Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2016, 05:30 AM   #1
mdrucker

water pump winterize valve

We have a 2016 cougar x-lite 28 sgs do they come with the weatherization kit on the water pump? we will be using the rig the last week in October with night time lows of 25-32 degrees, I would love to winterize before we levee the park.
mdrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:35 AM   #2
cant_remember_ID

Mine doesn't have one yet, I plan on adding one this fall. Last year I used the compressor to blow the lines out and I didn't have any problems. But I feel more secure with the antifreeze in the lines. There are a couple posts around showing how they added the bypass valve for the antifreeze.
cant_remember_ID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:25 AM   #3
buzzcop63

RV Antifreeze method, Winterize

1. Drain all tanks, fresh water, sewage and gray tanks.

2. Drain all low points.

3. Drain water heater. Check anode for condition. Open relief valve to let water flow faster.

4. Close the drains after all water has run out.

5. Turn water heater by-pass valve to the by-pass position. The by-pass valve is located behind the water heater, remove wood panel under kitchen sink and turn the valve to vertical position.

6. Install by-pass hose on the suction side of the water pump, toward kitchen, and pump directly from the anti-freeze container. Let run until pink comes out each outlet.

7. Turn on pump switch and open each one of the cold water faucet fixtures, including shower inside and out, same as above.

8. Do the same for the hot side of each faucet fixture, including shower inside and out.

9. Flush toilet until anti-freeze begins to flow into the bowl. And then pour one quart of anti-freeze down the toilet to winterize the Black tank. Spray silicon on the valve and work it a couple of times then leave a small amount of antifreeze in the toilet to cover the seals.

10. Pour about one quart of anti-freeze down each shower, lavatory and sink drains, and kitchen sink to fill p-traps.

11. Use about 3 gallons of RV approved, non-toxic, antifreeze

12. Pump antifreeze into the Black tank flush system inlet with hand pump.

13. Also pump into the city water connection some antifreeze; open one faucet to allow flow.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:06 AM   #4
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrucker View Post
We have a 2016 cougar x-lite 28 sgs do they come with the weatherization kit on the water pump? we will be using the rig the last week in October with night time lows of 25-32 degrees, I would love to winterize before we levee the park.
What brand water pump do you have?

Note that some Flojet water pumps found in some Keystone units come with quick-connect plug-in ports that allows you to disconnect your fresh water hose at the pump inlet and connect another fitting attached to a hose to your antifreeze bottle without using any tools or need for a valve kit.

The pump would look like this: http://www.costco.ca/Flojet-12-V-Aut...100108002.html Note the blue tabs that slide to unlock/lock the fittings.

Here is a selection of quick-connect fittings with a barb end to fit a hose: http://www.marinepartssource.com/pro...nnect+Fittings
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:36 PM   #5
mdrucker

I have a flojet 3526 with quick connects
Old 09-28-2016, 01:40 PM   #6
mdrucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
What brand water pump do you have?

Note that some Flojet water pumps found in some Keystone units come with quick-connect plug-in ports that allows you to disconnect your fresh water hose at the pump inlet and connect another fitting attached to a hose to your antifreeze bottle without using any tools or need for a valve kit.

The pump would look like this: http://www.costco.ca/Flojet-12-V-Aut...100108002.html Note the blue tabs that slide to unlock/lock the fittings.

Here is a selection of quick-connect fittings with a barb end to fit a hose: http://www.marinepartssource.com/pro...nnect+Fittings
I was thinking I could purchase one quick connect fitting add hose to it and connect to input side of pump to winterize.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:42 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I have a flojet 3526 with quick connects
As slow indicated, I have a 3' section of clear plastic tubing and an elbow connector. All I do is unlock the fresh water tank connector at the pump, install the elbow and put the clear plastic tubing into a gallon jug of antifreeze and turn on the pump. You don't need to buy any "valves or winterization kits" just that one connector and an appropriate length of tubing.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:30 PM   #8
slow

Quote:
I was thinking I could purchase one quick connect fitting add hose to it and connect to input side of pump to winterize.

That will do it. Quick and no fuss to install a valve that may leak.

Before unhooking the inlet hose from the pump, empty the fresh water tank and then run the pump for 30 seconds. That way there is no water to leak out when you disconnect the inlet hose from the pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:08 AM   #9
DAN d

my 2016 cougar does not have by pass will add myself camping world gave wrong type by pass kit will go to lowes get my goddies there
DAN d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:19 AM   #10
Bowti

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
As slow indicated, I have a 3' section of clear plastic tubing and an elbow connector. All I do is unlock the fresh water tank connector at the pump, install the elbow and put the clear plastic tubing into a gallon jug of antifreeze and turn on the pump. You don't need to buy any "valves or winterization kits" just that one connector and an appropriate length of tubing.
Same set up and process I use, works perfect on my 28SGS.

2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier
Bowti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:30 AM   #11
mdrucker

Thanks for the reply's, going to buy fitting today.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:07 AM   #12
Don N.

Our FW came with a very short pre-connected hose to the water pump for winterization. It was hidden behind a small access port in one of the lower storage bay areas. Had to buy a length of clear plastic hose and a connecter to make it long to be useable. Don't understand why keystone installed such a short useless pre-connected hose for winterization. Just another lackluster design in our FW...:
2013 GMC 2500HD w/ B&W turnover gooseneck hitch and Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel gooseneck mount
Airlift airbags

Don N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:45 AM   #13
theasphaltrv'er

You guys should see the setup our 14' 26sab has. The pump sets in a little 6x6x11 cabinet just inside the wall of the docking station (electrical comes in just above the pump in it's 6x6x11 cubbie hole). There is a cobweb of hoses inside the cabinet that makes it all but impossible to get to the pump without pulling the docking station out from the wall or dismantling the cabinet.....Morons!!!
There's no winterization valve much less a hose coming from the pump to stick in a jug. There is a valve to switch for use of city water or to fill the tank....no gravity fill.
I called Keystone right after we got it and they had no clue how to winterize it. Their answer was.. "winterize just like you would any other trailer. Yeah right. So had to figure it on my own. So to get it winterized I bought a similar pump as used inside and I pump antifreeze in thru the city water hookup to run thru the system and pump some in the FW tank and turn on the inside pump & pump some thru to winterize the inside pump then drain the FW tank. In the spring I sanitize the FW tank good to make sure if there is a taste of antifreeze, it is gone out of the tank.
Life is fantastic & gettin
better every day
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote