Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2017, 08:36 AM   #1
lonewolftx

Wink Class A or B Lic TX. . .

I recently watched a video on utube discussing the laws in various states regarding types of drivers lic. required to haul heavy rigs like my truck & toy hauler. I found in Texas if your tow vehicle and 5th wheel trailer are rated at over 26,001 lbs (not what you actual wieght but what you are cabable of weighing) then you now need a Class A, non commercial lic. Given my truck & trailer weights, GVWR, come in at almost 33,000 lbs. (truck 14,000 & trailer 19,000) I should legally go get this. I suspect all triple axel Toy Haulers are in this wieght class. But it also applies to motor homes pulling roads (Class B), trucks hauling trailers hauling boats, etc.

It was all news to me as well at the folks at DPS. Many had never done paperwork for this “non CDL-2” lic before. Their quote was “we do very few of these“. What is involved is a 20 question test on section 14 of the commercial driver Manuel (on line at DOS website in TX) and then you get your learning permit. Once ready you go to a testing station with your rig and do a drivers test. WHO KNEW? It only costs $11.00 but then there is the time and effort involved to go to the offices to get this done.

This all makes sense but I had never heard from a dealer, other RVers, or anyone else about this recent change here in Texas. Here is the link to utube video’s:
https://youtu.be/7UBGRpuIMEI.
https://youtu.be/vm5Uc1DwptU

Here is the DPS website about it. TxDPS - Classes of Driver Licenses.

I wasn’t too worried about not having this Class A endorsement until I thought about having an accident or getting pulled over. Seems like the police aren’t aware yet of this change but who would want an insurance claim denied for not being licenced to drive your own rig?

So up shot is I’m going in Monday for the written test to get my learners permit and then take the drivers test later in the week. Look into your states laws as given the RV traffic on the roads these days many states are changing their laws to make sure drivers have a clue as to how to drive “Big Rigs!”

Hope they done deny me for not having a lic class A person with me as I’ll only have a learners permit when I take the rig to do the driving test. I don’t even know anyone w/ a CDL, commercial or non commercial. Gezzz. . . . . .

We're not here for a LONG TIME, We're here for a GOOD TIME! HOOH!
2016 Fuzion Chrome 420 18.5k, '16 F350 DRW PSD CCLB, LKR Fx4, WH Platinum Tri, 4.1 LSD, MR, PullRite OE 25K 5th, High CT, EB Heater, Tailgate Step, Recon RL's, Air Lift System, TruXcedo Lopro, DZ TG Assist, KC Lights, Pop&Lock TG, Cable Lock
lonewolftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:55 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

There are several threads on the forum about Texas and complying with this law. Some of the comments centered around the need to find someone with a CDL to drive your rig to the test station for the driving test. One of the concerns was, what if you fail the test, who will drive the rig away from the testing area? Additionally, one poster did mention that they were checked to see who drove the rig to the test site.... A "sticky wicket" kind of "gotcha"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:30 AM   #3
lonewolftx

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There are several threads on the forum about Texas and complying with this law. Some of the comments centered around the need to find someone with a CDL to drive your rig to the test station for the driving test. One of the concerns was, what if you fail the test, who will drive the rig away from the testing area? Additionally, one poster did mention that they were checked to see who drove the rig to the test site.... A "sticky wicket" kind of "gotcha"....
Does anyone in the forum know where you can find a lic Class CDL driver to use for the test? Gets to be a problem.

2016 Fuzion Chrome 420 18.5k, '16 F350 DRW PSD CCLB, LKR Fx4, WH Platinum Tri, 4.1 LSD, MR, PullRite OE 25K 5th, High CT, EB Heater, Tailgate Step, Recon RL's, Air Lift System, TruXcedo Lopro, DZ TG Assist, KC Lights, Pop&Lock TG, Cable Lock
Old 10-15-2017, 09:40 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolftx View Post
Does anyone in the forum know where you can find a lic Class CDL driver to use for the test? Gets to be a problem.
You might send a PM to member C130. He lives around the Houston area and went through the process about a year ago. He may be able to offer you some suggestions on how he did it. He was last on the forum a couple days ago, so he is still active, at least in reading posts. Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-15-2017, 10:00 AM   #5
Javi

You might want to look at your registration paper on the dually.... most dealerships register a dually at 9600 pounds GVWR.... mine did... and that won't fly for the Class A
Old 10-16-2017, 05:33 AM   #6
lonewolftx

Wink Looked. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
You might want to look at your registration paper on the dually.... most dealerships register a dually at 9600 pounds GVWR.... mine did... and that won't fly for the Class A
Well looking at the drivers door sticker my rear axel (GAWR) is rated at 9,640 lbs but the truck sticker shows GVWR at 14,000 lbs. so not an issue.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:50 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolftx View Post
Well looking at the drivers door sticker my rear axel (GAWR) is rated at 9,640 lbs but the truck sticker shows GVWR at 14,000 lbs. so not an issue.
I'm not trying to step on Javi's toes, but what I think he's saying is that the registration is "weight based" and if it doesn't match what's on the door sticker, there may be a problem with how the vehicle is registered when trying to use it in a test drive situation where it's "expected" to surpass 26,001 pounds. That's not a physical limitation but a paperwork glitch that might cause an issue ????

If that's not what Javi intended to convey, my apologies.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-16-2017, 07:54 AM   #8
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'm not trying to step on Javi's toes, but what I think he's saying is that the registration is "weight based" and if it doesn't match what's on the door sticker, there may be a problem with how the vehicle is registered when trying to use it in a test drive situation where it's "expected" to surpass 26,001 pounds. That's not a physical limitation but a paperwork glitch that might cause an issue ????

If that's not what Javi intended to convey, my apologies.
Nope... that's what I was saying... Look at the paper that came with your license plates... bet it's licensed for 9600 lbs. like mine was.. 14K would be north of $130 fee
Old 10-16-2017, 01:23 PM   #9
dcg9381

I have the non-CDL A in Texas. Here are a few of my thoughts:

* Very few DPS stations have *any* experience giving this written test. Some of us were tested over many sections of the CDL test. Some of us were only given one. It depends on where you go, who you talk to, and seems to vary. I pushed VERY HARD for a written policy that I could hand the local DPS office and was basically refused one.

* They didn't ask "how did the rig get here" when I showed up for the driving portion. For all they know, your buddy equipped with the class-A is one block over having lunch.

* For me, the written test included all about air-brakes. Basically, you're being licensed to drive an air-brake equipped class A or towable with air-brakes. Expect to have to study.

> I wasn’t too worried about not having this Class A endorsement until I thought about having an accident or getting pulled over. Seems like the police aren’t aware yet of this change but who would want an insurance claim denied for not being licenced to drive your own rig?

The PD would have to look at your door sticker and the sticker in your rig. Worst case, be able to "suspect" that you are over weight and have probable cause to look at the stickers. I've NEVER once heard of an insurance company denying a claim based on lack of a Class-A license, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. I would fear it MUCH MORE in a civil liability case.

* I have had friends with these licenses have "trouble" being treated like non-CDL drivers for reasons of ticket dismissal and drivers education. Jurisdictions see the "A" license, assume it's CDL, and then apply CDL rules.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:39 PM   #10
Tbos

Quote:
Nope... that's what I was saying... Look at the paper that came with your license plates... bet it's licensed for 9600 lbs. like mine was.. 14K would be north of $130 fee

My truck isn't registered for the 14k either. Looks like I'll have to get that fixed when I buy the 5er.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:57 PM   #11
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
My truck isn't registered for the 14k either. Looks like I'll have to get that fixed when I buy the 5er.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Down here you can register an F350 dually for any weight from 9600 up to the sticker.. in my case 14K... but you're not required to max it out... Currently 10,001 to 18,000 is a $110 plus a few other fees.. about $131

So, technically you can register it for 10K up to the sticker 14K, but most dealers go for the $54 fee and stay under 10K

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...o0mJpnzG9-J6Ba
Old 10-16-2017, 03:00 PM   #12
lonewolftx

Wink Checked it. . .

Quote:
My renewal registration listed the max rating of 14,000 lbs so I’ll have that with me and clearly the renewal stickers on the window and the door label are self explanatory. So having passed the written, tested only on section 14, set to road test in 2 weeks in Rosenburg, TX. DPS had no issue with me driving the rig to the site. I emailed C130 and his experience was very straight forward with driving rig there, driving around on freeways with lots of off and on to test for merging, turn signals, staying lane, etc.

Thanks for all the input and feedback on this as it seems it has changed since July 2016 when Texas decided to join a National CDL program to standardize it. They've also begun consolidating the whole process, to 25 sites throughout the state which comes up when you can do the online appointment.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:08 AM   #13
chollahan

You would think I would have remembered that Texas has non-cdl B and A licenses. However, in my 22 years of police work, I can count on both hands the number of them I ran across (most if not all were non-cdl B's). They were firemen if I remember right.

I'll wind up getting one just to cover my bases. Also we have Geico, and if I had one it would get me a 10% discount.

Chris in Leonard
2010 Raptor RP3812
2014 Ford F250 Lariat FX4 6.7l
chollahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:35 PM   #14
dcg9381

chollahan,

Does the Texas CDL clearly say "CDL" - or is it simply a class?
I just had a buddy have one heck of a time taking defensive driving because the local jurisdiction assumed that "class-A" = CDL.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:52 PM   #15
chollahan

If I remember right, (I've been retired for 2 years now) it says "commercial driver's license" at the top if it is a CDL. I can understand folks having a hard time understanding it. First one I ever stopped, I called a trooper friend to verify it then looked it up. Like I said, not very common, and most DO just assume a DL with anything but "C" on it is a CDL.

Here's a link from Texas DPS that lists the location of stations for a non-cdl A or B test.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/administra...hTestSites.htm

A link to the application that lists what vehicles are exempt from needing a CDL.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/CDL-2.pdf

Chris in Leonard
2010 Raptor RP3812
2014 Ford F250 Lariat FX4 6.7l
chollahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:51 AM   #16
Tinner12002

Well I guess I won't be using Texas as my future domain!
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:07 AM   #17
lonewolftx

Wink Done. . .

Took the drivers test and all went well. Now the proud owner of a Texas Nonexempt Class A lic. . Cost a whole $11 plus a lot of time. It has been an interesting discussion here. Thanks!

Old 11-01-2017, 12:12 PM   #18
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
Well I guess I won't be using Texas as my future domain!
Feel free to use Texas as your domain, just expect to have to travel to one of the few jurisdictions that knows what the heck they are doing with non-CDL-A. I think there is a good one near DFW.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:10 PM   #19
lonewolftx

Well got the new lic and they issued a Class B instead of a Class A as filed for. Gezzzzzzz. Now go get in line to fix this mess.