Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2015, 12:29 PM   #181
J&C-Reno

Solution to faded front cap

Had the same problem with my 2013 Keystone Laredo 5th wheel. It faded during the 1st year, so I contacted Keystone after returning from traveling (warranty expired by about 2 months). At first they talked about repainting, with me getting estimates, then said no to that and offered me $750 which I accepted. Tried waxing but it soon faded again. I had a vinyl wrap done for $850. They removed the old decals, covered the front in white vinyl then added some stripes, photo and the name Nevada that I requested. From my research, vinyl seems to last 5 to 7 years easily. So, I am hoping this is a great solution. Grafix Unlimited in Sparks, NV did the design and work. Very pleased with result. I inserted an image.
Jack.... (in Reno Nevada)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV front after.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	9113  
J&C-Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:01 AM   #182
jimbari

Very cool idea with the "wrap".
That looks awesome, gave me some ideas, should I have some extra cash laying around! Enjoy.
jimbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 05:55 PM   #183
allenclme

That wrap looks beautiful. Can they match the original paint color? Ours is that Grey they put on the High Country that is starting to fade, but it looked good for three years.
allenclme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:48 AM   #184
JimHam

Re: 2012 End Cap Fade

After researching gel coat restoration and finding a procedure written by a guy with 40 years experience in the boating industry I followed his instructions as closely as I could. You have to remove all of the oxidation or you are wasting your time polishing and waxing. It just comes right back. If badly oxidized you are looking at sanding off the oxidized layer then buffing with 3M rubbing compound then polishing with Starbright polish then 3M marine wax. He recommended using the least aggressive method you can and still remove the oxidation. I chose to not sand because I was nervous about damaging the gel coat or even removing it completely. So I bought a WEN buffer off Amazon, some extra bonnets, 3M rubbing compound, Starbright polish, 3M Marine wax and went to work. After about 12 hours of buffing, polishing and waxing for the front end of my Cougar Travel trailer it looked like new. I parked it the best I could in the shade and facing east but it still gets sun. After two months I got up on a stepladder to clean the front and the finish is still shiny but I can see fading starting. Starbright recommends another coat after about a month which I have not had time to do but will be putting another coat on this week. Can't afford to repaint right now so I guess I will be polishing and buffing till I wear through the fiberglass. I bought it used and I doubt Keystone would help me with painting on a 2014 Cougar purchased secondhand and out of warranty.
JimHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:06 AM   #185
kfxgreenie

Re: 2012 End Cap Fade

I do the same, wax it once a month during camping season even though it is parked inside and wipe it down with detail spray after every use. While waxing I can still see oxidation that has happened, even though it is only outside roughly 5-6 days a month 6-7 months a year. I bought my 2012 used in 2015 as well and never took it up with keystone, as i knew what my answer would be. I'm not paying to paint so I will suck it up and wax it to keep er looking good.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote