Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2018, 02:38 PM   #1
champyun

Warranty Question

Does Keystone have a manufacturers 'structural' warranty that would go beyond my normal dealership warranty? I have a 16 month old 2017 Keystone Outback and the flooring in the kitchen area is starting to get soft and sagging. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
champyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:13 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Typically, dealerships don't provide any warranty, they only service the factory (Keystone) warranty. An exception to that has been the recent (about the last 3 years) when some dealerships are providing a "free lifetime warranty". That is a "sales gimmick" in that all maintenance, an annual inspection and appliance cleaning/servicing and winterization/dewinterizationn must be done at the dealership. Essentially, they make enough money from doing all your maintenance and servicing to pay for the policy cost (third party insurance type policy) and make a profit to boot.

So, if you have a "lifetime dealership warranty" you might discuss the issues with your dealer. If your trailer was purchased after Keystone started offering a 3 year structural warranty, you may have some manufacturer's help. Otherwise, unless you purchased an "extended warranty" from your dealership, you probably don't have any recourse to get Keystone to help with repairs.

That said, Keystone has, on occasion, offered a "good will gesture" to some owners and helped them with repair costs. That doesn't happen often and there's no "specific course of application" that assures any help. You can contact Keystone Customer Service to identify your problem and see what they say. Alternatively, contact your dealer and see if they might have any suggestions on what you should do.....

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide to do. Good or bad, your experience with the dealer and Keystone may help another member with a similar issue.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:00 PM   #3
KHBama

Dixie RV lifetime warranty inspection can be done at any RV repair facility. With that said, very pleased with Dixie’s service dept here in Alabama. $199 for once a year inspection/maintenance (also caulked a few spots on roof and greased my landing gear) is not bad at all. Good luck to the OP, hope you can get some help with your problem. Would try Contacting Keystone directly 1st
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:19 PM   #4
champyun

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHBama View Post
Dixie RV lifetime warranty inspection can be done at any RV repair facility. With that said, very pleased with Dixie’s service dept here in Alabama. $199 for once a year inspection/maintenance (also caulked a few spots on roof and greased my landing gear) is not bad at all. Good luck to the OP, hope you can get some help with your problem. Would try Contacting Keystone directly 1st
Thanks for the info, but I'm in Montgomery, Texas
Old 10-18-2018, 08:35 AM   #5
champyun

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have given the Customer Service Dept. with Keystone, a call and explained my situation. I do not fall under the 3-year structural warranty that they began in September of 2017 (I took possession of mine in July - oh the luck), however, they said since I'm only a few months outside of my original warranty, I might be approved for a structural fix. I'll have to take it into the dealership, let them evaluate it, send in a description of the issue(s) for their review and they would make a decision. Anyone else ever had to do this and if so, what was the manufacturer's response? Possible time on how long a repair such as this would take (we reside in our RV)?
Old 10-18-2018, 08:53 AM   #6
Bisjoe

We have the "free" warranty and when we had the annual inspection we had to pay for the roof edge sealing, it's not covered. They would do a few spots free, but it was the entire length on both sides where the roof meets the gutters. What is covered (100%, no deductible) is suspension, brakes, water systems, appliances, AC, gas, heating, door handles/latches, and manual jacks. Your floor issue is structural and not covered by "Warranty Forever."

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:00 AM   #7
champyun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Typically, dealerships don't provide any warranty, they only service the factory (Keystone) warranty. An exception to that has been the recent (about the last 3 years) when some dealerships are providing a "free lifetime warranty". That is a "sales gimmick" in that all maintenance, an annual inspection and appliance cleaning/servicing and winterization/dewinterizationn must be done at the dealership. Essentially, they make enough money from doing all your maintenance and servicing to pay for the policy cost (third party insurance type policy) and make a profit to boot.

So, if you have a "lifetime dealership warranty" you might discuss the issues with your dealer. If your trailer was purchased after Keystone started offering a 3 year structural warranty, you may have some manufacturer's help. Otherwise, unless you purchased an "extended warranty" from your dealership, you probably don't have any recourse to get Keystone to help with repairs.

That said, Keystone has, on occasion, offered a "good will gesture" to some owners and helped them with repair costs. That doesn't happen often and there's no "specific course of application" that assures any help. You can contact Keystone Customer Service to identify your problem and see what they say. Alternatively, contact your dealer and see if they might have any suggestions on what you should do.....

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide to do. Good or bad, your experience with the dealer and Keystone may help another member with a similar issue.
JTRH: Here's an update to our flooring issue that you commented on ...
We contacted Keystone and were directed towards taking our RV to our dealer and let them assess, evaluate, take pics, etc., and then sending the info. on to them, for their evaluation/decision to cover it.

Our dealership Service Mgr. has gone above and beyond in coming out to us (at our site - we're full-timers) and putting 'eyes' on the issue and get the ball rolling. After the holidays, we'll take it in for their full eval and getting that eval to the manufacturer for their decision on fixing it. We understand that, if approved, this could be a 2-3 month 'fix'.

I'll keep you posted as to what Keystone decides as to covering or not covering the costs.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:46 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by champyun View Post
JTRH: Here's an update to our flooring issue that you commented on ...
We contacted Keystone and were directed towards taking our RV to our dealer and let them assess, evaluate, take pics, etc., and then sending the info. on to them, for their evaluation/decision to cover it.

Our dealership Service Mgr. has gone above and beyond in coming out to us (at our site - we're full-timers) and putting 'eyes' on the issue and get the ball rolling. After the holidays, we'll take it in for their full eval and getting that eval to the manufacturer for their decision on fixing it. We understand that, if approved, this could be a 2-3 month 'fix'.

I'll keep you posted as to what Keystone decides as to covering or not covering the costs.
It sounds like the "ball is rolling"... The holidays are a bad time to get anything accomplished, but after the first of the year, hopefully things will start moving forward for you. There are a lot of "horror stories" about how bad Keystone is to work with, but in my experience, if the dealership is accurate, thorough, documents the problem effectively with a good description and photos/receipts/etc to back up documentation that it is a "Keystone issue" and not a "owner/maintenance issue", then Keystone most often will help the owner. They really don't just walk away from every problem after 12 months of ownership. I've seen 3 and 4 year old trailers repaired with full funding from Keystone (when the dealership fully documents why Keystone is responsible) and I've seen repairs refused when the dealer "half heartedly" documents the broken part but fails to say "who, what, when, where, why"....

FULL DOCUMENTATION IS ESSENTIAL for Keystone to be in the game. It sounds like your service manager is on your side and aware of what needs to be done.

Good Luck and keep us posted as your "saga" continues.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty