Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2019, 03:20 PM   #1
Team Evan

Mice

Hey there this is my first time on your forum and I have a question we have had our Keystone for three years and for three years I've been battling mice spray insulation everywhere I could possibly put it well today I took that little cover from in front of the bathtub off and there seems to be a big hole in the floor under the bathtub drain has anyone else had this issue and how do you go about fixing it.
Team Evan
Team Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:40 PM   #2
Pull Toy

Welcome to the group. Lot's of good company and info here.

I have found that a good (cheap) fix to mice and insect invasion, is to use balled up aluminum foil in any opening that they can find to get in to your camper. The critters won't chew thru aluminum foil. Stuff any opening larger than a pinhead. Anywhere your fittings come thru the floor are a good start. Water pipe, gas pipes, and electrical fittings are a good start.

Once sealed up, there are several repellant products on the market to "seal the deal". We've had good luck with Downey dryer sheets inside, and moth balls around the tires and jack stands. The drier sheets need to be replaced when the scent is gone, or they make good mouse nests. As a last resort, there are poisons that will kill the critters, but these may have additional issues. f you think mouse smells are bad, imagine dead mouse smells... where you can't get to them! Also your pet may find them. Not good!

Many other ideas may come up. We are all fighting the same battle.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:58 PM   #3
Team Evan

Thank you it really sucks that they keep getting in. I have tried many of your suggestions with no luck. I kill with mouse traps. I have been lucky to get them before they nest. But the hole in the floor is as big as comic book I wish I could figure out how to attach a picture. The computer is not my friend
Thanks
Team Evan
Old 05-07-2019, 04:03 PM   #4
Team Evan

Got pictures but they are side ways
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190507_184845.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	21751   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190507_184813.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	21752  
Old 05-07-2019, 04:27 PM   #5
bearcat77

Use cable ties to secure glue traps on top of the leaf springs. Once we started doing that, not a single mouse has made it in.
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:19 PM   #6
Brentw

I used pieces of garden mesh ( small mesh stainless) and pieces of 1/4 plywood that I cut to fit. Some of the larger holes required multiple pieces due to the shape of the cutout holes. Filled in smaller gaps with foaming gap filler. I also closed all gaps between cabinets to help compartmentalize sucurity.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:19 AM   #7
Team Evan

Thanks guys I am certainly going to be doing some of these.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:28 AM   #8
Tbos

Having a cat around helps too. Fortunately there has always been a neighbor that had an outside cat or a ferrel cat around that help keep the mice at bay.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:18 AM   #9
SAM101814

Steel wool works good too...they won't chew through it.
SAM101814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:51 AM   #10
yesiamapirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM101814 View Post
Steel wool works good too...they won't chew through it.
I agree! Steel wool stuffed in the small cracks and holes worked great. And it is easy to remove compared to the spray foam if you need to get it out one day.
yesiamapirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:09 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Steel wool tends to rust and can stain/make a mess that's difficult to clean up if there's any chance of exposure to moisture. Copper wool or brass wool seems to last longer, won't rust and is easier to "deal with" a couple years from now.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:20 AM   #12
yesiamapirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Steel wool tends to rust and can stain/make a mess that's difficult to clean up if there's any chance of exposure to moisture. Copper wool or brass wool seems to last longer, won't rust and is easier to "deal with" a couple years from now.
Thanks for that tip, John! I am going to ditch the steel wool for the brass or copper.
yesiamapirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 11:45 AM   #13
sprky69

Mice

Cannot seem to find where the mice are coming in..we have 2014 keystone hideout tt 29'. Left unoccupied over winter. Have done the steel wool, glue sticky pads, Irish spring soap and moth balls around perimeter of camper. No dead ones inside this spring but mice droppings several locations. Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks
sprky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 12:42 PM   #14
Logan X

I use sticky pads and poison traps at my house. The combo works pretty good. I was getting mixed results until I started wearing nitrile gloves when I set the traps. I read somewhere the mice will stay away from the traps if they can smell human on them. I’ve hade pretty much 100% success since I started using gloves.

Place the glue traps along the walls near the mouse droppings.

https://www.amazon.com/Tomcat-Killer.../dp/B004Q041W8
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 12:43 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprky69 View Post
Cannot seem to find where the mice are coming in..we have 2014 keystone hideout tt 29'. Left unoccupied over winter. Have done the steel wool, glue sticky pads, Irish spring soap and moth balls around perimeter of camper. No dead ones inside this spring but mice droppings several locations. Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks
I'd recommend Fresh Cab Rodent Repellent. Easy to use, non-toxic and keeps the trailer smelling fresh. Any Tractor Supply, most ACE hardware stores and Amazon have it readily available as do many other "farm/tractor supply stores".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FRESH CAB.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	26673  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:33 PM   #16
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprky69 View Post
If they are getting into the trailer then there's a hole or two somewhere. You need to crawl under the trailer and seal up every little hole that you can find. Also check for holes in the frame that they can crawl through. If you have a through frame slide can get in through the holes in the frame where the support arms and slide actuator go through.
Old 04-20-2020, 06:42 AM   #17
Ford F-350

There really is no easy fix, myself I use all and everything you can think of. I have noticed that motion lights also help along with dryer sheets, fresh cab and those pest electrical sonic plug ins, if read the package some say for rodents!
Ford F-350 is offline   Reply With Quote