Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2017, 06:47 PM   #1
fraleywp

New member and new to me RV.

Hi all,

I joined a few days ago but just picked up my RV today. This is my first RV.

I looked at many different new RVs and just about purchased a Crossroads until I read a lot of negative posts about this brand on various forums. So I kept looking and found the RV I ultimately ended up buying.

So, I ended up with a 2013 Passport 2650BH. I feel like this option offered me the most for my money. I paid for it in cash but I bought it from a dealer. In the state of GA, if you buy from a dealer the sales tax covers the Ad Velorum taxes for as long as you own it. If you buy from an individual you have to pay this additional tax every year. So stupid to stick it to the little guy but it is what it is.

Moving on to the RV. I was very surprised at how little wear there is on this unit. I don't think the original owner used it a whole lot. Everything looks essentially brand new. The amount of space with the slider open is surprising to me as well. I am hoping to get several years of enjoyment out of it.

The only thing I need to do soon is to replace the tongue jack with an electric one.

I am also impressed with how well my 2015 F150 towed this thing. It is smooth as silk. I did put a weight distributing hitch on it so obviously that is a big help.

I plan to take my first camping trip this coming weekend. Here are a couple pics I took at the dealership and the storage facility.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
fraleywp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:50 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Congrats on your new to you RV. Lots of good information and loads of great people here.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:34 PM   #3
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
Looks like a nice set up. Many years of enjoyment for you. Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:15 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the forum! Looks like you have a great rig. You are going to have a great time and lots of fun with your new setup.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:59 AM   #5
14george

Welcome to the fourm congrats
Old 08-06-2017, 03:34 AM   #6
CrazyCain

Welcome to the forum from SE Michigan. ENnoy the new camper..Lots of great people here...

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 03:47 AM   #7
86GT2r

Congrats on the new RV. We had a 2012 2650BH & loved it. There is an amazing amount of storage in these.
---------------------
86GT2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 03:59 AM   #8
the sodfather

Nice setup. You won't have to worry about the "weight police" getting you. Now go enjoy that thing!
Old 08-06-2017, 04:43 AM   #9
fixn2gocamp

Welcome to the forum!! Very nice looking RV and truck....enjoy yourself and travel safe.
2020 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4
Reese M-5 20000 Lb 5th wheel hitch
Also in inventory: 2020 Big Horn 3925 MLP 5th wheel
fixn2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 04:46 AM   #10
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

to The Forum From Western PA

Congrats on your new to you Passport !! Enjoy !!

Be Safe and Happy Camping.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:00 AM   #11
fraleywp

Thanks for the welcome guys. I spent hours looking at RVs and I feel confident this was the right choice. I limited my search to RVs that were under 5k dry weight. This limited a lot of features on many models in my price range. My price was limited by only wanting what I can pay cash for. Didn't want to deal with financing at all.

I am well under my max. If I ever upgrade to something larger I will have to upgrade to a beefier tow vehicle as well. In other words, not anytime soon. Lol

Old 08-06-2017, 07:04 AM   #12
Tbos

Welcome to the forum from Southern MD. Enjoy your new to you rig. It looks great. The 2650 was on our short list before we bought our 2810. We love it. Have fun making memories with your family.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:55 AM   #13
Retired Copper

Welcome and you will love the camper. I have almost the same setup as you; wanted a camper under 5k and this is what the boss lady wanted so I gave in.I couldn't get rid of the truck; it was my sons and I lost him right after he bought it and vow that the tuck want leave the hill. the things I've encountered pulling this camper with a F150 are as follows: IF you have the sra tires make sure they are at max pressure the have a lot of flex in side walls, I didn't like them and put some LT tires on the truck. Decided to check shocks and found out what shocks, I felt no resistance so I added 5100's on the back. The truck stays under 3k rpms almost all the time at hwy speeds between 50 and 60, the fastest I want to pull it because of trailer tires. I try to keep the camper as lite as possible only using mostly lite weight camping gear; sleeping bags, camping pots stuff made for tent camping. I pull it dry except for a couple of gallons in the black tank. Just enough food for two days, always seems you have to run to a store somewhere anyway. It pulls and handles great if the wdh and sway control is set up even closely right. Most of the time semi's don't even effect it but every once in awhile I get a little wakeup call nothing bad. You need some type of tow morrows so keep an eye out for them. I am using an E2 trunnion hitch but now am adding the e4.Last trip out I got 11.2 mpg using 89 octane. Load right and light'watch tire pressures and enjoy the rig' we like ours.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:14 AM   #14
fraleywp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Copper View Post
Welcome and you will love the camper. I have almost the same setup as you; wanted a camper under 5k and this is what the boss lady wanted so I gave in.I couldn't get rid of the truck; it was my sons and I lost him right after he bought it and vow that the tuck want leave the hill. the things I've encountered pulling this camper with a F150 are as follows: IF you have the sra tires make sure they are at max pressure the have a lot of flex in side walls, I didn't like them and put some LT tires on the truck. Decided to check shocks and found out what shocks, I felt no resistance so I added 5100's on the back. The truck stays under 3k rpms almost all the time at hwy speeds between 50 and 60, the fastest I want to pull it because of trailer tires. I try to keep the camper as lite as possible only using mostly lite weight camping gear; sleeping bags, camping pots stuff made for tent camping. I pull it dry except for a couple of gallons in the black tank. Just enough food for two days, always seems you have to run to a store somewhere anyway. It pulls and handles great if the whd and sway control is set up even closely right. Most of the time semi's don't even effect it but every once in awhile I get a little wakeup call nothing bad. You need some type of tow morrows so keep an eye out for them. I am using an E2 trunnion hitch but now am adding the e4.Last trip out I got 11.2 mpg using 89 octane. Load right and light'watch tire pressures and enjoy the rig' we like ours.
Hello and thanks for the advice. I have tires designed for off-road and highway. They have a very stiff sidewall and are puncture resistant. I wanted an aggressive tire but still useable for highway driving.

I already had the shocks on my list and I have leveled the truck. It didn't seem to drop at all with the trailer attached. It is an E2 WDH.

I ordered custom fit tow mirrors that attach over the factory mirrors. I will eventually get full power extending tow mirrors once they are back in stock.

I used to tow a 25' Cabin Cruiser so the main difference will be the win resistance, or lack thereof.

I can't wait to get out and use it. I plan to do a basic trip this coming weekend to try it all out. Couple hours from home.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:40 AM   #15
Gegrad

Nice Passport and welcome to the forum!
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:27 AM   #16
fraleywp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Copper View Post
I couldn't get rid of the truck; it was my sons and I lost him right after he bought it and vow that the tuck want leave the hill.
I completely understand why and I am sorry for your loss. I missed this when I read your reply on my phone.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:11 AM   #17
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Welcome to the forum from Kansas City, MO! Glad you're here!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:02 PM   #18
Goose

Welcome from Orlando, FL and congrats on your new rig. Very nice! I have a 2014 Passport 252BH. We absolutely love ours and I'm sure you will love yours just as much. We toured a lot of different models and ours just had the best layout for us. I also pull mine with a 2016 F-150 and it does very well. Enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just want to go camping.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:23 PM   #19
fraleywp

I forgot to mention that adding the factory brake controller took me 20 minutes plus another 5 using forscan to enable it. Only works if you have the factory towing package.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:59 PM   #20
TheGriz

Welcome to the forum fraleywp. I am a member of only a couple weeks myself, and already have reaped rewards from the braintrust here. Good luck with the new rig!!!

Regards,
Mike...TheGriz

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags