Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2017, 11:10 AM   #1
rosede

TV tire pressure when towing

I just came back from a trip with a buddy. We have similar tow vehicles Ford F150, 5.4 liter engine, and similar trailers. My buddy told me that he fills his TV tire pressure up to 65 pounds with towing. He said that improves his handling and performance.

Any thoughts on this? Any truth behind this?

Thanks

Daryl

rosede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:19 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Depending on what type of tires (and their rated maximum pressure) what he's doing could be "appropriately inflated tires" or it could mean "DANGEROUSLY OVERINFLATED TIRES"....

To explain, if he has LT tires with a load rating of E (10 ply) then their maximum tire pressure probably is 80 PSI. Inflating those tires to 65 PSI on a half ton truck would probably meet the load requirements and provide for a stable, comfortable ride.

ON THE OTHER HAND, if he has P rated tires, which typically have a maximum pressure rating of 41 or 44 PSI, then inflating those tires to 65 PSI could cause tire failure, especially with heavy loads, and subsequent loss of control, damage to equipment and or serious injury or even death.

So, it would depend on the kind of tire he is using. There's a lot more that you'd need to consider before following his advice.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:27 AM   #3
Racebug

I run 80 psi in my tires but after about an hour of towing in the summer, I have seen them up around 92-95 PSI hot.

2017 Fuzion 417
2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn
Racebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:37 PM   #4
rosede

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Depending on what type of tires (and their rated maximum pressure) what he's doing could be "appropriately inflated tires" or it could mean "DANGEROUSLY OVERINFLATED TIRES"....

To explain, if he has LT tires with a load rating of E (10 ply) then their maximum tire pressure probably is 80 PSI. Inflating those tires to 65 PSI on a half ton truck would probably meet the load requirements and provide for a stable, comfortable ride.

ON THE OTHER HAND, if he has P rated tires, which typically have a maximum pressure rating of 41 or 44 PSI, then inflating those tires to 65 PSI could cause tire failure, especially with heavy loads, and subsequent loss of control, damage to equipment and or serious injury or even death.

So, it would depend on the kind of tire he is using. There's a lot more that you'd need to consider before following his advice.
I know that he has Michelin. I'm not sure if they are LT tires or not, but I'm guessing that they are.

I myself just put on a set of Bridgestone Dueler LTH. Any thoughts about inflating mine to 65 PSI when towing?

Thanks

Daryl

rosede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:19 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Michelin produces "P" series LTX truck tires and that's what I had as OEM on my 2010 F150. They also produce LT series LTX tires and that is what was OEM on my 2013 F250 and my 2015 F250. They are significantly different tires with very different capacities. Just because they are Michelins doesn't mean much. Look at the sidewall and see what the maximum inflation pressure and the maximum load ratings are. That's the only way you'll know what that Michelin tire ratings are is to look at the sidewalls.

Michelin LTX tires come in a range of kinds/ratings from P to LT in a variety of sizes. Each is a "VERY DIFFERENT" tire and pressures vary depending on the tire.

Your Bridgestone Dueler LTH as far as I can tell, is also available in P and LT types, so the "brand name: Dueler LTH doesn't mean anything, it's the P series or the LT series and the actual ratings (max pressure/max load) that are molded into the actual tire carcass that will give you any options you might have to run a specific pressure.

So, what is the "molded in rating" for pressure and maximum load on the tires that are sitting under YOUR truck? That is the information you need to know whether 65 PSI is allowed for your tires. Then, knowing the weight that's placed on that axle (both when you're towing and when you're driving solo) will give you the information you need to use the tire load chart to determine what pressures are best for your specific situation.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-28-2017, 04:21 AM   #6
jkohler70

My SUV has Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus tires. The door placard recommends 32 psi. This is what I run normally. The tire states max load 2337 lbs at 51 psi. I run 50 psi when towing. There is a noticeable improvement in ride and handling when loaded.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:29 AM   #7
rubenhank

Are you increasing the pressure in all four tires or just the rears?
2014 Ram Laramie 3.92 Axle 5.7 Hemi
rubenhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:03 AM   #8
Carrottop

I have a 2009 F-150 with the 5.4 and Goodyear Duratrac LT with max pressure of 80psi. After many opinions on these forums I took the truck with the trailer loaded 6500lbs to a Goodyear dealer I know (has owned his shop for 40 years and I trust what he tells me). He advised 50-55 psi with no load and 70psi with the trailer loaded. His main point is that tires will increase 1 psi with every 10 degree increase in temp. That means on any decent road trip with a load you will increase your inflation by at least 5psi. Loading 80psi in a LT tire cold could be dangerous. So I decrease the pressure in the city when not towing and inflate to 70psi when towing and the truck pulls like a dream. I inflate all four to 70psi as I run a 4 point weight distribution hitch and keep a balanced load.

Just my .02 cents.
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:34 AM   #9
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrottop View Post
I have a 2009 F-150 with the 5.4 and Goodyear Duratrac LT with max pressure of 80psi. After many opinions on these forums I took the truck with the trailer loaded 6500lbs to a Goodyear dealer I know (has owned his shop for 40 years and I trust what he tells me). He advised 50-55 psi with no load and 70psi with the trailer loaded. His main point is that tires will increase 1 psi with every 10 degree increase in temp. That means on any decent road trip with a load you will increase your inflation by at least 5psi. Loading 80psi in a LT tire cold could be dangerous. So I decrease the pressure in the city when not towing and inflate to 70psi when towing and the truck pulls like a dream. I inflate all four to 70psi as I run a 4 point weight distribution hitch and keep a balanced load.

Just my .02 cents.
If your tire temperature is increasing by 50 degrees, there is something seriously wrong. The tire inflation pressure on the door sticker is set by the manufacturer of the vehicle. That number is the inflation pressure that they state will be sufficient to handle the TV GVWR. I typically see an 8-10 degree rise in tire temperatures when towing. That equates to roughly 1 psi.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:05 AM   #10
Carrottop

Not to get into a debate with you but I was referring to cold inflated temp vs. use on a hot day while on the road for a significant amount of time. It will increase more than 1psi, maybe not 5psi that might be a stretch but certainly more than one. Also the sticker on the door is based on the tires that came with the vehicle new if you upgraded from say a p tire to an LT tire that sticker while still should be considered is no longer the final word as the tire manufacturer will state different. In the end it is what feels right to you on the highway. The main point I was trying to make was you should never fill to max psi cold.

Again just my opinion, you know what they say about opinions they are like *** everybody has one.

Nice Truck by the way I am jealous that beast could literally pull anything!

Happy camping.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:13 AM   #11
Desert185

Quote:
Not to get into a debate with you but I was referring to cold inflated temp vs. use on a hot day while on the road for a significant amount of time. It will increase more than 1psi, maybe not 5psi that might be a stretch but certainly more than one. Also the sticker on the door is based on the tires that came with the vehicle new if you upgraded from say a p tire to an LT tire that sticker while still should be considered is no longer the final word as the tire manufacturer will state different. In the end it is what feels right to you on the highway. The main point I was trying to make was you should never fill to max psi cold.

Again just my opinion, you know what they say about opinions they are like *** everybody has one.

Nice Truck by the way I am jealous that beast could literally pull anything!

Happy camping.
The thing is the sidewall on the tire advises max tire pressure cold, so that is max, not a number below max for that tire regardless of application.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:21 AM   #12
Carrottop

You are correct, however that is the MAX the manufacturer is recommending that is really used for extreme loads and shot distance. No manufacturer would recommend running their tires at max psi for an extended road trip under load. Even if you look at your door sticker and assuming you have the factory tires on your truck the sticker will show a lower psi than the max on the side of the tire. There is a reason for that. Again not wanting to debate and in my opinion you need to inflate to what feels right to you when driving.

Just my thoughts on it.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:06 AM   #13
Javi

Quote:
You are correct, however that is the MAX the manufacturer is recommending that is really used for extreme loads and shot distance. No manufacturer would recommend running their tires at max psi for an extended road trip under load. Even if you look at your door sticker and assuming you have the factory tires on your truck the sticker will show a lower psi than the max on the side of the tire. There is a reason for that. Again not wanting to debate and in my opinion you need to inflate to what feels right to you when driving.

Just my thoughts on it.
Just a note... many pickup LT tire are 80psi... which is both the max and the manufacturer stickered running pressure.. My '12 F250 was that way... 80 rear and 65 front..
https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...2&d=1368899606
Old 06-28-2017, 09:27 AM   #14
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkohler70 View Post
My SUV has Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus tires. The door placard recommends 32 psi. This is what I run normally. The tire states max load 2337 lbs at 51 psi. I run 50 psi when towing. There is a noticeable improvement in ride and handling when loaded.
What the tire is not telling you is it has to be derated by about 10% when used on a pick-up truck. The regulations say to divide the 2337 by 1.1 to get the derated value = 2124#.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:32 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:

Just my .02 cents.
It seems that periodically we have someone who posts that the "MAXIMUM INFLATION PRESSURE" for a tire is (let's say for an LT tire) 80 PSI, so you have to adjust the cold inflation pressure below that to remain safe since the tire will heat up with use and the pressure will rise above 80 PSI. THIS IS NOT TRUE !!!

The maximum tire pressure MOLDED INTO THE TIRE CARCASS is the maximum COLD inflation pressure. The tire manufacturer has engineered an anticipated rise in temperature when operating in hot environments and that is calculated into the maximum COLD inflation pressure. If the tire is inflated to 80 PSI when cold, it WILL rise above that when the tire is in operation. The rise in pressure is perfectly safe and will not degrade the tire. In every tire tech manual that I've read, there is a statement that instructs the owner to NOT DEFLATE A HOT TIRE.

In other words, a tire pressure increase is perfectly fine "IF" the owner has inflated his COLD tires to the maximum pressure rating stamped on the tire carcass... ie: if the maximum cold inflation pressure is molded into the carcass recommending 41 PSI, then as the tire is used in a hot environment, it is anticipated that the PSI will rise, possibly well above 41PSI and it is normal to operate the tire at the elevated pressure....

So, if your tire has a molded in statement that reflects: "MAXIMUM COLD INFLATION PRESSURE 80 PSI" and your tire dealer has told you that the maximum PSI for your tire (when hot is 80 PSI) and that if it is anticipated to be operated hot, that you should reduce your COLD pressure to something below 80PSI so you can "adjust the hot PSI so it's never greater than 80 PSI", then ask him to show you that in writing. He won't be able to do so.

Here's a statement from Michelin: Air pressure in tires, including the spare, should be checked at least monthly and always before extended driving. Tires should be checked when they are cold (at least three hours after the vehicle has been stopped and before it is driven more than one mile). Do not reduce pressure when tires are hot; use an accurate air pressure gauge to check pressure and maintain it at the level recommended on the vehicle tire vehicle placard or in the vehicle owner’s manual. Under-inflation produces extreme flexing of the tire and builds up heat to the point that tire failure may occur. Over- or under-inflation may adversely affect vehicle handling. Cold tire pressures should never be higher than the limit molded on the sidewall.

Essentially, there is no tire safety hazard from operating your tires at the maximum COLD inflation pressure molded into the sidewall. The pressure is expected to be above that figure when the tire is in use during hot weather and is engineered to be safe at the elevated pressure.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-28-2017, 09:43 AM   #16
CWtheMan

The correct tire pressure for the OE tires on your truck is what is recommended on the certification label/tire placard. Deviations will be found in the vehicle owner’s manual.

If you want to use something above what has been recommended for whatever purpose its OK. Just don’t use less than what has been recommended by the vehicle manufacturer or more than has been recommended for the tire’s maximum load capacity. And, always provide some load capacity reserves. If you cannot do that you are over weight.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:46 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:

Just my thoughts on it.
Here's the door sticker recommending 80 PSI (max pressure) on a Ford F350.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TIRE PRESSURE STICKER.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	13214  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-28-2017, 10:43 AM   #18
Carrottop

I was speaking about an a 1/2 ton not a F250/F350 that is built and intended to carry a load. Of course they are going to recommend max pressure. And I did state that filling to 80psi cold for a long trip could be dangerous I did not say it is or there will be imminent failure. As I stated in all of my posts this is my opinion and recommendation of a man lives and breathes tires for 40 years. Again just an opinion just as yours is. I did state at the end of each of my posts that you should inflate your tires to what you feel comfortable with and gives you the best drive and handling. I have never owned an F250/F350 so have not had the privilege to see how they handle. I am happy to admit when I am wrong and obviously based on your vehicle sticker I am. But I stand by my statement about not filling to max unless necessary on a 1/2 ton again my opinion. I run mine at 70psi cold when towing and it performs great if other campers have success at different psi's then great and all the best to them.

As I said before opinions are like *** everybody has one.

Happy Camping all.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:20 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I was speaking about an a 1/2 ton not a F250/F350 that is built and intended to carry a load. Of course they are going to recommend max pressure. And I did state that filling to 80psi cold for a long trip could be dangerous I did not say it is or there will be imminent failure. As I stated in all of my posts this is my opinion and recommendation of a man lives and breathes tires for 40 years. Again just an opinion just as yours is. I did state at the end of each of my posts that you should inflate your tires to what you feel comfortable with and gives you the best drive and handling. I have never owned an F250/F350 so have not had the privilege to see how they handle. I am happy to admit when I am wrong and obviously based on your vehicle sticker I am. But I stand by my statement about not filling to max unless necessary on a 1/2 ton again my opinion. I run mine at 70psi cold when towing and it performs great if other campers have success at different psi's then great and all the best to them.

As I said before opinions are like *** everybody has one.

Happy Camping all.
I have highlighted (in red) three statements in your response that I think need a response.

First: An LT (or any tire for that matter) is no different in construction when placed on a F250/350 or on an F150. To think, somehow, that Firestone, Michelin or any other tire manufacturer builds "two different LT tires" one for "real trucks" and a different one for "half ton trucks" is simply not reality. ALL TIRES ARE CONSTRUCTED TO SPECIFIC STANDARDS WITHOUT CONSIDERATION FOR WHAT VEHICLE THEY WILL BE PLACED ON. AN LT TIRE LOADED WITH 1500 POUNDS AT 80 PSI DOESN'T "KNOW" IF IT'S ON A F150 OR A F350. Tires respond to weight and pressure, not vehicle model or brand.

Second: To believe that a tire is subject to failure (imminent or long range) because it is operated at the approved inflation pressure is incorrect. ALL TIRES ARE CONSTRUCTED TO OPERATE AT THE MAXIMUM INFLATION PRESSURE ESTABLISHED BY THE MANUFACTURER. THERE IS NO INCREASED DANGER FROM OPERATING AN LT TIRE AT 80 PSI OVER OPERATING IT AT 65 PSI AS LONG AS THE TIRE IS NOT OVERLOADED FOR THE PRESSURE THAT IS USED. IT'S THE LOAD/PRESSURE RELATIONSHIP, NOT THE PRESSURE THAT WOULD INCREASE THE POTENTIAL FOR FAILURE.

Third: Inflating your LT tires (rated at 80 PSI cold inflation pressure) to 70 PSI is acceptable (provided the load you place on those tires is compatible with 70 PSI). If your load is greater than the tire manufacturer's load rating chart (at 70 PSI) for the tire that you're using, then you're running your tires "underinflated" and subjecting them to failure. If, however, your tires are not loaded heavier than the chart approves for 70 PSI, then you're perfectly fine at that pressure. Note, however that if you inflate to 70 PSI COLD pressure, you may well be running at 75-80 PSI when the tire is at "operating temperature" while on the road. WHAT YOU HAVE CHOSEN IS PERFECTLY OK, PROVIDED YOUR TIRES ARE NOT OVERLOADED AT 70 PSI.

THERE IS NO INCREASED RISK OF FAILURE (IMMINENT OR LONG RANGE) FROM OPERATING YOUR TIRES AT THE MAXIMUM PSI RATING. You may find abnormal wear at the center of the tread if the tire is "inflated greater than the load requires" but that will not increase the risk of failure, just accelerated tread wear.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-28-2017, 12:39 PM   #20
Carrottop

John,

I agree with everything you have stated with exception to point one. I never stated there was a difference in the actual tire on an F150 vs F250/F350. The conversation you noted was based on the door sticker on an F250/350 is noted at 80psi vs a F150 that is rated below on the psi. Thanks for the good conversation always like to hear other people's opinions. You have a great summer and keep the shiny side up.

John S.

Tags
tow, towing