Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2017, 06:29 AM   #11
Desert185

With a uncoated steel tank in an area with high humidity there might be justification for having a full tank for a long storage period to fight condensation and the resulting rusting, but with plastic tanks rust isn't an issue.

-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:31 AM   #12
gary31

I fill the tank before I winterize for storage. I use Stabil in the gas, every few weeks I stop by fire up the generator watch a little TV do some handy work in the camper and drink a beer. This keeps the Genny in top shape and lets me hang out by myself for a couple hours. I also like to know that in an emergency event Snow or ice I have a secondary lodge should I need it, as well as a ready source of fuel to use in my home generator should I need it.

Enjoying the Grandkids like No Tomorrow!
-----------------------------------------------
2015 Carbon 31
2013 F250 CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel
2005 Honda Rancher & 2017 RZR 900S
gary31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:52 AM   #13
xrated

Well, I believe I'll just fill the tank then, add the correct amount of StaBil....maybe a dab or two extra....and call it good. I do pretty good at hooking up my 50 amp shore power cord over the winter to keep the batteries charged, but I've got to improve on starting and loading the genny more frequently over the winter months.

Thanks to all that posted up what works for y'all.

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #14
Racebug

do we have steel tanks in the toy haulers? I always assumed they were plastic.

2017 Fuzion 417
2013 Ram 3500 Longhorn
Racebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:33 PM   #15
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racebug View Post
do we have steel tanks in the toy haulers? I always assumed they were plastic.
My Fuzion Impact model 303 is definitely a metal tank. I'm too lazy to walk out there and check whether it's steel or aluminum.....but my money is on it being steel.

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:52 AM   #16
rick-eureka

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Well, I believe I'll just fill the tank then, add the correct amount of StaBil....maybe a dab or two extra....and call it good. I do pretty good at hooking up my 50 amp shore power cord over the winter to keep the batteries charged, but I've got to improve on starting and loading the genny more frequently over the winter months.

Thanks to all that posted up what works for y'all.
I almost always fill tank and add Stabil or Marvel Mystery Oil. I usually run it for at least 30 minutes each month of winter. Did not do this last winter, stupidity. Generator would not start this spring and started giving out codes. Took it to a good mechanic. Ended up pulling tank, flushing it and replacing filter. Mechanic said fuel broke down and gunked everything up. Added an inline fuel filter. Will always fill and add stabilizer. from now on. Will start and let it run for a while each month also.
rick-eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:47 AM   #17
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-eureka View Post
I almost always fill tank and add Stabil or Marvel Mystery Oil. I usually run it for at least 30 minutes each month of winter. Did not do this last winter, stupidity. Generator would not start this spring and started giving out codes. Took it to a good mechanic. Ended up pulling tank, flushing it and replacing filter. Mechanic said fuel broke down and gunked everything up. Added an inline fuel filter. Will always fill and add stabilizer. from now on. Will start and let it run for a while each month also.
Do you have a fuel cutoff? You can typically run the fuel out of the carb/bowl with a cutoff. On my Champion, I flip the fuel mechanical switch and let it run until it dies. It will sputter as the fuel runs out of the carb. This way it makes it harder to gunk up.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:30 PM   #18
tinman50

i have winterized my toy haulers for about 6 years I'm in north idaho and store my toy hauler outside next to my house. i put a canoe sea foam in the tank then run the generator for about a half an hour when take the cover off it pull the air cleaner and spray onan engine fogger into the carb until the engine stalls. always starts up quickly the next spring it smokes for about half a minute till the fogger clears and then runs like normal when i fill the sxs it also runs normal. the biggest thing i have found thats important is to use only non ethanol premium fuel in the tank it resits degrading much longer and the engines run better.
tinman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:07 PM   #19
Chris P

I'm a boat owner and had issues with fuel.Turns out the cap was bad but I never fill the tank b4 storing and get most of the fuel out. Since doing that haven't had any more issues but use startron fuel treatment all the time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:36 PM   #20
rwmurphy15

Mine is steel.

Tags
fuel, tank