Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2016, 05:40 PM   #1
Cbrez

GiraffeG4 Low Clearance Collision Avoidance System

Is anyone familiar with this system? My 5er tops out at over 13 ft in height, so I like the idea of having a sensor to warn of low overhead obstructions, but it is expensive and would only be useful when traveling at low enough speeds to stop within 20 ft or so. Appreciate feedback from anyone who has experience with this system.

http://giraffeg4.com/shop/

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:35 PM   #2
Campy

I seen that system but have never come across anybody with it? My 5th is just over 13 ft so I pay close attention to what it coming up and cautiously proceed under awnings at fuel stops. So far I have never been "caught" by a low clearance.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:49 PM   #3
Cbrez

Thanks Campy. Your lone reply tells me this is not a system I need. Just keep eyes up and don't get complacent.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
Old 09-05-2016, 08:48 PM   #4
bobbecky

Also what works is a GPS unit that you program in your height, length, and weight, so it will take you on routes that your rig will fit through. There are a number of trucker/RV GPS units, some with a data base with RV parks and such.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:49 PM   #5
Cbrez

Yeah, I was partial to Rand McNally, but read a bunch of scathing reviews. Now looking at Garmin. Recommendations appreciated.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
Old 09-08-2016, 06:04 PM   #6
CaptnJohn

I have the Garmin RV gps. Yesterday I put a couple addresses in Chattanooga in it. Today I used the one in the truck dash. At first I did not realize being directed the long way then I saw the posted height of a tunnel I was directed away from. The truck dash gps would have had me in trouble if the 5er was attached. Backing 200 yards in city traffic would not be fun.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:26 AM   #7
WaltBennett

Have been using the Garmin RV one for three years now. Had one instance of it wanting me to take a shortcut a couple years back, on a country two lane road. Just before turning off the main 4 lane highway I saw a low clearance sign saying 12' 6" ahead, but couldn't see what it was - must have been a few miles down the road. I don't know if that low clearance was on the route the Garmin wanted me to go or not, but I decided not to chance it as backing up 38' of trailer can be problematic. Other than that one 'incident', it's never failed me on clearance.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:45 PM   #8
Cbrez

Appreciate the great feedback CaptnJohn and Walt. A buddy has the Garmin RV also and swears by it. I think I am sold. I have always bought Garmin for the autos. Does not appear there is any reason to change for the RV. Thanks again.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:03 AM   #9
Covered Wagon

RvSafetyFirst.com
Take a look at there site. They have an add to your gps. Looks good to me, but I have no idea.
Covered Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:09 AM   #10
Campy

I also use the Garmin but don't rely on it for clearance issues as I have heard a few horror stories about tunnels.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:22 PM   #11
Cbrez

Campy - That's disappointing to hear since I was hoping the Garmin would help avoid low clearance situations. I realize I need to drive with my "eyes up" since no gps is going to be completely accurate, but would hope the gps would route me around documented low clearance situations. Do you stay on truck routes or use some other method for trip planning?
Old 09-22-2016, 03:48 AM   #12
rsl

I have the low clearance addon for GPS and it works good, but I have found (fortunately not while pulling 5er) a couple of low spots not on it as well.

I have been looking at the Garmin RV GPS as well and the reviews are good.

My only issue with spending that much money is I have a Ram 3500 truck with an in dash Garmin and for the life of me cant figure out why that does not have the "Truck/RV" feature already built in to accommodate length, height, width and weight like the RV model does. I wonder if that is a software addon you can get for the in dash?
rsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:33 AM   #13
Timon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
My only issue with spending that much money is I have a Ram 3500 truck with an in dash Garmin and for the life of me cant figure out why that does not have the "Truck/RV" feature already built in to accommodate length, height, width and weight like the RV model does. I wonder if that is a software addon you can get for the in dash?
On my Journey it says you can add a POI so you could always purchase one with your parameters although I'm not sure it will alert you. My understand however is if it will on a standard Garmin it should on the UConnect Garmin GPS.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:35 PM   #14
Rickmuzick

Re: GiraffeG4 Low Clearance Collision Avoidance System

"My 5er tops out at over 13 ft in height, so I like the idea of having a sensor to warn of low overhead obstructions"

Save your money!

KNOW the exact height of the 5er and PAY ATTENTION to the signage and DON'T RELY on a GPS unless you have one that has TRUCK capabilities where you can enter your EXACT height.

I drive a commercial bus (entertainer coach) for a living and in 24 years and nearly 2 million accident free miles I have NEVER had a clearance related incident.

It is all about PAYING ATTENTION.

The statutory height of ALL Interstate overpasses is at least 13'6" Side road's on the US and State highway systems will have a warning sign (by law) if it is under statutory height.

IMHO people rely to much on technology and get themselves into trouble. (I see it all the time in my line of work and that includes this new breed of truck driver) If you are heading off the Interstate to a campground miles away you should ALWAYS call to get the safest routing into it.
Rickmuzick is offline   Reply With Quote