Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2022, 08:36 AM   #1
KeystoneDiesel

2017 Cougar X-Lite 29BHS Hitch Height

Hello,

I am picking up my (new to me) 2017 Cougar X-Lite 29BHS this weekend and wanted to see if anyone knew the hitch height of this model. The gentleman I am buying it from has it stored in a building and won't go measure it for me prior to my arrival. Just wanted to know so I have the right height hitch on my truck for safety.

Thanks,
Andy
KeystoneDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 08:44 AM   #2
jxnbbl

spec link - link

just a ballpark of course
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 08:48 AM   #3
KeystoneDiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
spec link - link

just a ballpark of course
Thank you but I only see the hitch weight on there, not the hitch height. But thank you for the quick reply. I appreciate it.
Old 06-08-2022, 09:29 AM   #4
Laredo Tugger

Since it appears you have not pulled this trailer before, the hitch height is going to be a moving target until you hook up and observe the distance between the truck bed rails and the trailer. You have not mentioned what your truck is or what brand of hitch you are using. Also the angle that the trailer rides at (leaning to far forward or the pin is to high and the rear tires are taking the load).
These factors should be adjustable within your hitch design and pin box placement. In my opinion the hitch is the easier of the two too adjust. Check the hitch for bolts that can be removed and replaced in adjustable holes as well as adjusting the receiver height.
Good luck
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 09:45 AM   #5
KeystoneDiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
Since it appears you have not pulled this trailer before, the hitch height is going to be a moving target until you hook up and observe the distance between the truck bed rails and the trailer. You have not mentioned what your truck is or what brand of hitch you are using. Also the angle that the trailer rides at (leaning to far forward or the pin is to high and the rear tires are taking the load).
These factors should be adjustable within your hitch design and pin box placement. In my opinion the hitch is the easier of the two too adjust. Check the hitch for bolts that can be removed and replaced in adjustable holes as well as adjusting the receiver height.
Good luck
RMc
I apologize, I should have mentioned in the first post its a bumper pull trailer, not a fifth wheel.
Old 06-08-2022, 10:50 AM   #6
Laredo Tugger

My bad. Seems like everything thing on here is fifth wheel. For your TT hitch height adjustments, that should be obtainable with your WDH set up.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 11:07 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeystoneDiesel View Post
I apologize, I should have mentioned in the first post its a bumper pull trailer, not a fifth wheel.
Good starting point is figure the trailer coupler is 22” from the ground. Set your ball at 24” and you’ll be close enough to tow it home using WD/sway.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:25 PM   #8
bsmith0404

When I transported RVs I always had mine set to 20”. It worked out ok and was close enough to transport everything I moved without having to adjust the hitch all the time. For some it was a little low, I never had one that was nose high. Personally, I’d set it at 22” for the initial tow. You can always adjust it up a hole if needed. I just think 24” is a bit high, but may work for your ttrailer. I currently have mine set for 22” and have towed several trailers, it seems to be pretty close on all of them.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, hitch