Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2019, 02:58 PM   #1
Controller23

What kind of rug should I get for outside?

Newbie of course, maybe a dumb question.. I’m wondering what you all use for a rug under your awning??
Controller23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:24 PM   #2
Pull Toy

Most campgrounds prefer a "breathable" rug that won't kill the grass under it. They are a plastic open weave design that drains well after rain. Astro-turf is a definite No_No!

These rugs are available in many different sizes and colors, and many have a theme ( i.e. Deer or Smiley Faces, Campfires etc.) They are available at Wal-Mart, or any camper supply store.

Buy one ahead of time, as the Campground store will get a premium price $$$. or buy two smaller ones, as we do, to use together or separately, depending on your campsite set up.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:43 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Yes, we use what we call "mats". We have 2 that are 9x12 I believe and one that is probably 6x10. We use one of the big ones under our Clam enclosure and the other in front of the door under the awning. They are the plastic weave type that was mentioned above. I think we got 1 or 2 at Walmart and 1 at CW (more expensive).

They are very handy and we try to use them any time we are going to stay for more than a day or 2 in a campground that isn't very "improved" as far as ingress/egress to the trailer. Of course on short stays it's just one in front of the door.

Some places don't want you to use a mat but I've never been to a location that had unimproved access to the RV that objected - rules or not after I explained the problems we faced due to "their" site.

I have great praise for them. When we winter in FL our site is grass/beach sand. It rains a lot. When it does the water builds on top of the ground for a short period until it drains thru the sand. At that time, if you are coming or going, your shoes fill with beach sand, dead grass, dead leaves etc. We carry about a dozen rugs for cleaning along with one of those bristle boot cleaners - I got mine at Tractor Supply. None take care of the issue if you just walk on the ground. Enter the mat. This winter we had lots of rain and we had the big mat out front on top of the sand, dead grass etc. As the water grew the mat just floated on top keeping all the debris under it. I walked across it but it was just water....all the other stuff wasn't coming thru. I'm a fan and have a big stack of them out at the RV barn.

I will say that after 5 months the grass (sparse as it is) will be yellow - not dead. What we have tried to do in recent years is just pull the mat up for a couple of days when we have good weather so the grass can get some sun. Seems to improve things.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:46 PM   #4
Frank G

Totally agree with Pull Toy. We have found most campgrounds in the Midwest prohibit any coverings on the turf.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:34 AM   #5
{tpc}

Get one that allows the water to pass through. Ours does not, and while we continue its use (until it just wears enough we don't want it anymore), it is a PITA when it rains. Usually, if I know it is going to rain I pull up the edges that might be exposed so it doesn't get as wet, but that doesn't always work. A lot of times the weather is nice when we are leaving, so I can drag it into a sunny area for a little bit of drying time.

Be prepared to spend a decent amount if you get a good one and a large one at that. Trust me when I say it will be worth it when it isn't sopping wet lol.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:40 AM   #6
ken56

Just a plain ol' RV matt. Walmart has them, run about 50 bucks and up depending on size.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:15 AM   #7
SummitPond

If there's one in your area, the Aldi grocery chain has the plastic open weave rugs on sale this week for about $15.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote