Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2019, 01:26 PM   #1
Spletbr

Smile Hot water drain

I have a 22' Cougar. How do I drain the hot water? There is a blue line with a petcock drain that I assume is draining the fresh water tank. Something separate for the hot water? Also, any idea how much the hot water tank holds?

Thanks as always, you're all very helpful!
Spletbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:32 PM   #2
Tbos

All my rigs have had a red/hot drain line too. Disconnect city water, turn off power and propane to WH. Open pressure relief valve and open the red line. Depending on where your line is it may drain the lines but not the tank. If you pull the anode or nylon plug depressing on your tank you will drain it quickly. My current one is 12 gal and it shot water out a good 7-8 feet. Don’t stand I don’t of that plug unless you want to get wet. Hope this works for you.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:42 PM   #3
KeithInUpstateNY

You don't say what model hot water heater you have, but they are all similar. There is a video on how to do a Suburban here: https://youtu.be/3GJYTNpCvyo

Below your trailer there should be three drain valves. One is usually by itself and that is for your fresh water tank. The other two should be close together and one is probably blue and one red. They are your low point drain lines for draining the lines that run to the sinks, showers and toilet. Open all the faucets to break the vacuum and drain the lines more completely.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:14 PM   #4
Spletbr

Angry

It’s a new TT and I wonder if they forgot the hot water drain hose. We did notice they forgot the gray water drain pull when we picked it up (just had black) and CW fixed that before we left.

I don’t even know where the hot water tank is located! The bottom is fully covered. Besides the holding tanks all I see is the single blue line ...
Old 04-26-2019, 02:28 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Look underneath closely and see how many lines extend below the belly with a valve on them. There should be 3. If you're looking at a single line coming out you may be looking at the fresh water drain and missing the other 2 which will probably be side by side. Where? Who knows. In the most unexpected, difficult location? Probably. Look behind the frame rails for sure.

When you find them and use them for drains your hot water heater won't usually drain well. I remove my drain plug (Atwood). I believe the Suburbans have an anode rod you need to remove. Also helps flush the sediment, if any, from the bottom of the tank.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:55 PM   #6
KeithInUpstateNY

The hot water tank will be on the outside of your trailer. Rectangular metal door with grill in it. If you watch the video I linked above you should have a good idea of what you are looking for. If we knew what model 22' Cougar you have we could probably find pics on the internet to help you if you are still having difficulty locating it.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:32 PM   #7
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spletbr View Post
I have a 22' Cougar. How do I drain the hot water? There is a blue line with a petcock drain that I assume is draining the fresh water tank. Something separate for the hot water? Also, any idea how much the hot water tank holds?

Thanks as always, you're all very helpful!
The only way to drain the water heater is to pull the drain plug. And it holds six gallons.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:00 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo57 View Post
The only way to drain the water heater is to pull the drain plug. And it holds six gallons.

There is another way. Open the low point drains, open the faucets and the pressure relief valve.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:25 PM   #9
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
There is another way. Open the low point drains, open the faucets and the pressure relief valve.
Chuck I've never thought about that method. I guess it's another good way as long as the cold water supply doesn't take some weird jog up higher than the tank.

I always have pulled the drain plug. When water stops coming out you know it's empty. ��
Old 04-26-2019, 05:53 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Your way is faster, I’ve done both.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 02:14 AM   #11
Spletbr

Great, it all makes sense now! Happy trails...
Old 05-05-2019, 09:37 AM   #12
BulletOwner1

Removing the actual hot water tank drain accomplishes more than draining the tank, especially if there is an anode attached. When I purchased my current trailer, used, I don't think the WH plug had ever been removed. That made it difficult. When it did come out the anode was basically non existent. And there was a fair amount of sediment. I bought one of those WH flush accessories for attaching to a water hose and rinsed the heck out of the tank.

So removing the plug regularly accomplishes:

Keeping the plug from locking in place.
Checking the anode periodically.
Cleaning out any debris.
And Draining any old stale smelling water out, We get a sulfur smell when we leave water in the tank for a period of time.

Tags
drain, water