Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2017, 06:56 PM   #1
Fred-Home Depot

Buying new RV, concerned about Keystone quality

Wanting to buy an RV that my v8 Explorer can pull. 7300 lb limit, want to stay well under but with RV that is open and spacious.
Keystone's Premier Bullet 24RKPR seems ideal. My Explorer is relatively short and this is a 25 foot box (29 ft overall) weighing 5450 lbs empty and probably low 6000 lbs on the road.
Am seeing horrendous quality complaints about Keystone and Premier but frankly am seeing horrendous complaints about Heartland and Forest River as well. A dealer said they handle Passport but had to drop Premier because of customer complaints and quality problems.
I'll be driving too far, in order to get a great price, and will never be back to the selling dealer and I'm concerned our local high priced dealer won't be inclined to help if I have problems. I would buy an extended warranty, any way.
I'm also concerned about sway, due to my tow vehicle.
I've looked at a Passport 2520 RL, very nice and light, but giving up a lot of spaciousness, and still Keystone. The RVT blogs just kill Keystone.
Would appreciate insight into the quality concerns, and about pulling 6100 plus lbs out west with an Explorer. Good power but short.
Thanks.
Fred-Home Depot
Fred-Home Depot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:06 PM   #2
theeyres

You have so many questions in there that you may need to break it up into several threads. As for quality I really believe quality is pretty much equal between all the brands based generally on price. Most all of them, including the Bullet are going to be problem free once the break in period is over. On the forums you always hear about the problems but remember you are hearing about 10 people having issues compared to 10,000 of the rigs they are complaining about that have been sold.

But if you don't buy locally you may well have problems getting speedy service. Unlike the auto industry no dealer is obligated to work on your trailer under warranty so you may get shoved to the end of the line.

That is a pretty big trailer for your Explorer. 5450 empty...my guess is that you will be closer to 7000 or even 7500 when loaded with the extras, people, gear, propane, water, etc. The Explorer is only on the unitized frame that it shares with the Taurus, not the full sized pickup frame. I don't think you will be happy with it.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:29 PM   #3
66joej

Not to rain on your parade I had a 2006 Explorer with a tow rating of 6K.
Towed a 3000# EVO TT and it was an experience. Equalizer hitch and still was a handful. Explorer was 4.6 engine, 18" factory wheels and what was factory trailering package. Not recommended. JMHO

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:35 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Good advice above. You won't be satisfied and probably won't be safe towing that trailer with the Explorer you've got.

Additionally, I'd suggest you think through the extended warranty. If you're buying it to "augment or replace" the factory warranty (that you won't be able to get service for because of where you buy the RV) think again. While I've not seen "EVERY" extended warranty, the ones that I have seen (down in the fine print) exclude all factory warranty defects. All that I've seen only cover a limited number of items against failure, but ONLY after the OEM warranty expires. So it will be virtually useless for the purpose you describe.

The Passport line is as good as most, better than some and not as good as others. That said, any (and every) manufacturer produces units down an assembly line. Occasionally one will be assembled that simply never works correctly without significant dealer/factory warranty work and right behind it may well be an identical unit that never sees the inside of a dealer service bay.

So, you'll probably find that buying locally will give you a place for service (if you need it) and buying at a distant dealer may save you some money, but at what expense???? Only you can make that decision.

Good Luck !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:34 PM   #5
Fred-Home Depot

I've arranged to test tow a 6100 lb Mallard after putting gear on my Explorer. My biggest concern is stability. I towed 5000 lbs of show car all over the south and hardly knew it was there. Large box different matter altogether.
Money difference about 1/3, about $10,000! Price vs value.
Thanks, guys.
Fred-Home Depot
Fred-Home Depot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:10 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Explorer? What explorer? What year? You did say V8. I bought dozens of Ford vehicles (cars/trucks) but would never buy their SUVs because they just couldn't cut the mustard. The trailer you mention is 7500 gvw; you will be there when loaded. The hitch weight will be in the region of 900lbs when loaded. Your Explorer just can't handle that load...period.

You are in the position of so many; got a vehicle but want a " way big playtoy to tow" and try to rationalize a way to do it. You can't. Having owned one, for a very short time, I wouldn't put a medium sized utility trailer behind one. Not being ugly, JMHO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:22 AM   #7
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

You know he's going to try it. We've all been there, done that, upgraded to the right tool for the job....until the purchase bug bites again. The advice given here is spot on and not trying spoil your fun. Enjoy, but keep all of this in mind. It is important. Good luck.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:04 PM   #8
dcg9381

"I'm concerned our local high priced dealer won't be inclined to help if I have problems."

You should be concerned, IMHO. Keystone's official policy requires all dealers to service their units, but I've found that warranty work is usually back of the line work (it doesn't pay as well) when you've bought the unit there. I've called non-purchase dealers when on the road and was given a wait time in terms of 3-6 months... Technically, that's not a refusal to service, but it's simply not practical...

I don't think that Keystone quality (on any of their models) is any worse than FR or Heartland. We've got a moderator around here who can tell you which of those brands is best about warranty repairs.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:16 PM   #9
notanlines

"I'm concerned our local high priced dealer won't be inclined to help if I have problems." I am not buying into the idea that you are saving $10k on a $30k unit that can't be matched or close to it with a friendly seller. Between Chip and all the way to Darrell I agree with everything that was said. You are simply wanting more unit than the typical SUV can haul, Ford, GMC and Dodge.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:55 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Buying new RV, concerned about Keystone quality

Can you provide a link that "requires all dealers to service their units"?

Unlike the auto industry, any RV dealer can choose which brands/models to sell with the only limitation being geographic location. A dealer must be X miles away from another dealer that sells the same thing. Nothing says a dealer has to "service what they sell".

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:03 PM   #11
dcg9381

Chuckster, I don't have a link. I assume that one of the conditions of selling the production line is providing warranty service. I was told (dealer, not Keystone) that Keystone products can be serviced at any dealer and the warranty is nationwide. I've found that to be less than the case, but I've never had a dealer actually decline warranty work, just make it very impossible in terms of timeline... And in truth, that's only 2 other other dealers.

From Keystones's warranty info:
"Keystone RV Company recommends obtaining all service from your selling dealer. While in transit, an authorized Keystone Service Center can assist with any “Emergency” service needed (issues affecting use, value or safety). Should you encounter an Emergency while traveling and need to locate an Authorized Keystone Service Center, a dealer locator can be found at www.keystonerv.com or contact Keystone Customer Service Monday - Thursday 8-5, Friday 8-3 Eastern Time at 1-866-425-4369. "
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:11 PM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

There is a Keystone dealer near my home that will sell you a Keystone trailer but will not service it, including warranty work. They routinely bring the unit to the dealership I work at over 50 miles away.

Funny thing (or not so funny), my boss (service mgr) and I were discussing this and how prevalent it is in the RV industry.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:23 PM   #13
Javi

I didn't buy my Keystone because of the warranty; I bought my Keystone despite their warranty... I knew that short of a wall falling off as I left the dealer's yard that I would be on my own or at best at the mercy of my dealer... So I never considered Keystone in the equation... Things like the frame, running gear, appliances, furniture, roof, and slides are all under their specific manufacturer warranty... Keystone at best will supply condolences to the purchaser for their loss...

Didn't keep me from buying one...
Old 02-17-2017, 04:30 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

I don't know about a written requirement between Keystone and the dealer, but, when I buy an RV the warranty/future repair issues and my expectations are discussed extensively with the dealership management. Failure to follow through on those commitments made directly to me are much different than commitments assumed by a buyer. I would suggest those conversations be held by any prospective buyer.....and document. I use an email trail for many things. I would hope that a selling dealer would service what he sold; if he didn't he's not worthy of selling the product IMO and should not be able to sell anything.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:03 PM   #15
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

The level of support if you call Keystone and complain about a certain dealer not wanting to service a warranty issue would be to provide you with the name of another authorized dealer in your area. They are not going to force a dealer to work on your rig, In regard to these dealers, my guess is their work priority is 1. rolling out recently sold units, 2.non warranty work, 3. warranty work (original and extended). I think the 2-3 month backlogs to get service that we are hearing are becoming the norm and are being driven by new sales. these dealers from what I have heard are selling over a hundred units a month and many have say 5- 6 bays maybe a few that will handle big 5th wheels. I feel that these waiting periods are going to get longer.

Our Rv community is growing , campsite prices increasing, Hey, to play you have to pay
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:03 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
The level of support if you call Keystone and complain about a certain dealer not wanting to service a warranty issue would be to provide you with the name of another authorized dealer in your area. They are not going to force a dealer to work on your rig, In regard to these dealers, my guess is their work priority is 1. rolling out recently sold units, 2.non warranty work, 3. warranty work (original and extended). I think the 2-3 month backlogs to get service that we are hearing are becoming the norm and are being driven by new sales. these dealers from what I have heard are selling over a hundred units a month and many have say 5- 6 bays maybe a few that will handle big 5th wheels. I feel that these waiting periods are going to get longer.

Our Rv community is growing , campsite prices increasing, Hey, to play you have to pay

Refer to my post above. I have zero problems getting my RV in for service simply because I've dealt with them from the top down. When I had my last 2 issues I was offered to bring it in that day....or any day convenient. They got it out in one or two days. You've got to be "involved", establish relationships and carry some weight.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:17 PM   #17
Ken / Claudia

Our explorer was a 1998, 5.0 AWD. Owned from 1990 to 20016. It pulled the 1500lb boat fine. I tried the 3800lb boat and was at 35mph uphill even on the short hills in the 55mph zone. Not much on power at all. Yours might be different.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:44 AM   #18
CaptnJohn

CW in Myrtle gets new sales out 1st. Never had or heard of warranty on their sales being far back on the list. Only once was I delayed because hurricane Matthew put them far behind. Even then, they asked IF I could wait. bought my last 2 there and the next one will come from there as well.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:09 AM   #19
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I didn't buy my Keystone because of the warranty; I bought my Keystone despite their warranty... I knew that short of a wall falling off as I left the dealer's yard that I would be on my own or at best at the mercy of my dealer... So I never considered Keystone in the equation... Things like the frame, running gear, appliances, furniture, roof, and slides are all under their specific manufacturer warranty... Keystone at best will supply condolences to the purchaser for their loss...

Didn't keep me from buying one...
That has to be one of the funniest things I've ever read on here. Sadly and unfortunately, it's true.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:25 AM   #20
canesfan

A LOT of it depends on the dealer. I bought mine 4 hours away, knowing the whole service thing up front. I knew where I wanted to buy it. I've never had problems getting warranty or non warranty work, to date. I go past them twice a year and when I need something taken care of, down to getting an inspection sticker put on, I call them a few weeks out, tell them when I'm going to be by them and what I need and ask if I can stop in. So far they've been very receptive to my needs. They even have gone so far as to clear out a bay when I get there. I have a working relationship with their shop guys who know me when I walk in the door. This is the first rig I've bought from them, but if nothing changes I will continue to buy from them. I did a LOT of research before I bought there, including spending many, many hours over a couple of years walking their lot and looking at rigs, talking to their people, etc. When I was ready to buy they didn't have one in stock and I wanted to see it in person first. I had it all priced out with them. We found a dealer 2 hours the opposite direction from me that had one. I drove up there to look at it, got surrounded by 2 sales people who would not leave me and my daughter alone for a second, had to "meet" the sales manager, on and on and on. I like to "look" at what I'm going to buy, sit in it, walk around it, open doors and compartments, look up and down, and sit in it some more. Try doing that with 2 sales people breathing down your neck and trying to show you all the "nifty" little stuff you could care less about. Anyway, long story short, I came home, happy to be free of the place, and called the other dealer the next day and ordered it. I'm heading over there again in about a month and I'm getting ready to call them to stop in and have a few things looked at and/or fixed. I expect no different treatment this time around than the others. A GOOD dealer makes all the difference in the world. One word of note, I do this in the early Spring and late Fall. I wouldn't consider asking them to just "stop in" in their peak selling season unless it was a major emergency.

Tags
keystone, quality