Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2017, 08:47 PM   #1
ptooti

E-Bikes for camping

Does anyone travel with e-bikes we have 2 already that we use at home they are large but are looking for smaller ones to travel with when we take the Trailer we would be interested in hearing from those of you that have them and your opinions on the different models etc.

The ones we have are shown below

voltbike.ca
ptooti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:22 AM   #2
cvin

I have several E bikes that’s why I have the outback front toy hauler model, so I can bring those with me

Those voltbike mariners are nice bikes, a friend of mine has one

Right now the front of my trailer has a rad rover, rad mini, a cheap knock off 20 inch fat tire similar to your bikes and another 26 inch Chinese knock off 4 inch fat tire

Ride them all over, like the fat tires for gravel forest roads etc. but do a decent amount of riding on pavement also

I am sticking with the fat tires, although I may get one mid drive 3 inch in the next few months

Other than going to a 20 inch Folder with smaller tires I don’t know how much smaller you can get Thdn the voltbike that you have

I have a prodeco mariner which is smaller 20 inch tires, throttle only and it’s been a pretty good bike, it is lighter to move around etc. and folds pretty small, they have a two year warranty which is nice

Biktrix has a 20 inch folder also I think, Sondors just put out that 20 inch

If you are going to stay with 20 inch folders which is as small footprint as I can think of, there are a lot more options now
Teen, magnum etc

Ebr is a great forum/ review site for researching electric bikes

As you know they are getting better every year
Old 10-05-2017, 06:41 AM   #3
fatcatzzz

Wife and I are looking at the Rad mini. We like the folding model. Little pricy, but what the heck. Only live once. Headed North soon and plan to stop at a dealer and take a test ride. Check out the youtube videos.

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:51 AM   #4
cvin

Rad power has excellent customer service and support after warranty has run out, you will enjoy the mini
Old 10-05-2017, 02:16 PM   #5
ptooti

Good to know!

Thanks for sharing that insight although the mariner has 20"
tires one would think its small but its not the fat tires add to the wheel size significantly like about another 7 or 8 inches on top of the 20"
rim, they are excellent on gravel and trail's we really enjoy them maybe i will just have to get a good bike carrier. I also love the Rad Mini they look so cool but could not find a dealer in Canada, that would have been my bike of choice! do your cheap knock off perform ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvin View Post
I have several E bikes that’s why I have the outback front toy hauler model, so I can bring those with me

Those voltbike mariners are nice bikes, a friend of mine has one

Right now the front of my trailer has a rad rover, rad mini, a cheap knock off 20 inch fat tire similar to your bikes and another 26 inch Chinese knock off 4 inch fat tire

Ride them all over, like the fat tires for gravel forest roads etc. but do a decent amount of riding on pavement also

I am sticking with the fat tires, although I may get one mid drive 3 inch in the next few months

Other than going to a 20 inch Folder with smaller tires I don’t know how much smaller you can get Thdn the voltbike that you have

I have a prodeco mariner which is smaller 20 inch tires, throttle only and it’s been a pretty good bike, it is lighter to move around etc. and folds pretty small, they have a two year warranty which is nice

Biktrix has a 20 inch folder also I think, Sondors just put out that 20 inch

If you are going to stay with 20 inch folders which is as small footprint as I can think of, there are a lot more options now
Teen, magnum etc

Ebr is a great forum/ review site for researching electric bikes

As you know they are getting better every year
Old 10-05-2017, 02:30 PM   #6
cvin

Rad power has great customer service but i think the voltbike is a little smaller/lighter and i do like the 9 levels of pas on it vs the mini 5....

If i lived in canada would buy the voltbike hands down—did read the other day that rad power is opening a warehouse in canada though

I bought those two chinese bikes last year at interbike cheap and they have both been great for me but i am paranoid about the batteries...
Old 10-11-2017, 10:28 AM   #7
ptooti

available

Voltbike does ship to the usa and with the stronger US dollar these bikes are a steal..lol I'm interested in the Rad Mini I know on the voltbike I can't put my feet flat on the ground I'm female 5'4" so I find it a bit too big for me. I cheap knockoff for camping may be my next plan

voltbike.ca
Old 10-11-2017, 12:30 PM   #8
cvin

I agree the voltbike is a steal in the US, that is why i pushed my friend to get one

I dont think the radmini is any shorter standover height than the voltbike mariner, if it is probably not much
They are both 20x4 inch fat tires

My prodeco mariner 20 inch may be a little shorter, not sure but is definitely lighter and smaller footprint
Old 10-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #9
Lisa*camps

I'm interested In travelling with e bikes..i've recently started reading about them. As I personally do not know anyone who owns one, I would like some guidance. Any info anyone can provide is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Lisa*camps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:51 AM   #10
cvin

long story but i was looking for something to get me back to a car i sometimes have to park 3 miles away and ended up with my first ebike
i did not even want a bicycle lol

now i have 7 lol
take friends riding a lot and people love them

can honestly say you wont regret it if you buy one, they are tons of fun and you get exercise

i am 50 and had not been on a bicycle in 30 years

i tend to be partial to the fatter tire bikes for stability and the ability to change from gravel/sand/ dirt/pavement without the bike losing traction etc

this is helpful for my friends that want to ride and who have not been on a bike in years too

i also ride a lot of forest service gravel/dirt roads in the summers and these do great for that

disadvantage to fatter tire is they are heavier and not as nimble

since i am a more casual rider and stay around 8-12 mph the fat tires do well for me

unless you are already a serious cyclist i would look at some of these bikes we have been discussing

voltbike- good customer service, 1 year warranty i think, but havent hear anything bad about them and they seem to be supporting customers after warranty is over

rad power- i would say the same about rad power, they have been great with warranty and out of warranty stuff for me

the 2 companies above have fat tire and regular tire bikes- they are direct to consumer online stores

easy motion is a little pricier but has really good warranties- but you will need a shop to warranty the bike...
prodeco are not bad bikes and have 2 year warranties

rad power, voltbike and prodeco are hub motor bikes so easier for regular bike shops to work on...

mid drive bikes are usually more money, are supposed to have a more normal bicycle feel with giving you "bionic legs", need a little more maintenance and cost more to maintain long term

more serious cyclists tend to like mid drives because most are torque sensor bikes and feel more normal

planning to buy 1 mid drive in the next few months but most of my other bikes are hub motors with pedal assist and throttle option and i am very happy with them
i personally like having the throttle in case the chain breaks, i hurt myself and need to get back to the car without pedalling etc

i would say you cannot get a decent ebike for under $1200
1200-1600 tend to be decent entry range ebikes

https://electricbikereview.com/forum/
is an excellent website/forum with ebike reviews

https://crazylennysebikes.com
i have bought bikes here and they are probably the best prices in the US for some of the higher end bikes- if you contact them i would deal with ravi, he knows more about ebikes than anybody i know lol

hope this helps some

if you anywhere near az in the next few months you can try some of mine and see what you think
Old 10-14-2017, 07:11 AM   #11
Lisa*camps

You are awesome..just the info I needed to hear! No, sadly I won't be in AZ anytime soon, thanks for the offer.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:03 AM   #12
Voyager

This is my home built Ebike with front wheel geared hub motor, I have over 5000k on it, works great, I take it camping all the time, usually my dog rides with me but sometimes the cat gets to go, lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AB3AFF1D-B72E-4751-83CE-BB02C82A3446.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	14325  
2 Champion 2000's
Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:08 AM   #13
Lisa*camps

That makes me smile!

Old 10-14-2017, 09:41 AM   #14
cvin

I love the cat pic!

Voyager brings up a good point, if you already have a bicycle you like there are some nice ebike conversion kits
Old 10-14-2017, 12:50 PM   #15
ptooti

Awww

Awww thats awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
This is my home built Ebike with front wheel geared hub motor, I have over 5000k on it, works great, I take it camping all the time, usually my dog rides with me but sometimes the cat gets to go, lol.

Tags
bike