Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2022, 02:42 PM   #1
Sir_LR

Keystone outback 210urs SUV towable??

Im looking into purchasing a slightly used 2017 outback 210urs and was wondering if it was towable by a 7700lbs tow rated land rover discovery 5. and I have a tongue weight rating of 770lbs, seems well within rating Just want some more experienced opinions. Trailer feedback is also helpful.
Sir_LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 02:56 PM   #2
bsmith0404

The 210 is a very nice little lightweight trailer. It looks like all the specs should be within your TV. My only concern with any of these SUVs towing trailers is the short wheel base. A good WDH with very good sway control would be in order IMO.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 03:15 PM   #3
Campermike

Tongue weight will likely be an issue. It is shorter but weighs more than my 2300bh. Loaded tongue weight will be at least 750 likely 800 or more. Even if tongue weight is ok you may not have enough payload.
Old 06-07-2022, 03:21 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_LR View Post
Im looking into purchasing a slightly used 2017 outback 210urs and was wondering if it was towable by a 7700lbs tow rated land rover discovery 5. and I have a tongue weight rating of 770lbs, seems well within rating Just want some more experienced opinions. Trailer feedback is also helpful.
Tow rating is typically a useless number when towing a camper. I don't know where you are getting the tongue rating from. Is that the payload on the door sticker or written on the hitch or from a website or ???? From what I've found on line the gvw of the trailer is 6,500 lbs. Typical two is 13% so at gvw it would be 845 lbs. Add another 100 lbs or so for a good wdh.

In my opinion that's more than should ever be strapped onto the back of a small SUV. At the tongue weight and 23' long it would not be a pleasant towing experience. Not trying to be cruel just realistic. Anything larger than a pop- up would be a challenge IMHO.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 03:48 PM   #5
bsmith0404

I just looked up the specs on the Discovery S. Can’t find much on a Discovery 5. Maybe the year would help. As for the S, which I don’t know how much it differed from the 5, It’s a little confusing since it states in one area it can tow up to 8,800 lbs, then under specs it’s says the max tow capability is up to 5950. The other parts that is concerning is that it list the max coupling weight at 330 lbs. The light weight and short wheel base is a concern for a trailer like the 210. I would do some more research on the Discovery S or 5 and make sure you have the correct info before you do anything. I provided a different respond earlier that was based off the info you provided, but I deleted it or at least attempted to. Based on the info on the Land River website, I’d say it’s a no go.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
Old 06-07-2022, 03:57 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
This is the 2020 Discovery Towing Restrictions from the Owner's Manual:

Note the part at the bottom: DO NOT USE A WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION HITCH SYSTEM AS IT CAN CAUSE SERIOUS DAMAGE TO THE VEHICLE...

Simply put, Jaguar builds the Discovery with a unibody frame system and it just can't support the torque placed on the frame by a WD hitch. I believe your vehicle is just not engineered or equipped to tow an American built travel trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DISCOVERY TOWING RESTRICTIONS.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	40129  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 03:27 PM   #7
Sir_LR

The reason you cant use a weight distribution hitch is because it has air ride so it auto levels the vehicle to my extent of knowledge towing a big pop-up was too easy so it was time to go up a notch and try it out I doubt ill have problems. But thanks for all the advice
Old 06-09-2022, 03:29 PM   #8
Sir_LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I just looked up the specs on the Discovery S. Can’t find much on a Discovery 5. Maybe the year would help. As for the S, which I don’t know how much it differed from the 5, It’s a little confusing since it states in one area it can tow up to 8,800 lbs, then under specs it’s says the max tow capability is up to 5950. The other parts that is concerning is that it list the max coupling weight at 330 lbs. The light weight and short wheel base is a concern for a trailer like the 210. I would do some more research on the Discovery S or 5 and make sure you have the correct info before you do anything. I provided a different respond earlier that was based off the info you provided, but I deleted it or at least attempted to. Based on the info on the Land River website, I’d say it’s a no go.
The specs I listed were correct the generation is a 5 but the model is a 2019 hse lux Td6
Old 06-09-2022, 03:30 PM   #9
Sir_LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Tow rating is typically a useless number when towing a camper. I don't know where you are getting the tongue rating from. Is that the payload on the door sticker or written on the hitch or from a website or ???? From what I've found on line the gvw of the trailer is 6,500 lbs. Typical two is 13% so at gvw it would be 845 lbs. Add another 100 lbs or so for a good wdh.

In my opinion that's more than should ever be strapped onto the back of a small SUV. At the tongue weight and 23' long it would not be a pleasant towing experience. Not trying to be cruel just realistic. Anything larger than a pop- up would be a challenge IMHO.
Wouldnt 23 be a perfect size behind a almost full size suv
Old 06-09-2022, 03:49 PM   #10
Campermike

Quote:
The reason you cant use a weight distribution hitch is because it has air ride so it auto levels the vehicle to my extent of knowledge towing a big pop-up was too easy so it was time to go up a notch and try it out I doubt ill have problems. But thanks for all the advice
If you don't use a wd hitch you will have problems. Your car does not support a wd hitch. So if you use a wd hitch you will have a problem. No way to win there....

And towing a moderate size TT is nothing like a popup. I had a 12' box pup that I towed before my TT that weights about the same as what you are considering. I barely felt the popup. The TT is a lot more to handle! And the wd hitch is needed to avoid unloading your steer axle. It's a huge wind sail so having say control is needed. The best sway control is integrated with a good wdh... your suv may have nearly the same tow rating as my truck... but no wdh severely limits it.
Campermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 03:55 PM   #11
Campermike

Quote:
A lighter trailer of that length probably could be towed by an suv with a wdh. The trailer you are considering weighs more than the 27' one I own. Some 23 ft trailers weigh less.
Campermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 03:58 PM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Not in my opinion no. Can you tow it? It's a free country you can do as you wish. Should you? IMHO no. Throw those "max tow ratings" out the window as they are based on a low coefficient drag, low center of gravity trailer with a low tongue weight because the load is centered over the trailers axles.

The reality of towing a high center of gravity box down the road with approximately 15% of the trailers weight supported by the hitch will be a completly different experience. The tires on your "almost" full size SUV are likely P metric low profile, not ideal for towing.

Good luck and safe travels.
Old 06-09-2022, 04:18 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

OP IMO it would be ill advised to pull that trailer with that Disco with or without a weight distribution hitch. Folks pull trailers all the time with vehicles with self leveling systems. It doesn't impair the tow vehicle if set up properly. Your vehicle was not meant to be a tow vehicle for anything of any size; the build and specs reflect that.

GVW for the disco will be somewhere in the 6725lb. range. That leaves you very little if any room for payload after you load the vehicle with people and add a hitch. Your receiver has a max rating of 770lbs (picked the highest of all). The trailer has a gvw of 6500lbs. which would equal approx. 845lbs at gvw. which exceeds your receiver capacity.

None of the above is good. The Disco was never intended to tow any size of a trailer. In fact the manual only lists towing a trailer with "overrun" brakes, or surge brakes. Trailers of any size don't use those. It doesn't allow a weight distribution hitch but you have to have one to have sway control on a trailer of any size and it would be beyond reckless and dangerous to pull that trailer with the Disco without them.

The above is so conclusive I did not try to delve into the axle ratings or anything further because this shouldn't be done IMO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 04:18 PM   #14
Laredo Tugger

To the OP,
You wanted "some more experienced opinions " and you got it.
I have seen many pictures and videos on this forum of the "tail wagging the dog", the trailer swerving back and forth until it flips the TV. Most or all were undersized SUVs ( or short wheelbase Jeeps)for the trailer.
There is a lot of towing and real life experience on these forums. Tow it if you want. Will you be the next video? Who knows?
Maybe reevaluate.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 04:31 PM   #15
bsmith0404

Looking at all the specs, I can see why someone would be tempted to do it. After seeing the information about a WDH I can say I wouldn’t. When I transported with a 1 ton dually, crew cab, long bed, there were many times I didn’t use one on smaller trailers. I can say those little trailers could be a handful when a crosswind d hit them or a semi went by. If I could feel them moving around in a dually that weighed 9,200 lbs, imagine the white knuckle experience you would have with a smaller, lighter, shorter wheel base vehicle with only 4 feet on the ground instead of 6. Regardless of what the specs say, I wouldn’t tow anything biggger than a pop up with that vehicle without a WDH with hood sway control.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 06-10-2022, 06:08 PM   #16
Laredo Tugger

I guess the giveaway was the popcorn eating emojois. This guy Sir_LR obviously never wanted an honest opinion about his towing plans, he just wanted to prove the point that he could provoke the "Weight Police " into engaging his deception. And he did just that.
He thinks he's good to go, then let him.
Or, as it happens so many times on here, he didn't get that arm around his shoulder with a nod of approval from many forum members saying his Disco was perfect for the task and you will be fine towing your intended trailer.
Oh well. I guess I'll wait for the video.
Like we used to say in my job " You want to watch the 6 o'clock news, you don't want to be the 6 o'clock news "
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 06:40 PM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

I guess I'm used to it. I have a BIL that will "float" some insane idea and ask me what I think. I'll give him my opinion with all the "because" facts. If I don't have a definitive answer or suggestion I'll tell him who he should be asking. He will continue to ask me the same questions over and over often with an "are you sure?" at the end. Typically he'll do this for days until I laugh at him and tell him that no matter how many times he asks me "what color cow's milk is the answer will still be white".

Sometimes he'll just get mopey and stops asking and sometimes he'll proceed with his idea. When he does I encourage him to "prove me wrong". I know when he fails because he drops the subject. I have never said "I told you so" but a few times I've asked him why he seeks my advice then ignores it. It's all good. All you can do is try.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:15 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Reading all the posts from the OP, the emojis and his responses about the ability of his SUV as a towing vehicle it almost seems like baiting. I hope not but certainly, without any explanations or comments, it seems like it. Happens all the time - got the wrong answer.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 07:34 PM   #19
bsmith0404

I try not to assume about a persons intentions. I can also understand the hope and desire a person would have. He has a very nice vehicle that has the “ability” to tow the weight of the rv. Unfortunately, it’s just not a good tow vehicle. I don’t understand why any manufacturer will say a vehicle can tow xxx amount, but then not build it so a WDH can be used. In many states it is required for anything Over 5k lbs.

I feel he had some doubts and was looking for reassurance. All I can say is at least he asked and is now armed with information. What he does with it is up to him. Hopefully things don’t turn out bad for him.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 06-11-2022, 04:09 AM   #20
notanlines

"I doubt ill have problems. But thanks for all the advice"
Does this quote from earlier tell you guys anything? In looking back, I believe Laredo caught on first and then the rest of you knew.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, outback, tow