Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2016, 02:05 PM   #1
77vetter

Slideout Mishap

We were going to winterize our Outback Sydney and were putting out the slides when we noticed an issue. The last time we used the camper we put a folding table in the back corner and that was in the way when we now were trying to put the slide out.

We stopped before any real damage but the front facing of the slide began to pull out starting at the bottom and about half way up. The bottom screw is completely out and the middle screw appears to have come out and then got pushed back in to a new location.

We are wondering how the front facing boards are attached? The top corner rosette has the light brown square piece attached to the larger dark brown square. The light brown piece I can see has four small nails/staples attaching it and I am assuming glue as well? But we cant tell how the larger dark brown square is attached. If we can get the rosette off do you know if we can then get the facing off as we are assuming that is covering the screws we need to get attached back to the slide?

Here are some pics I hope you can see what I am talking about. Any advice would be appreciated.

This is the rosette I am talking about along with the facing that needs to be removed:

This is the middle screw that pulled out and appears to have repositioned incorrectly:

The slide itself does not appear to be damaged as once removed the table it was able to fully extend and fully close up with no issue. We just need to get that facing properly secured to the slide again and need advice as to how that facing can be safely removed and re-applied.
77vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 02:36 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Slide out facia trim is brad nailed to the facia and then the brad holes are filled with matching putty.

Gently remove the center piece and you should be able to pull out all the brads. We use 18gauge brad nailers at work. The screws are what holds the "horseshoe" pieces to the actual slide. Its common for them to be crooked, and appear to be not positioned right.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 03:01 PM   #3
77vetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Slide out facia trim is brad nailed to the facia and then the brad holes are filled with matching putty.

Gently remove the center piece and you should be able to pull out all the brads. We use 18gauge brad nailers at work. The screws are what holds the "horseshoe" pieces to the actual slide. Its common for them to be crooked, and appear to be not positioned right.
So after I remove the top rosette, that center piece of the facia can be removed? Or is the facia all one piece?

None of the board are glued to each other it all brad nailed?
77vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 03:27 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Nothing is glued, it's all brad nailed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:16 PM   #5
bobbecky

We have had a the vertical facia pieces pulled off, and the plywood part under it also pulled out, a couple of times due to something the fell or due to a cabinet door that had opened during travel. After removing the facia completely, remove the screws that are pulled out and reinstall the screws. Using a side cutter or diagonal cutter, I cut all the brads from the back, and then file or grind the ends flush with the back of the facia. I then proceed to re-nail the facia with my pneumatic nail gun, and then fill the holes from the new nails with a filler that matches the stain color.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:33 AM   #6
WaltBennett

It's all brad nailed so it will pull apart when something like this happens and it can be nailed back together easily. No glue for the same reason.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:14 AM   #7
Dave W

Virtually every piece of molding or wood on Keystone RVs is either brad nailed or narrow crown stapled. If you have any tank compressor, Harbor Freight has each tool at a reasonable price - and you can also find a serviceable pancake compressor there as well. I have their stapler and finish nailer plus a Hitachi brad nailer that I've used for many repairs and mods on the 5er plus lots of work around the house and shop.

Just remember, a guy (or some gals) can never have too many tools ---- and this can be an excuse (reason?) to add a few
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:31 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Nail guns are a "staple" in the RV industry.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:24 PM   #9
Mike L123

Re: Slideout Mishap

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Nail guns are a "staple" in the RV industry.
Wait, Whaaaaaaaaat? Groan!

Cheers!

Mike
Carol, My wonderful wife of 41 years
Kenzie Schweenie Tod, our furry faced Shih 't n Dash
Mike L123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:00 AM   #10
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Same thing here. Glad to know it's just not me with these issues. HF, I should probably just set up an account with them. Sometimes the quality is not great, but the prices are sure right.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:41 AM   #11
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Same thing here. Glad to know it's just not me with these issues. HF, I should probably just set up an account with them. Sometimes the quality is not great, but the prices are sure right.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!
I sometimes think the same about that account and so do a lot of others from the length of the checkout line every time I go to our local store. Since I retired, my cherished higher level tools are just out of my price range for my now occasional use.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote