fading end caps.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #28
byrdr1

Thanks for this news. I missed the Grey front by one month.
I have waxed my front cap and the rest of the camper with the Protectant thats comes from CW in white bottle with blue lettering. I had a gallon of it for a while and waxed & polished everything we owned.. I cant think of its name for some reason.

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #29
tundraman67

Wow

When I purchased my new cougar a month ago I was looking at the grey fronts, but every one on the lot had the same issue: Keystones and KZs - every trailer and 5th wheel that had a painted front. Some of them were really bad and the saleswoman said they would have to paint them over because the owner wouldn't sell them like that. She also told me that every one that she sold this year that had a colored front end has come back for that specific issue and they had to turn them away because the warranty wouldn't cover it. I immediately told my DW that we were finding one with a white cap and we did and love it. I have used starbrite on my last unit and it seemed to not last as long as Meguiar's marine/rv wax. I have used it and it lasts about 6 months and comes off easier - I found it at a marine store but they have it here: http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Boat-.../dp/B0000AY50X

Hope this helps.

tundraman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:03 AM   #30
DJ85

Okay here is my point when I say they win we lose! Back some years ago Ford started having issues with the rail dust getting into the clear coat. They allowed us two paint jobs a month. When the dollars started adding up they then went to one paint jobs a month. They were at least fixing the problem. So people started complaining that if they were not going to fix their vehicle they would just go something else. So Ford quit allowing anything to be cosmetic redone unless you jump through hoops rolled over beg and scratch their belly. Sound familuar? They saw they were losing sales. So they started a 75/35 payment plan they paid 75% you paid 25%. Then the famous cover up started anybody remember seeing cars arrive at the dealer ship cover in white plastic yep that was Ford's fix and believe it or not it worked. Now for phase two the cost of the plastic went up remember supply and demand here! So they quit covering them up. Now we are right back to where we started Get it they win we lose? They know there is a problem, but now they covered it in the aahh yes the famous owners manual. Ever hear the one about the lest read book? Yep its the owners manual. So now onto keystone do they know they have a problem? You bet they do and what do you think they will do with it. He is right by telling them you will never buy a keystone again will get you no where. What we need to do is the power is in number. If everyone of us parked side by side and showed the world what we are taking from Keystone they could not act fast enough. Remember who is trying to become the #1 selling unit what do you think that would do to their ratings. Don't get me wrong here we love our camper faded cap or not. But here it is either we all do something or forget it all togather. Bottom line can you live with it or can you not? Thanks for listening

Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
Old 07-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #31
Poppy's 5th Wheel

To get this back on track ... has anyone tried this product:

http://www.poliglow-int.com/poli-glow/

I've heard it called a miracle cure and have watched the videos and it just looks too hard to me because I'm basically a lazy guy
2007 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison CC 4x4
2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Poppy's 5th Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #32
rnkburg

Yes, I have it. I used it on my boat that was starting to fade a little (95 model) It does a great job, but I can't stress enough CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN if you don't get it perfectly clean before applying, it will bring out the dirt and put it under the layer that the Polyshield applies. There cleaner is ok but doesn't get it all like they say. You can't spend enough time cleaning.

With that being said, it's been 2 years I think, and my shine is still there with this product. It does go on easy, and you do need to apply a few coats to get it right. I would recommend it.
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #33
CampJKL

Hey gang... Original poster here. I again want to thank all of the contributions to this thread. As has been stated before, looks like all of us including dealers are stuck with the fading issue.

Sad as you'd think Keystone would want their products looking good as they are rolling advertisements. I got a real sharp 2012 RV until you see the front... Looks like it is 10 years old.
CampJKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:32 AM   #34
mikell

Ford rail dust is not the issue it's the foundry dust from wherever final assembly is. rail dust will wash off foundry dust is spiked shaped and sticks. The city of Vassar Michigan nearly everyone in town gets a new paint job every year because of a foundry till they closed and took 400 jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ85 View Post
Okay here is my point when I say they win we lose! Back some years ago Ford started having issues with the rail dust getting into the clear coat. They allowed us two paint jobs a month. When the dollars started adding up they then went to one paint jobs a month. They were at least fixing the problem. So people started complaining that if they were not going to fix their vehicle they would just go something else. So Ford quit allowing anything to be cosmetic redone unless you jump through hoops rolled over beg and scratch their belly. Sound familuar? They saw they were losing sales. So they started a 75/35 payment plan they paid 75% you paid 25%. Then the famous cover up started anybody remember seeing cars arrive at the dealer ship cover in white plastic yep that was Ford's fix and believe it or not it worked. Now for phase two the cost of the plastic went up remember supply and demand here! So they quit covering them up. Now we are right back to where we started Get it they win we lose? They know there is a problem, but now they covered it in the aahh yes the famous owners manual. Ever hear the one about the lest read book? Yep its the owners manual. So now onto keystone do they know they have a problem? You bet they do and what do you think they will do with it. He is right by telling them you will never buy a keystone again will get you no where. What we need to do is the power is in number. If everyone of us parked side by side and showed the world what we are taking from Keystone they could not act fast enough. Remember who is trying to become the #1 selling unit what do you think that would do to their ratings. Don't get me wrong here we love our camper faded cap or not. But here it is either we all do something or forget it all togather. Bottom line can you live with it or can you not? Thanks for listening
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:41 AM   #35
SAABDOCTOR

as jrtjh stated cosmetics are not covered by warranty. been that way for years. we all signed that agreement when we bought our units. yes Every montana i have owned had a fadding front cap. elbow grease works and there are some products suggestedhere that are good. sometimes i do get an attitude. put your big boy pants on and get waxing! if we are going toband together make it a safty issue... something important which keystone seems to do well. Yes i would prefere to bedoing something ealse other than wax the cap several times a year but it keeps me looking like i am doing something and the dw doesn't give me something ealse to do! so it works out in the end. wax on rum and coke wax off. repeat till you don't care
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #36
Death1

Just got off the phone with Beckley's Camping center. They have sent my pics along with several others to Keystone for warranty. Keystone is now talking about painting the front cap to solve this issue. So it seems that Keystone is starting to step up to the plate here.
Death1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:05 AM   #37
TNT Miller

Can you use 303 protectant on all surfaces such as fiberglass and decals on all sides ? how about the rubber roof ?
TNT Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #38
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT Miller View Post
Can you use 303 protectant on all surfaces such as fiberglass and decals on all sides ? how about the rubber roof ?
I use 303 on all my RV surfaces (especially the rubber roof), on my vinyl tonneau cover and tires on the truck as well as the interior and exterior vinyl surfaces on the truck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #39
TNT Miller

Thank you JRTJH . I just got my 2013 Laredo 266RL back from camping world (I had it for two trips and they have had it for over a month ) Now I can detail it the correct way
Todd
TNT Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #40
DJ85

I have found that there are times I should just shut up and just listen to what people say and watch what they do. Some how I am thinking this is one of those times. I am getting better at it there was a time when I never thought twice about. Now I at least think about it just need to do it sooner. Hope all are well and healthy and living your dreams!!!!!!!!

Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up