Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2019, 09:14 AM   #1
yesiamapirate

Help Again..Rain coming in slide?

Hello again and thank you in advance for your help. This forum is truly the best resource for everything RV.....

My question. I live in Michigan. We have at torrential rain recently. My slide on my 27SAB trailer has been closed. I went to open it today and there was water on the floor. It was the part of the floor that the slide covers. I pulled out the slide and there it was. Quite a bit. There is a flap of carpet that covers the slide lip and the end of that was wet also. The rest of the carpet under the sofa, dinette..etc was dry. Just the edge of the carpet. It for sure came from under the slide. I carefully inspected all other areas and the only wet area was the floor. Walls, slide top and edge were dry.

Any thoughts?
yesiamapirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:23 AM   #2
Logan X

I would carefully inspect all of the seals on the slide room. Top bottom front back. Hopefully you can spot the area where the seal is compromised and you can troubleshoot from there. I think you have to find where water is getting in before you will know how to fix it.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:33 AM   #3
yesiamapirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
I would carefully inspect all of the seals on the slide room. Top bottom front back. Hopefully you can spot the area where the seal is compromised and you can troubleshoot from there. I think you have to find where water is getting in before you will know how to fix it.
I agree. Thank you for your input. I am going to go out and do that next. It is brand new so you never know. This is the first time I noticed anything like this. I am also wondering if the slide did not go in all the way?

It’s been one thing after another....
Old 05-01-2019, 11:15 AM   #4
yesiamapirate

Ahhhh ha! So it seems I am missing the silicone caulking that runs down the side of the slide. Not the rubber seal thing but the silicone that goes between the outside piece and the actual trailer wall. There is a trim like piece there on each side. I can see some caulk but then it is missing as you go up on each side. I will take a pick this evening.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:20 PM   #5
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesiamapirate View Post
Ahhhh ha! So it seems I am missing the silicone caulking that runs down the side of the slide. Not the rubber seal thing but the silicone that goes between the outside piece and the actual trailer wall. There is a trim like piece there on each side. I can see some caulk but then it is missing as you go up on each side. I will take a pick this evening.
It sounds like you may have found the problem. I have made that type of repair using high quality silicone caulking that I got from Lowe’s. I have heard others on the forum say they like Geocell. I attached a link below.

https://www.amazon.com/Geocel-28100V.../dp/B001FC98X2

I would probably remove any existing caulking before I applied new caulking, if that seems feasible.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:34 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

If your talking about the D seal that slides up on the end of the sweeper seal, I don’t think that’s your problem.

You have sweeper (flap) seals on the top and sides. That seal is held in place by screws or staples. On the outside edge of that is a bulb seal shaped like a D. The silicone on that outer edge isn’t critical, the corners of the sweeper seals and the position of the D seals is more important. Make sure the top D seal extends past the side seals.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:50 PM   #7
yesiamapirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If your talking about the D seal that slides up on the end of the sweeper seal, I don’t think that’s your problem.

You have sweeper (flap) seals on the top and sides. That seal is held in place by screws or staples. On the outside edge of that is a bulb seal shaped like a D. The silicone on that outer edge isn’t critical, the corners of the sweeper seals and the position of the D seals is more important. Make sure the top D seal extends past the side seals.
Good thoughts. I am headed out now. Thank you so very much for your input on this.

Tags
slide