Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2019, 04:38 PM   #41
LHaven

Left the entire rig at the Ford dealer today with instructions to make it all work. Dealer's tech guru says he's seen a lot of this issue on Ford trucks 2016 and later. From the research I've done on the web, I believe it. The tech guru's girlfriend just happens to work for Keystone, and they plan to get together and beat down the problem. This should be interesting.
Old 08-23-2019, 01:59 PM   #42
LHaven

Ford dealer did extensive checks on truck, repeated that truck is working within Ford specifications. Said Keystone was uninterested in collaborating towards a solution. When asked to put his trailer experts on the problem so that the issue could actually be fixed instead of ping-ponged and finger-pointed, he stated that his guys across town "work on trailers but are not trailer experts." He suggested yet another trailer expert 40 miles out, who could see me Wednesday earliest.

He stated he talked late yesterday to my Keystone dealer, who "told him that it was normal operation that the truck would not lock the trailer wheels." When I asked him how I was supposed to calibrate the controller, I got "hom tont ho." I have a call in to the RV dealer and am awaiting callback.

We drove the rig home set to high-10. Had DW do an "almost panic stop" on the deserted highway at 65. The output meter showed 10 power, and the braking seemed effective, but we had no way of telling if we were just on truck brakes or what. She says that the entire rig pulls right on a hard stop, though it stays straight on a medium-hard stop. There's no way high-10 is the proper setting for an F-250 pulling a 8800 (max) lb. 26' Cougar.

I'm contemplating whether I want to draw this out and spend even more money going to see the new techs on Wednesday, or whether I should just take everybody's word that my brakes are just fine and go on my trip.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:20 PM   #43
MarkEHansen

What happens when you are driving 25-30 mph and activate the brake controller's manual lever? Do the trailer brakes slow the truck? How much force do you feel?

If I dial my controller all the way up (it's a GMC, so only one gain of 0-10) and do the above, it pulls on the truck pretty hard, but does not quite lock up the trailer brakes. I think this is due to the fact that I've not yet adjusted the brakes since they've burnished-in - something on my todo list.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:19 PM   #44
jsb5717

Maybe already been suggested but put in a Tekonsha P2 or P3. I had the same issue with my RAM OEM controller and just didn't feel safe. My P2 works great...no more worries.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:06 PM   #45
LHaven

The manual squeeze control doesn't seem to do much at all at any speed. The first time I squeeze it, the force is nearly imperceptible. The second time, I feel slightly more force, but still nothing of any significance. This is what started this whole issue. Apparently this is "within Ford specifications." I'd really like to understand who wrote those specifications, and where they get the good drugs.

I ordered a P3 this morning, which should be coming in tomorrow, with the intention of having the Ford dealer install it for me next Thursday on their dime should the independent trailer techs conclude that That Boy Ain't Right. I think I'm required to have Ford do it, because there's some complication involved with euthanizing the onboard unit.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:19 PM   #46
LHaven

Brought the trailer into an independent pro trailer repair shop last Wednesday. Shop found grease on all four rotors, and one damaged seal ring. Assumption is that the "local" trailer shop run by our Ford dealer used the zerk fittings instead of hand packing, when they had it the previous week. (The photos show three of the wheels, one of them before and after cleaning where you can see the damaged ring.)

They cleaned all the wheels, they took me on the test drive. As the solvent burned off, I seemed to be able to feel the trailer brakes grabbing more and more, even at settings lower than high-10 (I believe the tech had it down to high-4 by the time we returned). Trailer seemed more responsive on the drive home. However (and this bothers me), the manual squeeze lever on the brake controller still doesn't hardly do spit, at any speed or setting. That's just plain crazy.

I don't have any more time to screw with this, as I'm up against trip deadline. I have three "professional" shops telling me that everything is hunky-dory, so I have to believe I'm being a hypochondriac. If you see me suddenly stop posting, avenge my memory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1652.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	23525   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1657.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	23526   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1653.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	23527   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1656.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	23528  
Old 09-03-2019, 04:18 AM   #47
chuckster57
Site Team

Why weren’t the DRUMS removed at the beginning of this whole thing? It takes less than 10 minutes to pull all 4 and inspect, and it’s one of the first things any shop should do after an amp check.

Anyway, if your manual brake lever does “nothing” then it’s an issue. Is it integrated? If so you may want to consider an aftermarket controller like a prodigy.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote