Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2017, 06:13 PM   #1
Whitewolf

Deleted

Took the truck to a reputable shop and they deleted it. Why, oh why didn't I do this 50K ago?

Throttle response is amazing. It's crisper if you know what I mean. Entering the freeway from a stoplight, foot on the pedal where it normally would be (it's called muscle memory) and before I left the on ramp I was doing 80mph.

Turbo break really slows things down QUICKLY. One interesting thing about the turbo break is it stays on when I shut the truck down. To me, that's a plus.

It was only a 2hr drive home, but the notoriously wrong EVIC posted a few more MPG.

All this on the 'Stock' setting.

Edge tuner
Sinister Diesel EGR delete kit
S&B intake
5" turbo back exhaust

They put everything they took off in the bed of the truck. My only problem is how to get rid of several hundred pounds of parts they took off.

If you're from or near central Michigan, I highly recommend these guys (and gals).

Tradition Truck Service is where the mechanical work is done. Right next door and a part of them is Diesel Freak, Performance Harnesses where they do the tuner install. All one company, just two different entities.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:21 PM   #2
Tbos

I only have 24k on mine and don't want to put it on a diet until the warranty is gone. I'm looking forward to that day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:24 PM   #3
Johnny's Journey

"Procrastination makes easy things hard, hard things harder"
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:40 PM   #4
Whitewolf

Tbos-
I've got almost 87K on ours. I bought the extended warranty due to the problems with the DEF system. I was until today on my 3rd. The money I spent on the warranty would have paid for 2/3 of the delete.

Johnny-
Love it!

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
Old 08-29-2017, 07:09 PM   #5
Desert185

By "turbo break" do you mean exhaust brake? If so, if it is still engaged when you shutdown it will contribute to a higher EGT, which is not good for the turbo and EGT cool down before stopping the engine. Good for engine warmup, but not cool down.

Other than that, I like the mods.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:32 PM   #6
Whitewolf

Desert-
To us around here, it's one in the same. The Turbo Break not staying on is a bain of many Ram owners. Towing or not.

On cold mornings I run the break and run it up a few hundred RPMs to warm up faster.

When shutting down I always let her idle for a few minutes if I'm pulling.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:31 AM   #7
kfxgreenie

Keep the parts. If you decided to sell and cannot sell yourself, those parts are need for most dealers to take in on trade. And i assume when you say the exhaust brake is on you just mean the light is lit on the console not actually working like during warm up? Curious was the edge used to "unlock" the truck and is now your gauge cluster and was something like EFI live used to flash the truck?
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:36 AM   #8
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf View Post
Desert-
To us around here, it's one in the same. The Turbo Break not staying on is a bain of many Ram owners. Towing or not.

On cold mornings I run the break and run it up a few hundred RPMs to warm up faster.

When shutting down I always let her idle for a few minutes if I'm pulling.
With my PacBrake, if I come off idle it turns off. I have the 3-cylinder high idle programming or a block heater if its that cold. Normally, I just turn on the PacBrake and let it idle until the inlet heater grid stops cycling.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:35 AM   #9
Whitewolf

Desert-
Gotcha.

Kfx-
Already pitched the parts. They cut the exhaust off and apart with a sawzall. I plan on keeping this truck for about 5 more years. Maybe more. Maybe not, if someone dumps a load of cash on me, but I don't see that happening.

The light for both modes of the brake go on when you cycle the button. The actual brake does also. What's new is that the brake comes on when I restart the truck if I had left it on when I shut the truck off.

I'm not sure what all came in the box, but I think everything was there to unlock it. I have a 4 position rotary nob for 4 different settings. #1 is 'stock'. #2 is a 50hp or so increase. By #4 there's about a 125hp increase and your rollin' coal when you stomp on it.

I'll post a short video of the monitor on startup later this evening.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:49 PM   #10
kfxgreenie

Quote:
Desert-
Gotcha.

Kfx-
Already pitched the parts. They cut the exhaust off and apart with a sawzall. I plan on keeping this truck for about 5 more years. Maybe more. Maybe not, if someone dumps a load of cash on me, but I don't see that happening.

The light for both modes of the brake go on when you cycle the button. The actual brake does also. What's new is that the brake comes on when I restart the truck if I had left it on when I shut the truck off.

I'm not sure what all came in the box, but I think everything was there to unlock it. I have a 4 position rotary nob for 4 different settings. #1 is 'stock'. #2 is a 50hp or so increase. By #4 there's about a 125hp increase and your rollin' coal when you stomp on it.

I'll post a short video of the monitor on startup later this evening.
Sounds like they used the edge CTS2 to unlock the truck and that is used as your gauge cluster, and they used EFI live to load the software and you have an EFI live Shift on the fly rotary knob. I don't know if you have the 68RFE or the AISIN being you have a 3500, but if it is the 68RFE it is recommended that you let the transmission "adapt" for about 20-30 miles before really getting on it. In other words drive like a Grandpa for 20-30 miles so the tranny can learn and adapt after you have moved the position of the knob.

Knob something like this?
http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/ef...SABEgLYAfD_BwE
Old 08-30-2017, 05:54 PM   #11
Whitewolf

Kfx-
Digging deeper into this and you're correct. No sense posting a video.

Old 09-02-2017, 06:14 AM   #12
Whitewolf

Kfx-
My nob is a 4 position with no numbers.

Took a 400 mile round trip yesterday into northern Ontario. Set the cruise on 57mph. This part of Ontario has some serious hills. Topped off at the same pump when I returned and calculated 24.5 mpg.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:00 AM   #13
kfxgreenie

Yup the new ram tunes have so much data per tune that they can only support 4 tunes via efi live. That is some impressive mileage!
Old 09-02-2017, 09:08 AM   #14
Desert185

Its gratifying to have good results after a modification.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:21 PM   #15
Whitewolf

Kfx & Desert- I thought mileage was impressive also. I need to take a few more long haul trips before I start .

I've only done one tow to a campground about 45 minutes away. Kept it in the 'stock' setting. There's a decent hill we have to go over and usually she downshifts. Not this time. Went right over in 6th gear. Did take some boost, but she didn't loose more than 2mph.

One problem I've noticed. When I cancel the cruise and press the brake to come to a stop, the exhaust brake doesn't always come on like it's supposed to. May not get to go camping anymore this year to test it out further.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:41 AM   #16
Rusty

Our 2014 is still under warranty, as far as I know that is.

But my neighbour was telling me about the deletion, it can be done around here for roughly $900, including a computer re-flash. Sounds like a plan.

2014 Dodge 3500 Laramie 6.7 Cummins, Exhaust Brake.

2013 Cougar High Country 315RES
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:12 AM   #17
Whitewolf

$900 sounds great! I believe you'll need to do something with the exhaust because there things there that you won't need and may cause a problem if you do leave them. I opted for a whole new turbo back 5" exhaust. And a new intake. The difference is amazing. Throttle response is incredible. Mileage is the same as far as I can tell. Still haven't taken any trips while pulling and won't till next year.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:39 PM   #18
Desert185

Quote:
$900 sounds great! I believe you'll need to do something with the exhaust because there things there that you won't need and may cause a problem if you do leave them. I opted for a whole new turbo back 5" exhaust. And a new intake. The difference is amazing. Throttle response is incredible. Mileage is the same as far as I can tell. Still haven't taken any trips while pulling and won't till next year.
Cold air intake, intake horn or intake manifold? If intake horn, which one?
Old 10-23-2017, 04:55 PM   #19
Whitewolf

Desert-
It's a S&B CAI system. Goes all the way to the turbo. Looking at the website it looks like they're using washable filters, but mine is white paper. Totally happy.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:50 AM   #20
Dave W

In my dreams, I see my truck as 'deleted' but I have an extended warranty that goes to 136,000 miles but only have 108,000 on it now. To make that DEF tank disappear would be a godsend as the level indicator gadget died and it has to be kept brim full so it wont throw an 800 miles until something drastic happens fault. I have the replacement part but right now, not the time with RV an home projects needing to be finished before the snow flies
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote