Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2017, 05:29 PM   #1
CKGallagher

Passport 2400BHWE vs. Bullet 243bhs

We are trying to decide on our new trailer. The Passport 2400bhwe and Bullet 243bhs have made it into our top 3. They are so similar and I need some outside opinions on pros and cons because I don't think I can listen to another salesman. 😂 What would you pick and why? Any known issues with either one? Both would be 2017 models. Thank you understand advance!
CKGallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:41 PM   #2
Kemp716

I went with the Passport. Other than the full size queen bed and the slop of the front end, I really didn't see much of difference in them. The Bullet was a little less expensive, but I'm a big guy and bed sold me on the Passport.

2016 Passport 2400BHWE
2017 Ram 2500 HD 6.4 4x4
Kemp716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:45 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!!!
Hopefully someone that has the specific models your considering will chime in. In the meantime I will say this:
Get the one that grabs YOU. Sit in the seats and imagine watching TV, stand at the kitchen and have your other half walk by, is there enough room?

Forget the salesman and tell him you want some time by yourselves in each unit. Take your time, and you will be able to choose the one best for you. Good luck.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:13 PM   #4
busterbrown

When I was in the market for my bunkhouse pull behind early last year, the choices were narrowed down to 2 Keystone models, a Passport 3220BH and a Bullet 308BHS. Both had very similar floor plans, weights, and pricepoints. We ended up with the Bullet as it offered 3 important options the Passport did not: a solid entry door to the bunkhouse room (vs curtain), an additional pantry closet, and aluminum wheels. We did have to give up the 60x80 queen size bed (ours has the 60x74). Just an FYI, the full size queen did not allow enough space to walk around the front of the bed. Both models were twins of each other otherwise. The reasons above just sold us on the Bullet.

As previously mentioned, pick the floor plan first and foremost. If it comes down to multiple brands with exact floor plans, create a list of interior and exterior options that are different. Prioritize those based on your own taste. Thiings like an extra pantry cabinet was huge for us as we have three little ones to feed. The bunkhouse door was a close second. If one unit has more "pull-out" roller drawers in the kitchen and you find that as added-value, buy it.

Remember, both of these brands are 1st cousins of each other (arguably sibling twins). Models are manufactured on the same production lines, assembled by the same human resources, and sold by the same dealer network.

Your biggest worry may be if was assembled on a Monday or on a Friday. But that's another story.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:27 AM   #5
Tbos

When I bought my Passport 2810 bunkhouse it was a toss up with the Bullet 272. I wanted the longer mattress, I'm 6'2". We also liked the upholstery better in the Passport. The other was the size of the bathroom and head room in the shower. Chuckster is right on with his advice. Spend some time in each alone thinking about everything you'll do in it and see which one bubbles to the top. Good luck and welcome to the forum from Southern MD. Let us know what you decide. Have fun shopping.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:14 AM   #6
canesfan

All the advice ^^^ about spending time in it, without the salesperson if possible, is some of the best you will receive. I always do this, sometimes going back and forth over the course of days and weeks if I just can't make up my mind. Pretend you are using it, don't just look at it. Sit in it, lay in it, mess around in the kitchen, get in the shower, etc. (don't use the toilet, they may get mad at you).

When I bought the current rig, the dealer I had already decided I was going to buy from sold the one they had and I wanted to see it once more. I knew I wanted it, but needed to sit in it once more and actually take my daughter with me to get her opinion (she's great for that sort of thing, she talked me out of buying a Carriage Cameo several years ago, which I REALLY WANTED by telling me "Dad, you would never let us use it." She was right. It was too nice to "use" and I like to use my RV and not take my shoes off when I go in (unless they are a muddy mess of course). Anyway, I found a dealer that had one, called them, made an appt and took the daughter to see it. We got there and they "provided" TWO sales people to accompany us to the RV. They insisted on walking around with us, inside and out, blah blah blahing constantly about this and that which I couldn't care less about. I wanted to say "can you shut up and leave us alone?" I did tell them they could go about their other business because I wanted to take my time and look at it. Nope, one left and came back, the other wouldn't leave. I guess maybe we looked like we were going to put it in our pocket and walk off. Anyway, thankfully I had gotten to "sit in it" at the other dealer before they sold it, I just needed one more look and confirmation. I'll leave out the rest of the story about "having" to meet the sales manager blah blah blah and all. I went home and called the other dealer the next day and ordered it (and I didn't even have to meet the sales manager). Seeing it, being in it, picturing using it, is the best thing to help you make up your mind. If it doesn't seem right, it isn't, and you will know it. If it is "the one" you will know it too.

Good luck.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:39 AM   #7
canesfan

The Bullet has a laundry chute, looks like maybe a little bigger pantry (always a plus), looks like a little bit bigger bathroom, a single sink vs a 60/40 sink in the Passport, the bathroom doors open opposite. The Passport has about 600 lbs more carrying capacity. Of course any/all of the things are subject to change without notice.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:44 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^^I'm going to sound like a broken record.

It is imperative that you just sit in it and think through all the scenarios that would happen the way YOU camp. What's important to you and DW? What are your hobbies? Is there room for them? Kids? Will they be underfoot or have a place to go?

When we get serious I look alone with DW. I had one salesman that didn't really want to leave us alone and I told him "you can leave or I will".

With the similarities between the models you're looking at I would think it would be floorplan, floorplan, floorplan. Envision your style of camping, what you will be doing and what's important. To me, being able to see the TV while working in the kitchen is important (I'm the cook). We don't usually cook in the RV but when I do it will be later in the evening and I'll be watching TV.

Listen to the advice given above, think it through, get input from DW and/or kids then pull the trigger and go have fun!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:52 AM   #9
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
^^^^^I'm going to sound like a broken record.

It is imperative that you just sit in it and think through all the scenarios that would happen the way YOU camp. What's important to you and DW? What are your hobbies? Is there room for them? Kids? Will they be underfoot or have a place to go?

When we get serious I look alone with DW. I had one salesman that didn't really want to leave us alone and I told him "you can leave or I will".

With the similarities between the models you're looking at I would think it would be floorplan, floorplan, floorplan. Envision your style of camping, what you will be doing and what's important. To me, being able to see the TV while working in the kitchen is important (I'm the cook). We don't usually cook in the RV but when I do it will be later in the evening and I'll be watching TV.

Listen to the advice given above, think it through, get input from DW and/or kids then pull the trigger and go have fun!!
I need to take some lessons from my Texas family.

One other thing, being it's a bunkhouse I am assuming there are kids. Make sure they and the bunkhouse "fit" each other. Take them along and let them try it out. Might save a lot of misery on the first camping trip with it.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:32 AM   #10
Jeepshots

We bought a Bullet 243BHS earlier this year after doing a lot of research on models. The driving force behind our decision was strictly weight-based, due to towing vehicle. And bunkhouse - didn't want to constantly make/unmake dinette/sofa bed each morning. Kids can get up and leave the bed as is, while we can go about our morning and not have to trip over someone still zonked out. The 243BHS fit our requirements. We really like the bigger sink. Not fond of the shorter bed - and neither of us are tall. I'm 5'9", and she's an inch or so shorter (depending on heels). All LED thru-out the interior. LED strip for awning light. We like what we have, but didn't open our possibilities up too much when searching, since we knew there wasn't many alternatives to us based on weight/length.
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:41 AM   #11
Jeepshots

Oh - what's your third option? Ours was a Heartland Wilderness 2475BH. Sink and less weight sold us on the Bullet. I "gave up" the potential larger TV size that the Wilderness supports (both ship with same size TV tho). In the end, we are happy with our decision.
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Old 05-08-2017, 08:21 PM   #12
CKGallagher

Thank you, all! My husband is 6' and I am 5' 8" so the longer bed seems nice. We have looked at both, but I hope to sit in both again before making up our mind. Is $21,999 a good price for the Passport 2400bh? We are in Washington State.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:22 PM   #13
CKGallagher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepshots View Post
Oh - what's your third option? Ours was a Heartland Wilderness 2475BH. Sink and less weight sold us on the Bullet. I "gave up" the potential larger TV size that the Wilderness supports (both ship with same size TV tho). In the end, we are happy with our decision.
We were looking at the Jayco 25bh. It is more expensive, but would get us a couch. This is our first time buying a new rv and seems completely overwhelming!
Old 05-09-2017, 08:28 AM   #14
Tbos

Just did a quick search on RV Trader for the 2500BHWE and the prices range from $21,999 to $31,999. So it sounds like you might be in a good price range. You might try to get some additional savings or goodies like the hitch thrown in. Good luck. Hope it all goes well.

Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:03 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
Just did a quick search on RV Trader for the 2500BHWE and the prices range from $21,999 to $31,999. So it sounds like you might be in a good price range. You might try to get some additional savings or goodies like the hitch thrown in. Good luck. Hope it all goes well.

Sounds like you might be getting a pretty good price. You can do online research so you will know if you are comparing apples to apples.

Get the best price you can on the trailer then try to negotiate in a WDH hitch. Since it's your first time make sure they throw in the sewer hose, sewer adapters, maybe an AC adapter (30A/20A). If they won't throw the hitch in try to get them to reduce the price substantially. Get a good one. We use an Equalizer. Make sure they fill the propane tanks, air the tires up to the rating on the sidewall etc. Do a thorough PDI using the list from this forum. Get a good feel for the systems; what they do, how they operate, where they are and how to get to them.

You mentioned the Jayco was more expensive, and in my experience that holds true. Unfortunately, to me, they weren't built as well as the Keystone. They did come with a 2 year warranty if I recall but that wasn't enough to overcome our perceived advantages that the Keystone offered...IMO.

Good luck on your choice....but hurry, prime camping time is upon us!!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:08 AM   #16
Jeepshots

I bought my Bullet 243BHS from Lakeshore RV in Michigan. Bought it from them off of eBay, actually, for $18,495. Considering local prices were $21K and I saw them as high as $26K, i thought it was a good deal. So i pulled the trigger on it. Talk about nervous clicking on the internet....
Old 05-09-2017, 08:11 PM   #17
CKGallagher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Sounds like you might be getting a pretty good price. You can do online research so you will know if you are comparing apples to apples.

Get the best price you can on the trailer then try to negotiate in a WDH hitch. Since it's your first time make sure they throw in the sewer hose, sewer adapters, maybe an AC adapter (30A/20A). If they won't throw the hitch in try to get them to reduce the price substantially. Get a good one. We use an Equalizer. Make sure they fill the propane tanks, air the tires up to the rating on the sidewall etc. Do a thorough PDI using the list from this forum. Get a good feel for the systems; what they do, how they operate, where they are and how to get to them.

You mentioned the Jayco was more expensive, and in my experience that holds true. Unfortunately, to me, they weren't built as well as the Keystone. They did come with a 2 year warranty if I recall but that wasn't enough to overcome our perceived advantages that the Keystone offered...IMO.

Good luck on your choice....but hurry, prime camping time is upon us!!!
Thank you, yes it is almost camping season! We are both teachers and spend our summers camping. We are not first time trailer owners, just first time buying new. We have no trade and don't need the wdh so hopefully that will help. What did you find to not be as well built in the Jayco? We are looking at the Jay Feather line, not their lowest level.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:11 PM   #18
CKGallagher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepshots View Post
I bought my Bullet 243BHS from Lakeshore RV in Michigan. Bought it from them off of eBay, actually, for $18,495. Considering local prices were $21K and I saw them as high as $26K, i thought it was a good deal. So i pulled the trigger on it. Talk about nervous clicking on the internet....
Wow! That would make me nervous!
Old 05-09-2017, 09:14 PM   #19
Jeepshots

Yep - clicked on it, called 'em up the next day and did preliminaries. Drove up two weeks later and picked it up. Took our time coming back down to Arkansas, learning the camper as we went along. Found out we could burn thru a tank of propane in a few days when the windchill is 22 degrees outside...
Old 05-11-2017, 01:15 AM   #20
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKGallagher View Post
Thank you, all! My husband is 6' and I am 5' 8" so the longer bed seems nice. We have looked at both, but I hope to sit in both again before making up our mind. Is $21,999 a good price for the Passport 2400bh? We are in Washington State.
Regional, prices may differ. When I was in the market for my 35 foot Bullet, prices differed by more than $5,000.

I found two midwest dealers that are considered "RV wholesalers" who tend to move Keystone inventory much more than your average local dealer. Jeepshots purchased his there and so did I. Four other local dealers could NOT come within $2,000 of Lakeshore RV's price. The 3 hour drive was worth the savings for me.

Check around at Lakeshore RV and Holman RV in Ohio. Get some quotes on that particular unit. Then shop locally. If your local dealer can come within a few hundred dollars of the forementioned dealers, than I would buy it locally. If not, ask yourself if it's worth a road trip.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2400bh, bullet, passport