Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-29-2018, 01:17 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadatis View Post
Used the tirespecifications you gave and added 10% to the2020lbs topicstarter gave.
Then the 65psi tire would need 55psi , I calculated with the safer official European formula, ( I once got hold of, and went running with.
That they give 65 psi is general advice for trailers.
Most trailer tires are ST wich are calculated in maxload for 65mh. This gives no reserve anymore for things like unequall weight, pressure loss, etc.
Thats the reason for that standard advice of 65 psi for D-load. E- load would need 70 psi for the 2540lbs maxload of D-load.
But if you are shure of the 2020 lbs a tire as you weighed( and I added 10% to cover unequall weight R/L) , the E load would need 60 psi.

When I calculate advice for trailers, I add 10% and lower maxload, as if its a Q speedrated tire, wich is calculated in maxload for 99mh.
Then you have the highest pressure, with max reserve, with still acceptable comfort and gripp.
Comfort for a traveltrailer, is that your screws wont tremble loose from the woodconstruction.

Can do that for you, but need more information.
fi if you have ST and if weighing was fully loaded.
Number of tires and axles.
Let's use a little "Cajun logic" and relate it to tire pressure. I don't go to the bank and withdraw $200 and toss $20 in the trash can on the way out the door. I don't go to Burger King, order two Whoppers and toss one in the trash on the way to the table, I don't buy tires with a specific rating and try to find ways to not use them fully.... If the tire is rated at 2400 lbs at 65PSI and 2800 pounds at 80 PSI, why toss that extra protection (weight carrying capacity) in the trash before hitching up the trailer???? Now, if that extra pressure was going to cause damage to the trailer, yes, I'd consider that aspect, but so far, NOBODY has ever documented to me that there is trailer damage incurred when running LRE tires at 80 PSI on a trailer suspension that was delivered from the factory with LRD tires rated at 65 PSI...... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote