Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2019, 04:06 PM   #1
Picnic Patrol

Extended warranty question

Hello all! My family will take delivery of our Passport 239ml soon and I would like to know the general consensus on extended warranties. I have heard the stories of “just one time replacing the refrigerator, and it will pay for itself.” But I have also read the stories about how aggravating the warranties can be. All comments are welcome and thank y’all for having me in the forum!
Picnic Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:18 PM   #2
Tbos

Pass on the warranty and put that money in an emergency fund instead.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:30 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Look at the 5 year extended warranty for what it is: a partial repair warranty for the last 2 years on much of the trailer and the last 3 years of other parts that aren't specifically excluded by that warranty policy.

Keystone warrants the trailer for 1 year and then for a second year on the structure.

Each component manufacturer, axles, appliances, windows, awning, landing gear/hitch jack, batteries, tires, etc all are covered by the manufacturer's warranty. Most have at least a 2 year warranty, some have 3 or more years.

There are two "kinds" of extended warranty. One has a list of what is included (covered) and one has a list of what is excluded (not covered). with either, the list of what they will repair is limited and not "all inclusive" and all that I've seen do not start coverage until the manufacturer's warranty is expired.

Most of what will break on an RV will break during the first year. Most appliance problems don't occur until well after the 5th year. Given those two time frames, you can see why an "insurance policy" covering that narrow window on a limited list of items is a "sure bet to make money" for the company and a "generally poor investment" for the purchaser.

If you're handy with a screw driver and a hammer, plan to do your own maintenance and are mechanically inclined, I'd say to skip the expense and take the money, put it in a savings account and draw out of there for repair costs.

If you do elect to buy the "insurance", pay for it up front, don't finance it for the 12 or 15 years that you finance the trailer. At 6% for 12 years, you'll pay for the extended warranty at least two times maybe closer to three before the trailer is paid for.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:35 PM   #4
Picnic Patrol

Thanks for the replies! I’m handy with the tool box and my gut feeling is to pass on the warranty feeling I will do the maintenance and repairs myself. I have been reading this and other forums for about a year and have come to the conclusion that roof maintenance and a shelter to keep the rv under when not in use are very important. We are hoping for family memories and not the rv nightmares we read about in a lot of reviews! Thanks!
Old 04-12-2019, 06:20 PM   #5
Logan X

I agree with the others. Pass on the warranty and save the money. I have found that between YouTube and the information on this forum it is possible to do RV maintenance and repairs myself. I would personally rather do any repair myself than have my trailer sit for months at the repair shop. And the shop usually isn’t excited about doing warranty work because they usually get paid at a lower rate for warranty work. Just my opinion and congratulations on your new trailer!
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:10 PM   #6
MarkEHansen

Keep in mind that those folks who tell you "that warranty paid for itself when I needed to repair this or that..." are in a minority. The majority of folks are *not* going to have these problems. ... but they don't post that everything is great (well, some do).

If something breaking would cause you undue hardship, then you should consider insurance. For example, if you own your house and would not be able to afford to rebuild it in the event it were to burn down, then you should have insurance on it.

If your RV air conditioner were to break down and you couldn't afford to repair it (right away) then just don't use the AC until you can afford to repair it - no real hardship.

I used to purchase extended warranties, but learned the hard way they generally don't pay off, so I quit doing it.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:59 PM   #7
FlyingAroundRV

I agree, pass on the extended warranty. If as you say, you're handy with tools, you'll find most things on RVs are fairly simple to fix.
Besides, if extended warranties were such a good deal for the customer, the customers would be clamoring for them instead of having them rammed down their throats by dealerships desperate for that extra commission. It's the same deal as most stuff advertised on TV.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 04:14 PM   #8
MarkEHansen

No kidding about the dealerships. I was purchasing a new car once and the Finance guy kept saying "Just one more thing and then I won't say any more about it...", but he did that more than 10 times. I was trying to be polite, but I finally said: "I'm willing to get as angry with you as you need me to so that you'll shut up about this" and he finally quit. Whew!

I had one dealer wait until I was out of the room (I went to the restroom) during which time he had my wife sign it and then tucked it away so I wouldn't see it.

They are really snakes. You have to be on your toes and watch them every second.

When I purchased my current truck, I told the sales guy that when we go to the finance guy, I'll allow him to press the extended warranty 3 times and that's it. If he violates my limit, we're walking out. As a result, the sales manager finished our purchase - I never saw the finance guy. Perhaps they didn't trust that he could keep his mouth shut

Of course, they can tell you're being extra careful and always say "don't worry, we're honest here - you can trust us"
Old 04-13-2019, 05:11 PM   #9
Picnic Patrol

Thanks for the info everyone. Can’t wait to see how many “accessories” they try to sell me!
Old 11-12-2019, 03:48 PM   #10
RET.LEO

It's common sense that the odds are in favor of the warranty carrier. Otherwise they would not make a profit and not be in business.
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:14 PM   #11
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picnic Patrol View Post
Thanks for the info everyone. Can’t wait to see how many “accessories” they try to sell me!
There are some “accessories” you are going to need. A stinky slinky (sewer hose) comes to mind along with the other stuff that is required to operate the trailer and is not included in the purchase. Best to check out the guides available in this forum discussing what equipment is necessary and some information about (what should be) your upcoming PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection). Your chance to work everything in and around the trailer before driving off the lot. My first trailer dealer had a RV parking/camping area adjacent to the dealership. I spent the night in the trailer on their property and worked everything in the trailer. Every plug,light,sink,jack,stove,oven everything. Had to replace the microwave oven in the morning and was on my way a lot more prepared and confident about using the trailer.
Good luck
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:24 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

This thread is a little old and I'm sure the OP has made his decision, but, I thought I would throw something out on the extended warranty;

Bought one on this trailer. Never buy them but I did on this one simply because of the more complicated items in them anymore. When I returned from a trip this year knew I had a leak underside somewhere. Took it in, had a leaking gray tank, $3100. I paid $300. I'm good with that and it more than paid for the policy.

Worth it every time? No. Nice when you have it? Yes. Sort of like all of the other kinds of insurance you buy and never use.....UNLESS!!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:46 PM   #13
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
This thread is a little old and I'm sure the OP has made his decision, but, I thought I would throw something out on the extended warranty;

Bought one on this trailer. Never buy them but I did on this one simply because of the more complicated items in them anymore. When I returned from a trip this year knew I had a leak underside somewhere. Took it in, had a leaking gray tank, $3100. I paid $300. I'm good with that and it more than paid for the policy.

Worth it every time? No. Nice when you have it? Yes. Sort of like all of the other kinds of insurance you buy and never use.....UNLESS!!!
Oops, Missed that one Danny. Will have to start checking dates on here.
Thanks
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:11 PM   #14
Picnic Patrol

I did not buy the extended warranty. Put that money towards a shelter to put the Passport in to protect it from the elements and do the routine maintenance myself! Just to pass along a positive for all the negatives out there, we have enjoyed several vacations in our 239ml with no major issues! With the last trip being this past week and temps dropping in the 20s, I have learned that I am not an “extended season” camper even though the 239 maybe. But the kids had fun and that’s why we bought it, to make memories and enjoy life! Thanks to all that ask questions and the knowledgeable people that answer them, you have truly made ownership an enjoyable adventure so far!!
Old 11-12-2019, 05:41 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Good to hear back and everything has gone well. That's generally the case and the memories built with the kids are priceless and irreplaceable. As for winter camping, we have determined the same thing about "extended" camping. Our winter camping is in a house or condo these days.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:25 PM   #16
Jim2366

You can buy a warranty online where you are not paying the high commissions to the finance manager and dealership. I did not buy one at all the savings of cost will pay for a lot of repairs.

Finding a good RV shop is the best bet.
Jim2366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:45 AM   #17
chunker

Yes an older thread but not that old. First it's not a warranty, it's a service plan or maintenance insurance plan with LOTS of limitation and pre-conditions. Read it if thinking about it. Generally speaking a bad idea for the buyer and great idea for the seller. Commission on them is generally equal to what a real cost is so yes they push them hard. A savings fund as stated is the best option for the buyer. Note don't spend that fund until the RV is gone.

If you insist on one don't finance it, pay cash. By financing you'll probably so far upside down on the RV you'll never in the black on the loan.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:47 PM   #18
Huntme

not worth the ink,it is written in.
Huntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:50 PM   #19
Picnic Patrol

“If you insist on one don't finance it, pay cash. By financing you'll probably so far upside down on the RV you'll never in the black on the loan.“

My philosophy on “toys” in general. Finance your home and first vehicle, everything else should be paid for in cash. We don’t have a lot, be we sleep very well at night!
Old 02-05-2020, 02:33 AM   #20
Roscommon48

not worth it. put the money in a draw and you'll be ahead.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty