Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2019, 06:18 AM   #21
atkinsb3

I blew my water lines out one year (live in Northern VA) but didn't add antifreeze. Ended up with a few leaks to repair the following spring. Since then I've I always made sure to use anti-freeze after blowing out the lines. Also capture what I can when draining the tank in spring and only have to buy a bottle or 2 when time to winterize rolls around again.

Bill and Kathy
2018 Passport 2670BH "Bubbles"
2017 Titan Crew Cab "Thirsty Lady"
atkinsb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:00 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsb3 View Post
I blew my water lines out one year (live in Northern VA) but didn't add antifreeze. Ended up with a few leaks to repair the following spring. Since then I've I always made sure to use anti-freeze after blowing out the lines. Also capture what I can when draining the tank in spring and only have to buy a bottle or 2 when time to winterize rolls around again.
I have done the same for the past 10 years. Use air to blow as much water from the lines (helps reduce the water that dilutes the antifreeze) and then use the water pump to fill all the lines with antifreeze. So far, even with -30F temps, no freeze damage. For me, removing as much water as possible helps keep the antifreeze undiluted, increasing its "protection factor". It's about 5 minutes added to winterizing, which is, about a 45 minute job, including cleanup after I'm finished. Easily (for me) a wise investment in time and effort as it's much easier than locating leaks and freeze damage in the spring, not to mention the effort to repair that damage. YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:10 AM   #23
cookinwitdiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsb3 View Post
Our winters are not as scary as the mid-west folks, but getting to somewhere that can repair stuff is a lot harder! Slim pickings on dealers and service centers around us. I did anti-freeze last year (installed the bypass kit), this coming year will be air blow-out + antifreeze.
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:16 AM   #24
German Shepherd Guy

So OP Bechard: What did you find out? Did you try turning on the pump when city water was connected? If so what was the result?

I am going with the theory that the pump diaphragm is leaking backwards. Although I will say every time that has happened to me there has been a little tell-tale water around the pump itself.

I de-winterized this year and had something similar happen but it turned out there was just still a lot of air in the system from the hot water tank and once that was purged it was fine. Took me a while though to figure that.

That was not what happened to you was it? From reading your post I am guessing not.

Those 12 volt pumps are not too expensive, so replacing one is not a barn burner and nice thing is you could put in a new one, tear apart and clean the diaphragm of the original, probably ( better than 50%) that would make the original work again, and then you would always have a back-up. Of course you could send it back to the company (A SHURFLO or FLOJET?) and they would fix it for free (assuming still under warranty) but then you would be out a water pump for the 2 - 3 weeks it took them.

I have lived off the grid for the last 38 years and pressurize my home water system with a DC pump. (Although a 24V version, it is identical) and have come to the conclusion through the years that having a back-up pump available is just the easiest, less stressful way to go. DC pumps just have issues, Sometimes right out of the box, sometimes a couple of years down the road, but issues always come.

Please post what the solution was.

Thanks.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:23 AM   #25
Bechard

I'll be working on it again tomorrow, but I've either got a bad diaphragm, air in the system, or air is getting into the pump inlet. No leaks anywhere that I could find.

I'll take apart the fitting on the inlet side and let everyone know what I find.
Bechard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:40 AM   #26
Thunk

similar issue after leaving fill switch in wrong position

I'm a little late to the party, but just ran across this thread today.

Some weeks ago, I had a similar problem where the pump was kicking on briefly. I'd say it ran 1-2 sec every few minutes. Turns out, I forgot to put the fill switch back to normal after filling the tank.

We were expecting a freeze that night, so I filled the tank, shut off the city water, disconnected the hose and turned on the water pump. It cycled every few minutes until I turned the fill switch back to "normal."
Thunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump