Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2016, 01:27 PM   #1
Harreec

Tonneau cover and 5th wheel

Just purchased our first 5th wheel, Cougar 28SGS, New TV... Ford F-250 and today had a Reese 16k hitch installed.
Now for a Tonneau cover, any recomendations? Thinking Bakflip G2, will it work with the 5th wheel hooked up or would I have to remove it? What about a hard cover roll up?
Thanks in advance.
Harry
Harreec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:16 PM   #2
Cbrez

I bought the Extang Solid Fold about two years ago and love it even though it has a couple of drawbacks for me. It is not completely water tight and will let some water through the joints. I have a short box and have to remove the tonneau when I hook up the 5er. A camping buddy has a long box with the Solid Fold and he has sufficient clearance to travel with the tonneau stored in the folded position. The top is very quick and easy to remove and install, so while it is a bit of a nusence, I really like its solid construction. This is probably a show stopper for most.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:35 PM   #3
bsmith0404

I personally like the soft roll ups. There are several good ones, my last was a truxport from truxedo and it worked well.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:58 PM   #4
bitten

Long bed Trifecta
bitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:42 PM   #5
gearhead

I put the Access original on the new Ram and am happy with it. I had a roll up aluminum on the previous Ford and was happy with that. I just didn't want to pay big bucks for one on the Ram.

http://www.accesscover.com/original/
I will say I was not happy with the bed hold down clamps on the Access. Just about when you think they need another turn to be tight, they fall off. I drilled the bed and used 10-22? screws and nylock nuts.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:42 PM   #6
Desert185

Trifecta. No leaks.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:12 PM   #7
mtofell

Love my roll-up Truxedo. Rolls up in less than 30 seconds and covers my 5th hitch completely. The security isn't great in that it could be razor knifed through in seconds but I've never had any problems. It's the age old thing that 99% of the time thieves aren't going to steal something unless they can see it.

As for waterproof it's not perfect but that cuts both ways. If you ever put anything wet in a sealed environment you're looking at mold. I keep most stuff in plastic bins and it's no problem at all. The occasional wet towel or shirt I throw in will dry pretty quick. I guess it just depends on how dry you need stuff to stay and how valuable of stuff you store. For me the soft cover works great. Your needs may be different.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:15 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

We bought a Tonno Pro tri fold for the F150, it worked out well and when we got the F250 LB, I bought another for it. With the 8' bed, the folding sections are relatively long, but it worked out OK. When we got this truck, F250 SB, I bought the Tonno Pro "hard top tri fold". It's vinyl covered (same as the other ones were) and has an aluminum under structure. They say that you can stand on it, but I'm not climbing up there to find out....

We fold it toward the cab and tow our Cougar without any problems. The only complaint I have is that it's difficult to get bulky items (generator, blue dump tank, etc) out from under the front section with the fifth wheel hitch in the bed. It's simple to unfasten the cover (two thumb screws) and lift it up to lean against the cab to unload or load that area, otherwise, it's a "not too expensive" tri fold cover that's held up well even with 24" + of snow on top.

If you decide on this brand, there are several "discount mail order" sites that offer free shipping and the cost is about half of a local truck accessory store.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:36 AM   #9
kfxgreenie

I have a Truxedo lo pro qt, a ram 2500 SB, cougar 327res, and an Andersen hitch. During a tight turn leaving a dump station the pin box took a bite out of tonneau aluminum rail that the cover unrolls and rolls up. It did not hit or bend the velcro attachment or support.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:48 AM   #10
Texascoastalfish

I have a Cougar 327RES 5'ver and I have a Back Flip HD on my 2010 F250 6 3/4 foot bed
I flip it back 3 times leaving about 2 1/2 feet still covered. works perfect. There are similar backflip style covers out there maybe less $. I have the HD model . I can walk on my cover
I love the fact that when unhitched my hitch and everything else back there is covered and secure

Regards !
David E.

Texascoastalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:11 PM   #11
vampress_me

We have the Pace Edwards Bedlocker. Love it. We have had it on our trucks since 2000. We are on the second one, first was on our Dodge, but it has fit both Fords, so I'm lucky. It's an aluminum slatted, powder coated roll up cover that has a remote key fob to roll and unroll it into the canister at the front of the box. Our B&W Companion sits low enough that I just close it right over the hitch, no problems.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:07 AM   #12
xcntrk

I use the BAK Roll-X cover. I like it because I have a short bed and don't want to lose the space from a canister type of unit. It covers the 5'er hitch perfectly, and is slim enough when rolled up to not interfere with the trailer while in tow. Also like that there's no ability to open the cover externally, you have to open the tailgate in order to release the cover. This is a great security feature and prevents the need for another set of keys.

The downsides are that it's not the highest quality and I would consider it middle of the road as far as covers go.

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:11 AM   #13
Dave W

I have an Extang soft roll up cover that works quite well for me - and is the same brand as I have had on 3 trucks. It does the job, reasonably priced. One negative is when cold or wet, you might as well be trying to stretch a piece of plywood to get it snapped. If this one goes, a folder may get the nod as a replacement.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:19 PM   #14
Cbrez

[QUOTE=xcntrk;210303]I use the BAK Roll-X cover. I like it because I have a short bed and don't want to lose the space from a canister type of unit. It covers the 5'er hitch perfectly, and is slim enough when rolled up to not interfere with the trailer while in tow. Also like that there's no ability to open the cover externally, you have to open the tailgate in order to release the cover. This is a great security feature and prevents the need for another set of keys.

The downsides are that it's not the highest quality and I would consider it middle of the road as far as covers go
===========================

Are the slats metal? I like the solid fold because no one is getting in with a box cutter, but looks like the BAK may afford the same level of security.

On a separate note - how do you like your SuperGlide? I just installed one and haven't used it yet.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
Old 08-25-2016, 01:57 PM   #15
Pull Toy

Check out a "RETRAX" for maximum waterproof, sealable, lockable protection. You can even stand on it for the time you forgot your ladder, and need to sweep the top of your slider.

$$$ but worth it. http://tonneaucoversworld.com/retrax...FManufacturers

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:23 PM   #16
Cbrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
Check out a "RETRAX" for maximum waterproof, sealable, lockable protection. You can even stand on it for the time you forgot your ladder, and need to sweep the top of your slider.

$$$ but worth it. http://tonneaucoversworld.com/retrax...FManufacturers
Looks like a better solution than my trifold. I do stand on mine occasionally, which easily supports my 230 lbs, but it would be nice to keep it on the truck when traveling and not have any water getting into the box. Cost is high, but maybe worth the benefits. Thanks for posting the link.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
Old 08-25-2016, 02:47 PM   #17
Pull Toy

It's like having an 8'x 5' burglar proof "car type" trunk on your Pick-Up.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:39 PM   #18
Cabindweller

I've had many different styles. These are my favorites, in order:

- Bakflip F1
- Bakflip Roll-X
- Removable trifold (Lund, Trifecta)

I currently have the Bakflip F1 on my Ram (6'4" box) and it works great with my fifth wheel hitch (SuperGlide). No interference at all.

2017 F350 SuperDuty - Lariat, Crew Cab, PowerStroke, SRW, 4x4
Cabindweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:45 PM   #19
Butchy

I have a Truxedo Lo Pro QT soft roll up and very happy with it. Rolls up small and straps in the front of the bed...
Old 08-28-2016, 07:54 AM   #20
MBD

I've got the retrax pro and could not be happier. I do lose a little bed space with the canister, which also limited my choice of auxillary fuel tanks. Beyond being able to stand on it (at a svelte 270), I really like the ability to lock it. It closes with no issues with my hitch in the bed, and it stays in the open position when I have my trailer hitched.

I had a BAK FLIP on a previous truck and hated it. When folded up to carry cargo, I couldn't see out the back window. It wouldn't work with a fifth wheel hitch. The worst part was that it faded after a year and a half and looked horrible.

The soft covers have never appealed to me because I've seen too many of them tear or the snaps break or rip out. I also did not want to struggle with stretching and snapping the cover-not to mention trying to do such when is raining and the cover is slippery or hot and the cover stretches or cold when it is not pliable.

Good Luck!
MBD is offline   Reply With Quote