Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2016, 02:11 PM   #1
77vetter

Winterize Question About City Water Connection

I winterized the fifth wheel today and got the water system drained and primed with anti-freeze ok. I then turned off the water pump, turned on the cold water to relieve pressure and went out to hand pump some anti-freeze into the city water connection.

I tried pumping several times but I could not get it to take. its like it was plugged or something. I pumped it a couple of time to get it primed and then it was so much pressure that the plastic hose popped off the brass connector at the city water connection.

I tried the same scenario at the black water inlet and it worked fine. What did I do wrong?
77vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 03:22 PM   #2
77vetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77vetter View Post
I winterized the fifth wheel today and got the water system drained and primed with anti-freeze ok. I then turned off the water pump, turned on the cold water to relieve pressure and went out to hand pump some anti-freeze into the city water connection.

I tried pumping several times but I could not get it to take. its like it was plugged or something. I pumped it a couple of time to get it primed and then it was so much pressure that the plastic hose popped off the brass connector at the city water connection.

I tried the same scenario at the black water inlet and it worked fine. What did I do wrong?
I found out what I did wrong, I need to have a faucet open in the camper and then it will flow, sorry for a stupid question
77vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 03:27 PM   #3
Desert185

I don't use antifreeze. I blow out the system with air.

Just a reminder...don't forget the toilet flush valve, outside shower or any washer hookups...and drain the water heater, too.

Good luck.🍀
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:05 PM   #4
GaryWT

If you did not blow out you lines before you added the antifreeze be sure you pump the antifreeze through the city water line until water comes out of the faucet otherwise you will have some water trapped in the line.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:24 AM   #5
gkainz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
I don't use antifreeze. I blow out the system with air.

Just a reminder...don't forget the toilet flush valve, outside shower or any washer hookups...and drain the water heater, too.

Good luck.🍀
and the black tank flush line ...
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:46 PM   #6
Bowti

What I do, which is in many videos, is to push a pencil like object into the water supply inlet to release the check valve while your pump is running. Do this until anti-freeze comes out just like you do for your faucets. Also don't forget your black tank cleaning spray line.

2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier
Bowti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:53 PM   #7
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
and the black tank flush line ...
Yes!

I also run the water pump for about 20 seconds with a faucet open and the line pressurized with air. Clears a bit more water out of it.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:16 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowti View Post
What I do, which is in many videos, is to push a pencil like object into the water supply inlet to release the check valve while your pump is running. Do this until anti-freeze comes out just like you do for your faucets. Also don't forget your black tank cleaning spray line.
That is one way to purge water from the line, but be careful not to dislodge the O-ring in the valve seat. If you do, it's buy another city water inlet as there's no way to replace the O-ring and without it the valve will "blow water" out the side of your RV when you turn on the water pump.

If you think about it, using air to push water out of the system as the first step in winterizing will eliminate almost all of the water in that part of the line. Then, once you hook up the antifreeze line and turn on the water pump, the pressure will "backfill" that part of the line with antifreeze and protect it from winter's temps.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:57 PM   #9
Don N.

Re: Winterize Question About City Water Connection

What type of hand pump did you use and where did you get it?
2013 GMC 2500HD w/ B&W turnover gooseneck hitch and Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel gooseneck mount
Airlift airbags

Don N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:07 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's one RV Antifreeze Hand Pump: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-36003-H...eeze+hand+pump
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antifreeze hand pump.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	11256  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:42 AM   #11
Bowti

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Here's one RV Antifreeze Hand Pump: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-36003-H...eeze+hand+pump
This is the same one that I use. It works perfectly as described.

I like to just use the anti-freeze flushing method over the air method as I don't have to have the expense of compressor, hose, and correct fittings,

I also don't have to worry about supplying to much air pressure and damaging an inaccessible line. There is also the problem that if all the moisture is not out, it may settle in a low area and cause problems. I like the idea of having anti-freeze in the system to prevent any leftover water from freezing.

With anti-freeze I can also winterize any place at any time by just having a couple of gallons and the hand pump with me as I travel.

Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
Old 10-05-2016, 11:54 AM   #12
mdrucker

once you have the pink stuff coming out the outside shower cant you conect that hose to the city water?
mdrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:37 PM   #13
Bowti

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrucker View Post
once you have the pink stuff coming out the outside shower cant you conect that hose to the city water?
I would say no, that line is under pressure. All you have to do, like previously mentioned, is to use a pencil like devise to stick in the city water supply fitting far enough to release the check valve.

Release the valve until anti-freeze comes out instead of water and the line is now protected. Like John said you do have to be careful not to mess up the check valve when doing this, but it is not that difficult to do once you have done it. By the way, stand out of the way when doing this or you will get wet.

Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
Old 10-05-2016, 02:29 PM   #14
mdrucker

Quote:
I would say no, that line is under pressure. All you have to do, like previously mentioned, is to use a pencil like devise to stick in the city water supply fitting far enough to release the check valve.

Release the valve until anti-freeze comes out instead of water and the line is now protected. Like John said you do have to be careful not to mess up the check valve when doing this, but it is not that difficult to do once you have done it. By the way, stand out of the way when doing this or you will get wet.
will that method work with the new models that share the city water and tank fill?
Old 10-05-2016, 03:46 PM   #15
Bowti

Sorry, I know not of what you speak. I guess I have to get out more.

Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
Old 10-05-2016, 06:23 PM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrucker View Post
will that method work with the new models that share the city water and tank fill?

I don't winterize since it doesn't get that cold here, but I know what valve your talking about. It flips 90 degrees to send incoming water to either the fresh tank or inside to the fixtures. I would guess if you set it to city water, then its "in line" with the faucets and such.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:50 AM   #17
mdrucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I don't winterize since it doesn't get that cold here, but I know what valve your talking about. It flips 90 degrees to send incoming water to either the fresh tank or inside to the fixtures. I would guess if you set it to city water, then its "in line" with the faucets and such.
I have been
winterizing for 10 years with 5 different units with out problems but this is the first rv that has this valve, if it does not have the check valve I will just pump the antifreeze in to it with a pump also will do that with black tank flush.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:42 AM   #18
Desert185

Quote:
This is the same one that I use. It works perfectly as described.

I like to just use the anti-freeze flushing method over the air method as I don't have to have the expense of compressor, hose, and correct fittings,

I also don't have to worry about supplying to much air pressure and damaging an inaccessible line. There is also the problem that if all the moisture is not out, it may settle in a low area and cause problems. I like the idea of having anti-freeze in the system to prevent any leftover water from freezing.

With anti-freeze I can also winterize any place at any time by just having a couple of gallons and the hand pump with me as I travel.
I carry a pancake compressor and a 2K gen with me all the time, so winterizing without antifreeze takes about 15-30 minutes...and speaking of expenses, all the anti freeze I need is only enough for the p-traps.

Got stuck a little too far north in Texas at a friend's one winter trip and had to winterize on the spot. Finally found a gallon of anti freeze for $7. No issues, but I did leave the fireplace on low overnight with the cupboard doors open. Gotta run the pump a bit to purge more water and then blow more for insurance. I suppose I would use the juice if it got much colder than where I live, but blowing out the system has been sufficient.

I adapted an air fitting to screw into the city water connection, so the process is pretty straight forward.