Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2023, 07:37 PM   #1
bulletcrossfire

Bullet Crossfire possible giggy box issues.

Heading for a trip in a couple of weeks we've noticed the battery that operates the electric tounge jack and stabilizers. Keystone mentioned that if we have it plugged in when not in use the power from the house will keep the battery charged. However, reading the manual there is no mention of this. This is from the manual. Can someone else explain? The 12v is reading less than 5 at the moment and it's born on date is January 2023.
"If the shoreline cord will be plugged in for long periods of time, battery water will evaporate quicker and maintenance will be required more often (does not apply to maintenance free battery). Keep battery terminals clean of corrosion and tightened. When storing the RV for an extended period, fully charge the battery before storage. Batteries will self-discharge over time and are subject to freezing, especially if in a discharged condition. We recommend removing the fully charged battery and storing in a cool dry place. Periodically check the charge of the battery while in storage and recharge as needed"

I had the battery charged and ran into an issue on the last day. The battery died leading us to have to pull in the stabilizers and slide out so that we could have battery when we arrived home (storage facility) to lower the tounge so that we could unhitch. I assume that during the time at camp we drained the full battery which we assumed was being charged during shoreline hookup and driving. I can only guess that there is a problem at the giddy box. Any ideas? Are we missing something? Thanks.

We did replace the inline fuse at the jack just as a precaution the night we were charging off of the jump box.

Apologies, giggy box not giddy box.
bulletcrossfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 06:40 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Is the battery switch turned off? If that disconnect on the giggly box is off then the battery will not get charged by shore power or the truck.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 07:18 AM   #3
bulletcrossfire

Yeah it was on.
Old 10-11-2023, 08:47 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

I suggest you pull out the battery and have it load tested at an auto parts store. If the battery has been drained several times bellow 11 volts then it likely will no longer take a charge.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 09:00 AM   #5
bulletcrossfire

We’ll I did take it back to the battery company that supplied it to the rv company they put it on charge for a day or so and said it’s a good battery there are no issues. He gave me advise on what I could be doing wrong. When it died the first time I put it on my volt meter and it read about 2. After jumping it at the campsite and bringing it home I checked last night and it read 12. We’re still very new to this and appreciate any advice. Thanks again.
Old 10-11-2023, 10:26 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletcrossfire View Post
We’ll I did take it back to the battery company that supplied it to the rv company they put it on charge for a day or so and said it’s a good battery there are no issues. He gave me advise on what I could be doing wrong. When it died the first time I put it on my volt meter and it read about 2. After jumping it at the campsite and bringing it home I checked last night and it read 12. We’re still very new to this and appreciate any advice. Thanks again.
Take a look at this voltage/charge condition chart. As you can see, a voltage reading of 12 volts is a battery charge condition of about 47 or 48%, well below the recommended "Never allow the battery to discharge below 70%.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BATTERY CHARGE STATUS VOLTAGE CHART1.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	45373  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet