Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2019, 06:06 AM   #21
rbrdriver

As I stated earlier we use both the tripod and telescoping Jack's at the rear even though we do have the 6 point leveling system. Our trailer is long (42 feet) and there is a long gap at the rear of trailer past the rear hydraulic jack that almost "begs" for additional support.
rbrdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:28 AM   #22
Whitewolf

I know I'm jumping into this discussion a little late. We have High Country with the 4pt auto leveling system. We also have the JT StrongArms. Always rock solid when set up. Also I'm not storing the tripod in the basement during trips. If you get the StrongArms, just remember to loosen the t-handles on them before retracting the jacks. If you don't it'll scratch the paint off and may leave gouge marks on the inside bar. Did it AGAIN just last weekend. DOH!

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:24 PM   #23
Jmill8

Have used tripod kingpin stabilizer for many years, it does the trick for me. Also bottle jack frame behind wheels for more stability.
Jmill8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:05 AM   #24
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf View Post
I know I'm jumping into this discussion a little late. We have High Country with the 4pt auto leveling system. We also have the JT StrongArms. Always rock solid when set up. Also I'm not storing the tripod in the basement during trips. If you get the StrongArms, just remember to loosen the t-handles on them before retracting the jacks. If you don't it'll scratch the paint off and may leave gouge marks on the inside bar. Did it AGAIN just last weekend. DOH!
Suffering from CRS syndrome, I had the same thing happen. Luckily, nothing got bent.
Now I have one of those card stock tags (like the old sales tags with the wire).
I place the tag inside the control box door with the word STABILIZERS written on it...we'll see

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:57 AM   #25
jim1

After 30 years of wedded bliss a little extra bounce is sometimes appreceated!
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:23 AM   #26
johnlewis

Used the JT Strongarms on our 37' 5er, and worked better than anything else we tried. Jacks to take movement out of the suspension helped, but still had more movement than we wanted. JT Strongarms were the best thing we found.
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:43 AM   #27
Whitewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
After 30 years of wedded bliss a little extra bounce is sometimes appreceated!

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
Old 05-19-2019, 03:27 AM   #28
harris71

X-Chocks work for us

We use the BAL X-chocks between the wheels on each side. Seems to take out 98% of the movement even without a front pin stabilizer. Rig can't roll so no need for traditional wedge wheel chocks which sometimes require moving the rig to remove them. The X-chocks are easy to install and remove (recommend doing it when slides are in). They go on sale at CW from time to time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BAL X-Chock.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	21866  
harris71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:28 AM   #29
jsb5717

Yes, I use those as well. There are often very good prices for them on Amazon. Between those and the Strongarms, the coach is very stable.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:07 PM   #30
Old Mustanger

IMHO the X chocks should not be used in place of traditional wheel chucks, that would mean you install them before unhitching? I install mine after unhitching and leveling (I do try to remember them before running the slides out).
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:17 PM   #31
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mustanger View Post
IMHO the X chocks should not be used in place of traditional wheel chucks, that would mean you install them before unhitching? I install mine after unhitching and leveling (I do try to remember them before running the slides out).
I would agree!
Have read that inserting the X chocks before unhitching the rv then moves a bit when unhooked & damages tires from extra pressure.
Personally never used them & have no experience with them, but I could see that easily happening.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:02 AM   #32
concours

6 years ago we tried a tripod which was all but useless I installed BAL stabilisers which are similar to JT's you will see a huge difference by installing a set of 4 on the front but if you want it rock solid install 2 on the rear.
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:15 AM   #33
Hamops

I've used both the Key pin stand and JT Strong arms and the Strong Arms win hands down. The Key Pin Stand is more a boat anchor than a stabilizer.
Isspro EGT & Boost Gauges, Rear View Camera System, Prodigy Controller. Custom Auxiliary Fuel System
2014 Keystone Avalanche 295RL
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:31 AM   #34
Whitewolf

I used to use the X-Chocks and I really liked them on our TT's. But I had problems with the X-Chocks and the self leveling system on the HC 5r. I tried using the Chocks to stabilize the unit until I could level it. Because much of the weight is off the tires when the HC was level, the Chocks don't do anything. Once I even had one fall out. So now I use the old fashioned wheel chocks and just kick them in a little further after it leveled.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:33 AM   #35
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf View Post
I used to use the X-Chocks and I really liked them on our TT's. But I had problems with the X-Chocks and the self leveling system on the HC 5r. I tried using the Chocks to stabilize the unit until I could level it. Because much of the weight is off the tires when the HC was level, the Chocks don't do anything. Once I even had one fall out. So now I use the old fashioned wheel chocks and just kick them in a little further after it leveled.
I just bought the X-Chocks and discovered the same thing on our first outing. I'm sure they'll work on level ground but not when one side gets lifted during leveling.

I want the JT Strongarm struts but the spare tire is in between my two front leveling legs so I'd have to move the spare. I'm still hoping to find something that will work without having to move it.
B&W Turnover Ball & Companion Hitch
Torklift Stableload Rear Suspension & Revolution Steps
Handi Lift Elevator (not yet installed)
boxcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:43 PM   #36
bobnelms

I bought a tripod for the front, but that didn't do too well so I don't carry it anymore. I use JT stabilizers on the front (they work well) and also a Lippert Power Stabilizer Jack on the rear. I have a 37 foot Cougar -- and it works well.
bobnelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:27 PM   #37
Preyou

I just self installed the JT Strongarms on my 2019 Cougar 315RLS. The work very well if you bump the front jacks up after you set them. HOWEVER, lifting the bottom plate of the jacks is a bear! I tried an extension piece on the silver bullet and finally had to lay down and push up.

Any ideas??
Preyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:30 PM   #38
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preyou View Post
Any ideas??
make sure the locking screws are completely released and the "inner tube on the strongarm should slide easily"... That doesn't always help, so, maybe a 5 foot piece of 2x4 ??? Use the 2x4 as a lever to lift the extension leg, then pin it in place for the trip..... A 5' piece "should" fit in the front storage compartment without too much hassle getting it in and out. Anything longer may be hard to jockey into the storage compartment.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel