Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2017, 08:14 PM   #1
RJF

D.C. Power when running on shore hookup

I have a 2006 cougar tag along and keep it stationary and hooked up to shore power. Have only owned it a year and am new to campers. I've read several places where people mention disconnecting the battery and see that all D.C. Powered items work. When I try this, nothing that uses D.C. Works. Could this unit require that the battery be connnected? I'm having D.C. Power issues and have installed a new converter. Still having D.C. Power issue. I charge the battery and D.C. Works until battery runs down a few hous later while running heater. Seems that converter is not charging battery and all D.C. Power seems to be coming from battery and not converter. Any help deducing this problem will be greatly appreciated.
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:31 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You probably have a WFCO 8900 series power center, likely with a 55 amp DC converter. You can download the WFCO operator's manual here: http://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conten...ors-Manual.pdf

On pages 4 and 5 you'll find the troubleshooting section. Follow those instructions carefully. They will identify any problem that you might have. Don't forget that if you have a battery cutoff switch (usually a big red switch) that it must be turned on for the battery to be charged by the converter.

Let us know what you find when you troubleshoot the converter. Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:32 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum
First off YES the battery has to be connected to the trailer for the DC appliances to work if not plugged into shore power. Very important that the leads be hooked up properly. As a rule the white is negative and black is positive. In some cases the red is positive and black is negative.

If you plugged into shore power without the battery connected, then you may have shorted out the positive cable and blown a fuse. Hooking up the battery backwards even for an instant will do the same thing.

Look at the fuse panel, there should be a long row of fuses, probably 15A and off to,the side should be a pair of 30 or 40A fuses. Test those. If everything is right then you need to test the output of the converter. When plugged into shore power it should produce 13VDC+, if it isn’t then look for blown fuses on the back.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:04 AM   #4
Bob Landry

The OP is hooked up to shore power so no battery is needed. All 12V stuff should work. If not, the converter is either bad or the AC circuit breaker feeding it is bad. I had to replace the C/B to the converter on my Outback. The output of the C/B is easy to check with a meter. If there is 115V going to the converter, replace the converter. The reason it runs down when running the furnace is that the furnace uses 12VDC to run the circuitry and also to power the blower.

I think the big reverse polarity fuses on the converter pertain to battery use only and do nor affect the operation of the converter when connected to shore power. Also, plugging into shore power with no battery will not blow any fuses. I've done it dozens of times with the battery switch turned off

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:24 AM   #5
ChuckS

Actually if the reverse polarity fuses are blown on the converter there will be no DC voltage output from the converter...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:06 PM   #6
RJF

Jrtjh, thanks for the link. Page 4 is very helpful. Bob thanks for the input on c/b. I'll definitely check. Chucks and chuckster57, I appreciate your input on the fuses. The camper is parked about 3 hours away so it will be a week or 2 before I can get back there to check things out. Was there this weekend but had to get back early this morning. I needed a plan to be prepared to check it out when I return. So thanks a ton for all your input. I'll let u know what I find out in a week or so.

I've not seen a red battery switch. Where is the typical location for this switch? Thanks again!
Old 12-31-2017, 03:38 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Battery cut off switches are often located in the front compartment on travel trailers and in the basement on fifth wheels. Not all RVs have one...mine doesn’t.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:27 AM   #8
RJF

Just to give an update. I was able to get back down and work on my camper this weekend and found that both of the 40 amp dc fuses were blown. I replaced them and everything has been working properly all Weekend. Y’all can correct me but I suspect that the old converter may have been the cause of the blown fuses. Thanks again for alll of your help!! It was as a great weekend to have the heater working again.

Tags
power