Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2017, 12:55 PM   #1
retirednoc

Major Roof Issues with 2017 Premier

We have a 19ft Bullet Premier we bought last July 2017. This summer we discovered a major leak in the front over the Queen bed. While we were at the campground a mobile rv repair company had driven thru and we stopped to see if he would look at our camper. He did and discovered a major problem with our roof. The warranty went out July 9th and this was Aug 22nd. Took the camper back to Camping world and they have pulled it apart and found 'significant damage' inside the roof from water. They are contacting Keystone because this damage started long before the warranty expired although we saw no signs of it. This was either from inferior products or workmanship. Hopefully they will step up to the plate and fix our one year old Premier. We bought new because we didn't want this type of problem with used. So beware.
retirednoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:12 PM   #2
Tbos

Keep us up to date on the progress.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I hate to hear of your problem and hope Keystone will see their way clear to take care of it. What kind of maintenance have you done on the roof in the last year? I am afraid they are going to ask that or assume there was none - hopefully not but just a heads up.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:15 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by retirednoc View Post
We have a 19ft Bullet Premier we bought last July 2017. This summer we discovered a major leak in the front over the Queen bed. While we were at the campground a mobile rv repair company had driven thru and we stopped to see if he would look at our camper. He did and discovered a major problem with our roof. The warranty went out July 9th and this was Aug 22nd. Took the camper back to Camping world and they have pulled it apart and found 'significant damage' inside the roof from water. They are contacting Keystone because this damage started long before the warranty expired although we saw no signs of it. This was either from inferior products or workmanship. Hopefully they will step up to the plate and fix our one year old Premier. We bought new because we didn't want this type of problem with used. So beware.
I'm making an assumption here, that you purchased your trailer in July 2016 (not 2017)?? Had you bought it "new last July 2017" it would still be covered by the 1 year Keystone warranty until July 2018. That may seem like a "simple typing mistake" but when dealing with a reluctant Keystone and a disinterested CW franchise, make sure you have "dotted every i and crossed every t". As for proof that you did the owner inspections and repaired any cracked/separated sealant, do you have any receipts for supplies? any documentation of when you inspected the roof, what you found and how you repaired any deficiencies? Without that kind of evidence, your warranty is no longer in effect and anything Keystone does is "in the interest of customer good will" which seems to vary from day to day and from situation to situation.

Good luck and keep us posted on the results of your dealer's correspondence with Keystone.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:14 PM   #5
Ken / Claudia

Please explain, What is the major problem? I understand the roof leaks and that caused damage. Telling us what the problem is may help others on here.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:33 PM   #6
dcg9381

The "roof" issues on my Carbon and other models came from the roof material not being glued properly... Anything else, like a void in the sealant, good luck.. Let us know what they find and take some photos, we can give you ideas.

How they document this is going to be VERY IMPORTANT in regard to your claim. Keystone generally doesn't do much past warranty period..
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:27 PM   #7
Canonman

We had good luck working through CW. They took our roof problem to Keystone and they agreed to the repairs even though the warranty had expired by 2 months. Most roofs have a 10 year warranty from the manufacturer. As a back up we did involve our insurance company and they would have covered the problem if Keystone had not since it was weather (wind) related.
I think it's really important how the service manager and warranty liaison at CW present the problem to Keystone. In our case they were very effective.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5998 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	14411  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:35 PM   #8
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Most roofs have a 10 year warranty from the manufacturer.
That "warranty" refers to the roof material, not leaks due to poor installation of that material, debonding, staples protruding under it, or lack of maintenance...

IE - I don't think I've ever heard of a successful claim under that 10-year warranty.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:13 PM   #9
retirednoc

Keystone

We were told by CW last week Keystone has agreed to repairs thru ‘good will’. They have ordered the cabinets to be replaced and will take about 30 days. The insulation will be replaced and if plywood needs to be replaced they will contact Keystone to get the approval for that also. So far so good, will see how it goes.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:16 PM   #10
retirednoc

Yes 2016 not 2017. Fat fingers!
Old 11-02-2017, 12:50 PM   #11
dcg9381

That is great!
Old 11-28-2017, 02:10 PM   #12
retirednoc

CW now has the parts from Keystone and delivered the trailer to them yesterday 11-28. They said it should take about a week.

Tags
roof