Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2016, 04:52 PM   #1
brittsnbirds

Sprinter wide body 269 bad steps!!

We have a 2014 Sprinter 5th wheel that we have used a little. I noticed the last time that we were out that the steps were very bouncy. Further inspection revealed that the bracket to which the steps are bolted was cracked near the body bolt. Looking at the other side (opposite) I found that that bracket was cracked at the bolt as well.

I was able to install more metal support to keep the brackets from breaking any further. I fabricated some metal bracing that made the stairs very stable and will not allow the bouncy feeling.

Those of you that have bouncy stairs be ware that the design of the brackets is very light and will not handle people that weigh in the 200# category!!
brittsnbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:01 AM   #2
Campy

Most of the "stock" steps on campers are bouncy and some more than others. The 3-step unit on my Cougar flexes more than I wish it did but everything is still solid and no cracks. I have been eyeing the new step system that pulls out and actually rests on the ground for support, little pricy but way more secure. The steps on my cousins Rockwood broke a rivet out last year and his wife almost broke her leg when they gave way.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:42 PM   #3
Tbos

I've seen people put a support under the bottom step. Depending on where you are it might be just a little support or it might be pretty big.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:32 PM   #4
eds451

Yep, I too had bouncy steps on my 07 Cougar. Same failure, cracked bracket welds. Added HD (heavy duty, but also from Home Depot) L brackets and step supports that put all the weight (yours) on the ground, not the steps.
Attached Images

Central Calif.
2010 Dodge 2500HD, 5.7 hemi
2007 Cougar 244rls
eds451 is offline   Reply With Quote