Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2016, 08:00 PM   #1
timsease

Bumper Scooter Carrier

Well, here goes,,,,, I have a Cougar x Lyte 27RDS 5 er. I am told by the dealer that the rear bumper is rated for 250 pounds. I want to remove the spare and bracket, throw it in the truck, and install an aluminum scooter rack. I want to put a Yamaha scooter on the rack. I think I will be right at 250 pounds. Got any ideas on how to strengthen the bumper or mounts to carry about 50 more pounds? The under side is covered so looking at the frame is rather difficult.

Tim
timsease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:30 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

I wouldn't consider mounting a 250 lb scooter on the bumper - even one that is strengthened. The bumper is a flimsy piece of tubing which is not suitable for withstanding that much weight. Have you ever followed an RV with the bumper loaded with bikes and noticed the bouncing that takes place?

The scooter rack should be directly attached to the Cougar's frame - either welded or bolted. I'd take it in to a fabricating shop and let the experts design and fabricate something that will be able to safely carry the load.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:27 AM   #3
deadeye

I think the first thing to do is get the weight checked of the trailer for each axle with all your stuff in the trailer. You may not have enough extra to add that to the rear axle.
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:20 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Consider that in "years past" a 30' travel trailer weighed in excess of 8000 pounds and was built on a 1/4" or 5/16" frame with 10" or 12" I beams. Today's lightweight and extra light trailers are built on substantially smaller and thinner I beams. They may only be 1/8" or 3/16" thick and possibly as small as 8" I beams. This is possible because the "trailer substance" is significantly lighter. Because of this, the ability to carry "heavy loads" is critically reduced in most models.

Not only might you find a significant "axle/tire/wheel" overload with that much weight hanging off the back of your trailer, you may well cause significant overload of the A frame (trailer tongue), unloading of the tongue weight, bending of the frame rails and damage to the overall trailer structure from the increased flexing caused by the excess weight on the rear.

If I were you, I'd consider that your trailer is very likely at its max already and I'd be very hesitant to add another 250-300 pounds off the back, no matter if it's on the bumper (which won't support it) or on a "frame fabricated shelf"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:46 AM   #5
Bowti

Forget about your bumper carrying anything. Having said that, there are some of us that have had success with a carrier for our scooters. However, the carrier needs to be done by a competent fabricator who will reinforce your trailers frame and build receivers that will carry the described load safely.

My fabricator was recommended by my dealer and had done this many times, so I felt better about the safety factor.

I carry a Honda PCX which comes in at about 286 lbs and have logged in about 15,000 miles with no ill effects. I have a rear view camera to keep an eye on it, and constantly check the welds for any sign of cracks or failure. I am very safety conscience.

As far as pin weight, I am a minimalist so I don't load my trailer with much extra stuff and always travel with my tanks empty. No problems with tracking or pulling the trailer.

2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier
Bowti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:52 PM   #6
timsease

Thanks for the comments. You all kind of said the same thing, and burst my bubble. Maybe I will go back to the old days when I had a dirt bike rack mounted in the front of my GMC Jimmy.

Tim,
timsease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:07 PM   #7
nevlarry

Re: Bumper Scooter Carrier

Tim, don't give up. I have a fiver Couger 27 and carry a Vespa scooter. Went to a weld shop recommended by dealer. He removed the rear bumper, custom made a receiver structure and welded to the frame. Added rear bumper back so it is very solid. $500 but well worth it.

Larry
nevlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:52 AM   #8
Mike484

Look at these: http://mount-n-lock.com/, but still, 250#s is a lot.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:46 AM   #9
CWSWine

This is what I researching to carry a Cricket golf cart that weights right at 310 lbs including batteries. They estimate a tongue weighted of 150 lbs to 200 lbs but I'm having a hitch put on and wouldn't try to connect it to the bumper.

http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel.html

Cricket Golf Cart
http://www.ricksesv.com/
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote