Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2017, 09:10 AM   #1
kwsmith

New to Keystone

Good morning,

Returned late last night from Harrison Lake Ohio and the 5th wheel is a trip to pull....in a good way. I have a 250 Super Duty Turbo bullet proof and works well with the hitch. I did have some issues with the camper but will post later....thanks Keith
kwsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:14 AM   #2
kwsmith

I have a question regarding a 06 Keystone Outback 5th wheel. I cannot get any hot water to come out of the faucets. I have a bypass on the water heater and after I purged the air for the 1st time I get nothing. Cold comes on, and I have hot water comes out the fresh water tank. I was told the valves are turned on wrong.....I can find only 0ne valve, one to shut off to the hot water heater and the same one turns to go to the whole cabin
Old 04-25-2017, 09:24 AM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Hopefully you did not have the HWT bypassed with no water in the tank and turned on the electric and or gas heater. Do not understand you comment regarding HOT water coming out of FWT
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:54 AM   #4
kwsmith

no hot h2o

yeah I'm confused as well.....I did not bypass the hot water tank before the electric, good to go but my comment on the hot water draining out of fresh water tank is I opened up the draidn of the primary potable water tank, the one you drain before you travel anywhere. Hot water came out. I have never had that happen before. The water pump cycles and I get cold water but nothing on the hot side? is it possible I blew out a valve or damaged something when I hooked city water to the system early this spring to flush out the antifreeze?
Old 04-25-2017, 10:17 AM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

I have no idea how you are getting Hot water in your FWT?? You mentioned electric so I assume your HWT is electric only? If you know your tank is full of water and not bypassed. make sure you have all switches/breakers on, some HWT tanks have a switch on the outside on the actual tank, a switch in your rig and or a 110VAC circuit breaker in your power distribution panel. Again hopefully you did not burn out a heating element by turning it on with no water in the tank. On the ouside there are also one or two reset buttons you may want to press
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:21 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

You have used this trailer before and everything was fine the last time you used it...right??
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:50 AM   #7
kwsmith

yes, no problems last year at all
Old 04-25-2017, 11:16 AM   #8
kwsmith

I hear the pump struggling when I bypass the HWT which when I turn the valve back to non-bypass the hot water side dies. Cold works fine.....I think I am going to have to take it to Camping world
Old 04-25-2017, 01:00 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

OK, let's think about this. The hot water heater is putting hot water into the FW tank? The water system in the trailer is a closed loop more or less; either all cold (bypass) or hot and cold (normal). The only route to the FW tank is through the water pump - and it pumps cold water out. How are you backfeeding hot water through the pump into the FW tank - and have no hot water anywhere else? Or am I misunderstanding?
Old 04-26-2017, 05:07 AM   #10
kwsmith

I'm really confused and have been now for 4 days. I do have hot water come out for a few seconds and then it just stop's. The cold water works fine. Sounds as though the water pump was failing. I was told last nite that the water pump may have had a dead spot or a area that was unable to draw water due to me using a pressurized air system to winterize the R.V. this left a area that was completely empty of water and the I need to create a "vacuum" ?? So I spent half the night finding the water pump, then taking it off the base due to it's location and trying to connect a hose to the inlet and fill the pump and dead space. I gave up after it was dark and I was frustrated with my lack of results. I'm not sure what to do.......;does it make sense to you on what I am doing? or trying to do
Old 04-26-2017, 05:13 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

The water pump will pull water and pressurize the system without having to do anything other than making sure the valve(s) to the pump from the FW tank are in the correct position.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:20 AM   #12
kwsmith

No Hot water

Wow, I'm not sure if I'm glad or sad I read your comment after 2 hours of doing what the Outback guy said to do. I only have one valve......that's it. the RV owner here in Toledo at Rockwood said there has to be 2 or 3..... and that's it. Everything ran good last year. I'm confused and of course all the RVshops, or dealers are to busy to check it for at least 3 week's out. thanks for at least reading my thread......
Old 04-26-2017, 05:53 AM   #13
canesfan

As John said, the water pump will pressurize itself, no need to do what the Outback guy told you. That's the first time I ever heard that story. As for the Rockwood guy, well, yeah.

Since you only have one valve and it worked fine last year, the valve can only be in one position or the other, or I'd hope so. So what position was it in last year when it worked fine? this whole thing is odd, and more so with the hot water in the FWT.

As for the water pump failing, you wouldn't have water period, not just no hot water.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:04 AM   #14
kwsmith

Bewildered

YEah thanks for the reply, I will figure this whole HWT problem and post what I figure out or what someone else figures out. The valve is in the same position it was in last in all last year......I have followed the water lines hot and cold under the floor and just don't get it???
Old 04-26-2017, 06:09 AM   #15
canesfan

Why not try this. Turn OFF your hot water heater. Drain your fresh water tank AND your hot water heater. Fill your FWT and turn on the pump which should pump water into your HWH (of course make sure your HWH is not in the bypass position). Let the pump run until it stops, should take a couple of minutes depending on the size of your HWH. Now turn ON your HWH and let it heat up an hour or two. Turn on your cold water and see what you get (probably a lot of air and sputtering for a bit). Turn OFF your cold water and turn on your hot water and see what you get. Stop. Report back.

Edit - Maybe test again using the city water connection and not the pump.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:23 AM   #16
kwsmith

Thank you very much, that sounds like a lot of common sense and just might work or at least rule out what it isn't......I will report what I find
Old 04-26-2017, 06:52 AM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

After you drain the WH, and start filling it, make sure the plug is in the drain and the pressure relief valve is closed. Open a faucet (hot only) until you get water. There is an air gap at the top of the WH tank and it needs to be there.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:59 AM   #18
canesfan

^^^ Chuckser57 beat me to it. I was just coming to post that. Also be careful on emptying in case there IS hot water in your HWH.

One other thing I've thought about too...you said your cold water works fine, but HOT water came out when you drained the fresh water tank. That doesn't make sense. If there was hot water in your tank you would get hot water out your cold faucets. Where is the drain for your fresh water tank?
Old 04-26-2017, 07:03 AM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

Just a thought here. I have heard of hot water backfeeding into the cold water line before. The typical culprit is a shower head with a turn off valve at the head (i.e. both valves are open but water is not coming out of the shower head). With both valves open and no exit the water is free to flow in either direction. If you fill the HW tank and do not vent it, air inside the tank will compress and "push the hot water thru the line. Check your outside shower head as well if so equipped.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:01 AM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Also, to simplify the matter and take the pump out/FWT of the equation use city water if you have access. Connect the city water, leave the pump off and the HWT fill. Doesn't matter if it heats up or not just let it fill with the pressure valve closed and plug in it. When it's full open cold water faucet and it should run or spit then run, close it then open the hot water faucet it should do the same. If not, go to the hot water heater and crack the pressure valve - watch out for hot water if you turned it on - I wouldn't for this exercise. When you crack it you should get a rush of air and/or water. If you get the air/water your bypass is in the right position. If not, it is still in bypass and needs to be turned. Once you have got water going to the HWT, turn off the city water, make sure the pressure valve is closed, drain some water from the HWT (pressure valve open) and refill (pressure valve closed). Turn on the HWT and let it heat up for an hour. Check the faucets and make sure you have hot and cold. If so (hopefully), turn off the city water and disconnect. Make sure you have water in the FWT and turn on the water pump. It should prime pretty quickly with the HWT full. When it shuts off try the faucets again. Things should work just like they did with city water with the exception of the pump running. If not, you have a pump/FWT problem.

Tags
keystone