Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2016, 05:53 PM   #1
ElliottM

Picking up new Passport 2670BH on Wednesday

Greetings from central Washington!

We have been looking and considering a 5th wheel or travel trailer for some time. We finally decided that we wanted to keep the bed of the truck free and chose to go with a TT. After looking at a lot of models, we settled on a 2017 Passport 2670BHWE. We are very excited to pick it up and get camping again. We've had tent trailers, a hand-me-down travel trailer, and most recently a truck camper. But all those were when the kids were young - now we are empty nesters, nearing retirement, and looking forward to camping, just the two of us - and the pooches.

I have been crawling through this site for a little while now and really appreciate the willingness to share ideas and experiences. We are looking forward to joining the RV community again and participating with everyone here on the forums.
ElliottM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:04 PM   #2
Alpine

Well then...let me you to the forum and congratulations on your near retirement and travel trailer!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:18 AM   #3
ElliottM

Thank you!
Old 08-08-2016, 08:50 AM   #4
Tbos

Congrats and welcome to the forum from Southern MD. We are empty nesters too but have a BH TT so we can introduce the grandkids to camping. We are loving it. Enjoy.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:54 AM   #5
ElliottM

Thanks, Tbos. We got the bunkhouse for exactly the same reason, with one grandson so far and hopes for more grandkids over time. I used to live in Silver Spring, so please eat some blue crab for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2016, 12:04 PM   #6
Tbos

ElliotM, I do enjoy a good crab cake now and then.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:34 AM   #7
DAN d

welcome from ma good luck have fun
DAN d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:25 AM   #8
ElliottM

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2016, 10:38 AM   #9
MarcS

Congrats on the new TT. Happy camping.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2016, 03:48 PM   #10
ElliottM

Thanks Marc!
Old 08-24-2016, 02:55 AM   #11
notanlines

Alright, Elliot, Wednesday has come and gone. Tell us about the buying experience (did they do a good delivery job for you) and how was your first week-end in it? We are generally a nosey group.....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:08 AM   #12
lesleyinky

So exciting! Congratulations and pictures please [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lesleyinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:53 PM   #13
ElliottM

Maiden voyage

Thanks for the words of encouragement and query on the trailer. The delivery of the trailer went very well. I had printed off the PDI checklist from the site and had reviewed it ahead of time, but I didn't use it during the actual inspection. The dealer's tech was very thorough in walking me through the inspection, and together he and I caught a few things that needed attention and were fixed in short order. I had purchased a brand new load distribution hitch prior to picking up the trailer, but the sway control mounting plate needed to be installed to the trailer tongue, which meant drilling holes. The service team preparing for the dealer jumped on taking care of this, although the dealer did charge me labor for this - $40 - which was reasonable. All told I think we spent somewhere between and hour and an 1.5 hours walking through and inspecting everything.

My DW and I took the trailer out for its maiden voyage last week, mid-week, to avoid the crush over the holiday weekend. We went to Conconully State Park, here in north central Washington State. We were in the south campground and had that entire campground to ourselves. It was a great place to get away for a few days, get some fishing in, and shake down the trailer.

As requested, here are some pics:

The Trailer (we moved it shortly after the photo when we noticed the trailer had moved slightly backwards on the blocks)

The DW with one of our dogs in front of the lake

We had zero issues with the trailer and are very happy with the purchase. We were surprised at the amount of storage space in the trailer, as we didn't use quite a bit of space for this trip, even though we've outfitted it fairly well. I'm sure our opinion will change once we start taking the trailer on long trips, especially once we are both retired in a couple years, but for now we are very pleased with the storage. Speaking of storage, one area where I do want to make some improvements is in organizing the pass-thru storage compartment. Either some stackable bins, or maybe I will get creative and make a pull-out drawer system. I have been perusing this and other sites looking for ideas, but suggestions are welcomed.

The campsite we were in was a primitive site, so we filled the freshwater tank when we arrived (I had sanitized the tank prior to leaving for the park). We were there for only four days and three nights, but we did shower in the trailer and had enough water for our needs and enough waste tank capacity. We purchased a Champion 2800/3100 generator, the model with remote start, and used it to run the A/C one day and to power the microwave a few times. We were very happy with the generator, and the remote start feature is especially handy.

We purchased this trailer model with the exterior kitchen, something we weren't looking for, and we weren't sure how much we would use it. However, we used it the first evening to cook some hamburgers, and we really appreciated being able to keep the cooking odors and mess outside. I have a feeling we will use the outdoor kitchen a lot. We also appreciated the power awning. We have owned RVs in the past with manual awnings, which you all know can be a pain to deploy and retract, and the power awning is so amazingly easy to operate.

Speaking of operate, I am putting together an online notebook (using Microsoft OneNote, for those who are familiar with it) on the operations of the trailer. I am doing it partly for myself as a reminder, partly for my wife to help her understand the operations of the systems in the trailer, as well as to help inform any of our grown children in case they stay in the trailer. Once I am satisfied I have it fairly thorough, I will be happy to post a link so that others can use it or borrow from it.

I will add just a few parting thoughts:
  • for those with manual scissor jacks, the battery-powered combo drill & flashlight at Harbor Freight Tools, for about $25, is a decent bargain. I also picked up their digital timer (about $10), so that I could program the recharging of the battery without overcharging it. I also picked up a spare battery, using a 25% off coupon, just in case we need it.
  • We didn't turn on our TV this trip, but the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter, which I picked up on eBay for about $25, is a great way to stream your Windows laptop or Android device to the TV
  • Those 3M Command reusable hooks are sure handy. We put a few up in the bathroom for hanging towels, until we decide what we want to do for a more permanent solution.
  • The one minor complaint we do have, so far, about the trailer is regarding the glue job of the wallpaper. There are a few places where the overlapped material at the seams are pulling up and need to be re-glued. Not a huge issue, but still a bit annoying.
  • There is a skylight in the kitchen, but it doesn't have a fan, and we know that is something we will want to fix soon. There is a vented van above the cooktop though.
  • The bathroom vent does have a fan, but it operates only one way. Does anyone know if it is possible to change the switch out to reverse the polarity to allow the fan to operate moving air in or out?
Old 09-07-2016, 04:57 PM   #14
Tbos

Glad your trip went well. Thanks for the detailed trip report.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2016, 07:10 AM   #15
MarcS

Welcome to the Forum. Congrats on your TT purchase. DW and recently purchased a Passport also and absolutely love it.

Congrats and Happy Camping!

Old 09-08-2016, 08:01 AM   #16
DAN d

from ma en joy happycamping
DAN d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:30 PM   #17
ElliottM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
Welcome to the Forum. Congrats on your TT purchase. DW and recently purchased a Passport also and absolutely love it.

Congrats and Happy Camping!

Thanks, Marc. Congrats on your Passport purchase!
Old 09-11-2016, 01:56 PM   #18
51ferguson

maiden voyage

Hello ElliottM, congrats on the new 2670BH. My wife and I live in central Florida and purchased a 2016 Passport 2670 BH in November of 2015 and absolutely love it. We mainly got the BH for the grand kids also. We also liked this model because of the out door kitchen which I use every trip we take, we have not used the cook top inside since we have had the trailer but we have used the oven several times for biscuits and cookies. I also like the fact that the outdoor kitchen area is covered by the awning when it is deployed, we looked at some models with an outdoor kitchen but it would not be covered by the awning when deployed and I don't want soggy food or to get sun burned while cooking. I am interested in your online notebook and will be watching the forum for the link once you get it posted. Good luck with your new trailer and I hope you and your family can make many happy memories camping in it. Oh yeah I forgot to say
William
51ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:50 PM   #19
busterbrown

To the OP: Congrats on your purchase. Many memories in the making!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
DW and recently purchased a Passport also and absolutely love it.
Marc S, How do you like your front bathroom, 2-slide bunkhouse model? Before I bought my Bullet 308BHS (same floor plan as the Passport 3220), I considered your floor plan. Bathroom privacy at night would be nice with the kids sleeping in the bunkhouse. Weight was about 500 lbs heavier. Did it come with 225/75/15 Load D tires? The 308BHS barely made the cut with 205/75/14's at 6150 lbs. I just bought 15" wheels and tires to increase my cushion with load capacity. Blame Keystone for skimping with "bare minimum" components! I'll have to do the axles next!
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:57 PM   #20
MarcS

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
To the OP: Congrats on your purchase. Many memories in the making!

Marc S, How do you like your front bathroom, 2-slide bunkhouse model? Before I bought my Bullet 308BHS (same floor plan as the Passport 3220), I considered your floor plan. Bathroom privacy at night would be nice with the kids sleeping in the bunkhouse. Weight was about 500 lbs heavier. Did it come with 225/75/15 Load D tires? The 308BHS barely made the cut with 205/75/14's at 6150 lbs. I just bought 15" wheels and tires to increase my cushion with load capacity. Blame Keystone for skimping with "bare minimum" components! I'll have to do the axles next!
Love the bath and a half. Two slides make for a lot of interior room. TT is way longer then it looked on the lot. Lol. Overall DW and I love the 3350. It came with the 15s already on it. Tows like a dream compared to my last TT.