Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2018, 05:36 PM   #1
Tbos

Back of 5th wheel, Molded vs floating or bonded backs?

Looking for thoughts and ideas about the 2 basic styles of backs on 5th wheel rigs. The one piece molded seem to be more expensive. Are they worth it? Sometimes the molded are only part of a package that can mean a price increase of over $10K. Thanks in advance.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:34 AM   #2
travelin texans

IMHO, the difference is totally aesthetic, it looks more finished & is usually on more expensive rvs & typically the rv comes with numerous other upgrades as well. As far as better/worse, no difference I'm aware of, all depends on what you like/want.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:33 PM   #3
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
IMHO, the difference is totally aesthetic, it looks more finished & is usually on more expensive rvs & typically the rv comes with numerous other upgrades as well. As far as better/worse, no difference I'm aware of, all depends on what you like/want.

Thanks, those are my basic thoughts too. Hoping some of the others will weigh in with opinions too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:59 PM   #4
bobbecky

On our rig, which is a 2012 Montana, we have the molded back cap, which was the only thing available then. Montana decided to create some different price points by changing to the flat backs for a lower price, but offer the upgraded legacy model with the molded back, other upgrades usually included with that cap. Inside the rig, you can't tell which is on the back. So, get what you like, it's your decision about how much you want to spend and what other upgrades you want. You may end up with the molded cap if you are in the market for other upgrades and the package would be a better bargain.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:26 AM   #5
Dave W

Our last 5er, an '06 Titanium, had a nice molded rear cap. The current one doesn't. We also looked at others from low end right up to way off our budget scale. There was a, best guess, 85% no molded cap vs a 15% with. I asked the dealer and his answer was simple, money. We will order you one with a rear molded version for several thousand dollars more or you can purchase what we normally stock at a much better price.

I really liked that molded rear cap but not that much for lots more $$
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel