Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2017, 05:15 AM   #1
BricRoth

First impressions of 2017 Keystone Passport 217exp

Hi all, I am going to make this a mini review of the 2017 Keystone Passport 217exp.

Took delivery 3 weeks ago of a brand new 2017 Passport 217exp. It is replacing a 1999 Coleman popup that was part of our family for 17 years. We chose the Hybrid because we still love and prefer the tent experience vs. hard sides and less floor space. The sales and delivery experience went fine and there were no surprises at all.

After we got the trailer home, I began to compile a list of aftermarket accessories we would "need". The first surprise was what a guy can spend getting a new TT to get it ready for another 15 years of camping. Two roof vent covers followed by two roof vent fans, tornado tank rinser, battery disconnect, surge protector, various water hoses fittings and pressure regulators, Oxygenic shower head, electric tongue jack, trailer brake and weight distributing hitch. Three sets of mattress covers, sheets and bedding for all the queen beds. Sheesh, I know I am forgetting several other items.

This rig towed absolutely great behind my Chevrolet 1/2 ton truck. It runs 70 MPH down the interstate almost like it's not there. The weight distributing hitch is really overkill. For short trips (1 hour or less) I don't even mess with the torsion bars.

Setup at the first campground was again routine and everything went as expected. We quickly began to realize the advantage to our new TT. The floor space is really fantastic for only a 22ft box. The slide out opened up the floor plan and we saw right away this camper gave up a completely different feel than that of old popup. The cabinets and interior storage is really nice on this model. Even though this was only a weekend getaway, we could tell stocking up on food for a whole week would not be an issue.

One of my concerns was if we would be able to heat this TT with it having three canvass queen pop outs. We purchased a highly rated infrared 1500 watt space heater and ran it the first 40 degree night. We camp with shore power 90 percent of the time, and always prefer to use electric that we already paid for vs. our propane. This heater kept the camper comfy and was very quiet. The second night I ran the LP furnace as this was our shakedown cruise and we wanted to check and use all the systems. The furnace was very quiet and it kicking on and off never woke either of us up thru the eve. It performed perfect with plenty of headroom. I feel it could have handled a much cooler night easily.

The kitchen while small, is thought out and the wife liked having the oven compared to the popup. As chief dishwasher, I really like where Keystone located the outdoor shower on this rig. Having it on the awning side toward the rear makes it great for access to hot and cold water to wash dishes outside.

So you don't feel I am a Passport cheerleader and trying to justify my purchase, let me share with you a few cons.

Now that a person has all of these accessories a guy has to store them. That was my first disappointment. The Passport 217exp is very short on outside storage. The literature and brochures show a pass thru storage compartment at the front but I am telling you they don't make a hybrid model with this. The storage does run the full length of the front end but is only accessible from the inside. This would have been a very easy spot to add two doors and really have what they advertise. The storage in the back is good size but really a pain when the back bunk is down. As a result, I have nowhere to store lawn chairs, front porch carpet or any of the outside dirty stuff. The back storage holds hoses, extension cords and other smaller things but not larger. As a result, these bigger thing have to ride in the truck bed.

Making these beds requires a little more agility. On our popup, you could walk around the outside of the bed by pulling up the canvass and make the bed. Then simply pull the canvass back down and attach the elastic straps. On most hybrid expendables now, the canvass is completely attached and sealed all the way around. So you can't make the bed from outside at all. You have to crawl up on the mattress and tuck in all the sheets and bedding. While not really a con, as my wife likes the feeling of know bugs cant get in around the edges now, we still have to flip a coin to see who makes the beds.

Folding the beds up is really faster and easier than our popup ever was. However, if you end up on an unlevel sight and one of the beds is much higher off the ground this task is more difficult. Take a small stepladder along to help with this task. You will just have to carry it in the truck bed though since there is no place for it in the camper.

I do realize there is no such thing as the perfect TT. My pros completely out weigh the cons on our new hybrid and after three weeks and our first trip we would absolutely make the same decision again.

Let me take this chance to thank Rob Schaffer, a member here who's blog and information helped me do allot of planning and prep for our new expandable!

Happy Camping season 2017 to all!
BricRoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:48 AM   #2
Tbos

Welcome to the forum from Southern MD. Enjoy that new TT. As a word of caution unless you upgraded the tires they are most likely only rated to 65mph. Have fun making new memories.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:21 AM   #3
Hankintu

Nice job on the 217 EXP review. It appears that there are just a few of us owners here. We have had ours for a year now, 2016 model for us. My wife and I find the floor plan to be very comfortable and quite roomy for the size. Another option that we like is the ability to turtle with the fold out couch and the dining table conversion to a bed if needed which then will sleep two quite comfortably for a night or two.
I also have a Chevy 1500 and like you, have no problem pulling it. I did install an electric jack which I have been very happy with. It is still in storage, the plan is to bring her home this weekend.
HAPPY CAMPING!
Old 04-11-2017, 07:23 PM   #4
linux3

I have a 195RB which is just a little lighter. I replaced my TV with a Chevy 1500 just a few weeks a go and have not yet pulled our TT. It's nice to read that the truck should work fine.
And thanks for the report.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:50 AM   #5
BuxCamper

Welcome aboard!

I too come from many years of pop-up and hybrid camping. The first nights in my new Bullet were a little strange as there was no tenting and with the windows closed due to the night chill, no outside night sounds.

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:10 AM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Welcome to the forum from Kansas City, MO! Enjoy your new rig.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:13 AM   #7
Hankintu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuxCamper View Post
Welcome aboard!

The first nights in my new Bullet were a little strange as there was no tenting and with the windows closed due to the night chill, no outside night sounds.
That's what makes camping "camping" to us!
Although we pick parks that are not highly populated which then would be another story. I know a lot of the reason folks don't hybrid is due to the nocturnal audio entertainment. In a quiet environment natures nocturnal sounds and a chill in the air just adds to the experience for us.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:23 AM   #8
Hankintu

I noticed that the new models have gone back to the 2 point flat bar latch for the bunks. The 2016 has the 2 point with a long rod connecting two small arms that clamp down on both sides which provides pressure on the upper corners. I am curious if there were complaints on this and they reverted back or it was cost issue..
Anybody have any information why? Thanks in advance and HAPPY CAMPING!
Old 04-21-2017, 06:41 AM   #9
canesfan

I have no problems hearing nocturnal sounds in my rig. As for the chill, I'm old enough that I can do without that. I look at the tenters around me and shiver just thinking about it.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:54 AM   #10
Carrottop

We have purchased the 217EXP as well and picked it up last weekend. We did several mods as well. which I will list below.

Added Maxxair remote fan replacing manual vent.
Added power tongue jack
Added black tank sprayer
Added Maxxair covers for both vents
Ordered Popup gizmos for all three tents ends to keep warmer/cooler
Ordered 3" memory foam toppers for all three beds
Attached propane splitter from front tank to attach my Roadtrip grill
I have ordered 3 storage large storage bin that fit in the rear exterior storage are that I plan to use for my sewer hoses/water hoses and other items (I will post pics when they arrive)

We have not used our unit yet as our camping season does not start until the 3rd week of May. Until then I tinker with it getting it ready. I am considering going to a cabinet maker and manufacturing a door for the space under the sofa, not sure why this was not done. There is plenty of room to the left of the water heater so I am considering putting in a barrier separating the two sides removing the small recessed panel and installing a door for more interior storage. If I go ahead with this mod I will post pics of the result.
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:43 AM   #11
Carrottop

Storage Boxes

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I ordered some storage boxes that fit perfectly in the rear storage of the 217exp. the dimensions are 11-3/4" x 17-1/2" x 14-5/8" h and the link to the website is https://www.containerstore.com/s/sto...uctId=11002961.

Hope this helps other people with the small storage area. I used one for my sewage hoses one for fresh water hoses and one for misc outdoor items.

I am attaching a pic of the bin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10067984_36qtWeathertightTote_x.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	12612  
Old 05-16-2017, 05:37 PM   #12
Jrod1153

Moisture

I bought my Keystone Passport 217exp in August 2015 (2016 model year). Love it...sort of. Interior cabin space is great, exterior storage sucks. I agree with your entire review. My question for you, have you (or anyone else out there ) ever felt under the mattress in the morning... ours is always wet. Only solution we have come up with is flip up the mattress daily to dry or we have successfully used 2" pink panther styro insulation directly under mattress, both a pain in the a$$. I'm hoping someone from Keystone reads this & has a solution
Jrod1153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:47 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrod1153 View Post
I bought my Keystone Passport 217exp in August 2015 (2016 model year). Love it...sort of. Interior cabin space is great, exterior storage sucks. I agree with your entire review. My question for you, have you (or anyone else out there ) ever felt under the mattress in the morning... ours is always wet. Only solution we have come up with is flip up the mattress daily to dry or we have successfully used 2" pink panther styro insulation directly under mattress, both a pain in the a$$. I'm hoping someone from Keystone reads this & has a solution

This is a Keystone owner's forum. I don't believe anyone from Keystone reads these posts.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:30 AM   #14
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

JRod1153: Welcome to the forum from Kansas City, MO. Glad you're here!
To my knowledge no one from Keystone corporate is a member of this forum. If they are, they are not letting anyone know it! That said, it would be better for you to start a new thread in the proper section with your problem. I am sure that someone will step up and give your help or at least their humble opinion. It hasn't failed yet! Good luck with your issue.

Quote:

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:24 AM   #15
Hankintu

Have not noticed the moisture but will check. Nice tip on the bins. The only feature that I personally do not care for is how noisy the AC is but it is tolerable. I tried jacking the TV to the iRV unit using headphone out and aux in but it refused to work.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:54 AM   #16
Carrottop

I solved the TV antenna sound problem by plugging in a regular headphone jack into the back of the TV headphone output and into the AUX in on the stereo, works like a charm I would check your cable and try again and (ensure your stereo is on Aux, I know this is obvious but sometimes we miss the obvious)
Old 05-18-2017, 06:01 AM   #17
Carrottop

I purchased a 4' x 50' roll of Reflectix and cut out window shaped reflectors for the bunk ends to keep the heat or cold out. We then cut out a sheet 44.5" x 80" for under the bunk and pop-up Gizmos for the top on the outside. While I have not used my camper yet as our season starts this weekend. I did crank the heat over night on a cold night with everything extended and checked for moisture in the morning and found none. I will report back on how all these items perform under live conditions this weekend. Hope this helps.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:44 AM   #18
BricRoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankintu View Post
I noticed that the new models have gone back to the 2 point flat bar latch for the bunks. The 2016 has the 2 point with a long rod connecting two small arms that clamp down on both sides which provides pressure on the upper corners. I am curious if there were complaints on this and they reverted back or it was cost issue..
Anybody have any information why? Thanks in advance and HAPPY CAMPING!
I noticed the same thing. I was told by the factory rep that it was a supply issue. They couldn't get the new ones so they used the old style to keep the line running.

Since then I have had trouble with one of mine (New Style) pulling loose. They sure don't look very sturdy. The metal pins are just pressed into plastic it appears, and mine pulled out. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come
Old 05-30-2017, 09:50 AM   #19
BricRoth

Quote:
We have had the moisture issue you are talking about. Our PopUp Gizzmos fixed any condensation problem but the moisture under the mattress is different. It only appears on the mattresses that are slept in on cool or high humidity nights. Most of the moisture on our is right at the hinges of the bunk. It has a canvass cover from the factory and on a few occasions we have noticed dampness there. A friend of ours has gone to inexpensive yoga mats from Walmart for a bit more insulation and we are planning on trying this soon. Please let me know if you come up with a solution as well.

Bric
Old 05-30-2017, 10:06 AM   #20
Carrottop

Hi Bric Roth,

I did notice the same thing we had zero condensation on the bunk ends but we did have some under the mattress. We are using a sheet of reflectix under the mattress and the condensation appeared on the reflectix below the mattress. We simply lifted the mattress for an hour and it dried everything out. Funny though it only happened on the bunk with my wife and I, my daughters bunks were dry underneath.

Tags
passport, keystone