Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2017, 09:51 PM   #1
Texbahrs

Moved over from the Forest River Forum

We just purchased a 2017 Alpine 3401RS during the Houston RV show. It is our first 5th wheel. We moved up from a Rockwood Windjammer TT. Loved the Windjammer but need/want more room for our growing grandsons and our 2 large dogs. Our TV is a 2015 Chevy Silverado 4X4 with turbo diesel. I calculate it is just right for the new RV.

I was an active member of the Forest River forum and am looking forward to this one.
Texbahrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:11 PM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

to The Forum From Western PA

Congrats on your new Alpine 3401RS!! Enjoy

Is your TV a 2500 or 3500 ?

Be Safe and Happy Camping
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:17 PM   #3
Texbahrs

our TV is a 2500.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:32 PM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Sticker in driver side door will give you the payload you will be working with. Keep in mind people, fuel. hitch, other truck contents, etc will reduce that max payload number. I am assuming you are going to use that truck and going to look for a trailer combination that you can feel safe with.

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 02-21-2017, 02:18 AM   #5
14george

Welcome to the fourm
Old 02-21-2017, 09:01 AM   #6
Texbahrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Sticker in driver side door will give you the payload you will be working with. Keep in mind people, fuel. hitch, other truck contents, etc will reduce that max payload number. I am assuming you are going to use that truck and going to look for a trailer combination that you can feel safe with.
Thank you for your comments. It appears I fell into the "towing capacity" vs "cargo capacity" trap. When talking to the salesman about whether my truck could handle the FW we determined that it could because its towing capacity is 17,100 lbs and the fully loaded FW is approx. 14,000 lbs. Neither of us took into account that the FW hitch is 2410 lbs and the max cargo capacity of my truck is 2289 lbs.

The dealership's sales manager just called and he said there might be a work around (other than buying a new TV) by adding air bags or somehow strengthening the truck's suspension.

Will something like this work? I am prepared to walk away from the deal and possibly lose my $1,000 deposit. The bottom line is I won't risk my family's safety.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:16 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texbahrs View Post
Thank you for your comments. It appears I fell into the "towing capacity" vs "cargo capacity" trap. When talking to the salesman about whether my truck could handle the FW we determined that it could because its towing capacity is 17,100 lbs and the fully loaded FW is approx. 14,000 lbs. Neither of us took into account that the FW hitch is 2410 lbs and the max cargo capacity of my truck is 2289 lbs.

The dealership's sales manager just called and he said there might be a work around (other than buying a new TV) by adding air bags or somehow strengthening the truck's suspension.

Will something like this work? I am prepared to walk away from the deal and possibly lose my $1,000 deposit. The bottom line is I won't risk my family's safety.
The pin weight is 2410 dry. It will be around 3000 when loaded (then you have to add people, cargo, hitch etc.). The Alpine is a big, heavy trailer and definitely at least 1 ton territory (or dually) The spec on the gvw per the website is 15,000lbs. The salesmen will typically tell you that you can pull anything they have with whatever you have unfortunately. In this case he did you a disservice and sold you a trailer that is definitely larger than what you should put behind your truck.

As far as air bags etc.; they don't increase your payload rating/gvw/gawr etc. They help with sag or may improve the ride but nothing is going to increase what the sticker on the door says.

I wouldn't for one second let them try to keep the deposit. They knowingly misrepresented the facts and took advantage of you.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:16 AM   #8
CWtheMan

Quote:

You know that anything you add to the truck subtracts from its cargo capacity. I just don't think you will find a way to stay within the safety limits with a trailer having such a high hitch weight. Only the truck's manufacturer or a certified vehicle modifier have the authority to increase its certified GVWR.

Welcome to the forum!
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:28 AM   #9
66joej

Welcome to the forum from Radium Hot Springs BC.
I would think your $1000 deposit would hinge on the salesman's word that you could safely tow the 5er. This includes cargo weight of the kingpin. You should get your deposit back. Adding air bags doesn't increase cargo weight. JMO

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:02 AM   #10
davemoore

Another FR transplant!

I'm in the same boat! I am moving on from a FR Shamrock 21RS to a Keystone Laredo 284BHS! And ditto, I loved reading and being a part of the FR forums and look forward to my new home over here on Keystone!

Quote:
We just purchased a 2017 Alpine 3401RS during the Houston RV show. It is our first 5th wheel. We moved up from a Rockwood Windjammer TT. Loved the Windjammer but need/want more room for our growing grandsons and our 2 large dogs. Our TV is a 2015 Chevy Silverado 4X4 with turbo diesel. I calculate it is just right for the new RV.

I was an active member of the Forest River forum and am looking forward to this one.
davemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:09 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemoore View Post
I'm in the same boat! I am moving on from a FR Shamrock 21RS to a Keystone Laredo 284BHS! And ditto, I loved reading and being a part of the FR forums and look forward to my new home over here on Keystone!
Welcome to the group and congrats on the new Keystone!
Old 02-21-2017, 10:57 AM   #12
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
You know that anything you add to the truck subtracts from its cargo capacity. I just don't think you will find a way to stay within the safety limits with a trailer having such a high hitch weight. Only the truck's manufacturer or a certified vehicle modifier have the authority to increase its certified GVWR.

Welcome to the forum!
X 2. Sometimes while loading up you just don't realize just how much you're packing in the truck and trailer.
Here in BC our roadside checks spring up in the strangest places which isn't fun! The weight police have portable weigh scales which actually look like bathroom scales. They check your door stickers, place 4 scales in front of your wheels and you pull ahead and weigh your trailer.
I've had this done on 3 different occasions and each time I was sweating but I always past luckily. I've seen many units being towed away and that sure would ruin a vacation.
Welcome to the forum from Langley BC
Old 02-21-2017, 12:07 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
X 2. Sometimes while loading up you just don't realize just how much you're packing in the truck and trailer.
Here in BC our roadside checks spring up in the strangest places which isn't fun! The weight police have portable weigh scales which actually look like bathroom scales. They check your door stickers, place 4 scales in front of your wheels and you pull ahead and weigh your trailer.
I've had this done on 3 different occasions and each time I was sweating but I always past luckily. I've seen many units being towed away and that sure would ruin a vacation.
Welcome to the forum from Langley BC
I think we are going to see this in the states far more than we do now. I've seen it happen once in NM if I recall. The person had to leave the RV on the roadside where they were stopped.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:17 PM   #14
bagged123

Quote:

You're going to need a bigger truck (3500) or a smaller 5'er. based on what you have here, you're over the payload before hooking up. Adding bags won't help, adding a 3500 spring pack may, but I'd upgrade to a bigger truck if you could do it.
bagged123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:47 PM   #15
m&m

Welcome.
Moved over from FROG last year. had to buy F350 DW for our avalanche365MB.
The quality is far greater and its tows great with the 350.
m&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:22 PM   #16
capnttom

I bought the same model at the Houston show! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
capnttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:16 PM   #17
Tbos

Welcome to the forum from Southern MD. If you love the Alpine start looking for a good deal on a new DRW TV. I understand Texas is full of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:33 PM   #18
Texbahrs

In the end, I decided to cancel the sale for the Alpine FW. I'm not in the position to purchase a new truck and I don't want to compromise our safety by pulling a too heavy RV. Fortunately, I had only put down a deposit and hadn't finalized the sale. Later, we went to the dealership and was able to find a TT that we liked. We could have gotten a smaller FW but didn't want to give up a lot of the features the Alpine has and the and that the new TT also has. Was able to transfer our deposit to it so no money lost, just a little pride that I didn't do all my homework the first time.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:10 PM   #19
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Thumbs up

Good decision, Safety First.

Enjoy your new TT

Be Safe and Happy Camping

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 02-22-2017, 05:16 PM   #20
Tbos

Glad you found another Rig that fits your Needs and your TV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote